Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 wheel steering
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dasreboot
Admiral

Member Avatar

803 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/19/2016 :  12:17:35  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
have many people made this conversion? I dont want wheel steering, so no need to dissuade me, just curious.

http://vermont.craigslist.org/boa/5742988110.html

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2016 :  18:21:14  Show Profile
Definitely the exception + unsightly hardware on the rudder.

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2016 :  16:54:24  Show Profile
If you know what a Poser is, as in "He has an awesome board but can't ride", then you understand the danger of over indulging on toys on a 25' boat... no body wants to be "All hat and no cattle". On the other hand if an "overupgrade" makes you smile then put those two speed self-tailers on and have a ball. No T-cockpit no wheel.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2016 :  19:26:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pastmember

...No T-cockpit no wheel.
That points to a disadvantage of a wheel on a C-25: the cockpit is narrow, with very little space between the seats, so with a wheel, you'd pretty much have to climb up on a seat to get around it. (I guess in that boat you could sit down and slide under it--not what you want to have to do to quickly get to a winch.) I haven't seen one other than in a few pictures like that. The C-250 cockpit is substantially wider, and a fair number of C-250s have wheels. Not that I would want one on either.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2016 :  19:39:38  Show Profile
I wouldn't want a wheel I couldn't stand behind. It seems to me on our boats the cockpit sole isn't wide enough for standing. You'd have to move the mainsheet forward of the wheel to avoid helmsman decapitation.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2016 :  05:31:37  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

quote:
Originally posted by pastmember

...No T-cockpit no wheel.
That points to a disadvantage of a wheel on a C-25: the cockpit is narrow, with very little space between the seats, so with a wheel, you'd pretty much have to climb up on a seat to get around it.

yeah my cheoy lee 36 was like that. you stepped up on the cockpit seats to get around it.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2016 :  08:11:06  Show Profile
I've always enjoyed skippering wheel boats more than my mine.... until I got the balanced rudder. You couldn't pry the tiller out of my hands now.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2016 :  09:11:37  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by jduck00

I've always enjoyed skippering wheel boats more than my mine.... until I got the balanced rudder. You couldn't pry the tiller out of my hands now.

I agree, I dont get the same feel, or know exactly where the rudder is with a wheel . On a wheel steered boat im always looking down at the rudderpost( at least in light winds when the helm is sluggish).

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2016 :  13:28:45  Show Profile
The wheel can be especially problematic when you start backing out of a slip!

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2016 :  16:19:43  Show Profile
Probably the real reason he's selling the boat. Got tired of banging his knee's and shin's on that dumb thing.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2016 :  05:46:32  Show Profile
If you ever charter a bigger boat on vacation, or buy a bigger boat, the overwhelming likelihood is that it will have a wheel. Steering with a wheel really isn't any more difficult than steering with a tiller. It's just different, and, there's a learning period involved, just as there was when you first learned to steer with a tiller. The rudder works the same, regardless of whether it is controlled by a tiller or wheel. It just takes a little practice to train your brain to know the difference.

The biggest thing you'll miss is the feedback that you get from a tiller. You get feedback from a wheel, but it's much more subtle and it takes awhile to develop it. In the absence of tiller pressure to tell you when the boat and sail trim are in balance, you need other indicators to help you steer the boat into it's "groove." The most helpful "tools" you can use for that purpose are the vane atop the mast, sail telltales, and an apparent wind indicator (AWI). The AWI is invaluable at night, because you can't see the telltales or the vane, but the AWI tells you when you are steering at the correct closehauled angle.

When the vane's arrow is pointing at the index, you will be close to the correct angle to sail closehauled. If the telltales aren't streaming, then you are steering too close to windward.

When steering with a tiller, you get much of that information from the feel of the tiller. With a wheel, all those tools provide a substitute for that feedback.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/23/2016 :  10:20:55  Show Profile
A wheel generally also prevents a common error among novices: over-steering, such that the rudder "stalls", becoming more of a brake than a rudder. Wheel systems generally limit the rudder angle to something like 45 degrees, which is roughly the limit for efficient turning (unless you can turn the motor 90 deg. so the boat pivots in place).

I once went out with another guy on his boat, and he almost crashed into some boats across the fairway from his slip because he pushed the tiller hard over to about 90 deg., and the boat went virtually straight ahead, with him cursing at it! I grabbed the tiller from him and we turned just barely in time.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page