Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 2005 to 2016 Mtn/Upgrades
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/19/2016 :  04:11:04  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I just posted regarding end of season upgrades. Thought I would share the total major mtn and upgrades since owning the boat (click on hyperlink to specific website page below). This spans the years fall 2005 - present. Bear in mind, this reflects work performed on a boat that is in the water all year-round and is sailed frequently in all those years. For a new boat buyer...it may seem like a horror story. For existing owners, it may seem like an overkill.

The list also has to be updated with having just replaced the compass and last Spring/Early Summer stripped all the Varnish/Cetol off of the hatch Boards and companioway trim, applied teak oil and a Sunbrella cover with snaps to cover the companionway.

Also, the list does not include subsequent addl periodic mtn such as:

Every 3-4 years, bottom painting with a ablative/copolymer paint; re-applying a once over all interior wood with Howard Products about every 3 years or so; re-applying Cetol every year on exterior wood rails, etc; re-applying 2 coats of PolyGlow every year; Regreasing/oiling winches every 2-3 years....and changed out all lines/sheets at least once during mid point in last 10 years. Oh - Also periodic outboard mtn and changed water impeller about 4 years ago. (I sail in freshwater.)

http://catalina25.homestead.com/ListMajImprMaint.html

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 09/19/2016 04:22:36

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 09/23/2016 :  14:30:50  Show Profile
Larry:

My list since 2006 is similar -- a lot of "stuff" has been done -- some upgrades, some maintenance, some "oh what to heck". The only scary thing is the accumulated cost! But like all shocks, when you stop and think, about half really fit into the maintenance category and all, combined, are still less than either the cost of a new boat or the cost some of my friends have paid for the privilege to play golf! SO after reviewing the list the only real question is . . . . "what's next!?"

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/23/2016 :  14:59:49  Show Profile
Ya, never add them up, and never EVER divide the total by the number of days you get out! At least half the pleasure of a boat is knowing it's THERE whenever you want it, "messing about" with it, and thinking about and planning what you want to do with and to her next! Even better for me, her slip is just a few steps outside my door! (But I have to be very careful to take my own advice!)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/23/2016 :  16:22:30  Show Profile
Ha,Ha Dave, Never add it up. Reminded me of what one guy said last weekend at the Marina's customer appreciation barbecue. "This is my $6000 hamburger" as he took a bite.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2016 :  03:51:06  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
"Never add it up"....well that is a good one....and probably true. The thing is that for many, the boat is as much a hobby as it is a sport. I recall several years ago when I had to face the decision if I was going to fix the blisters on the hull bottom. I had kept an eye on them thru the annual pressure washes and bottom painting every 3-4 years and they were more each year and getting larger. I knew it was going to be a major expense to have them taken out and then waterproofing the bottom but in the end, the bottom would be better than new. I decided to take the plunge. But considering that I sail throughout the year and frequently, I do make a lot of use of my boat and so it was worth it to me versus letting it go and then eventually face multiple issues that would mount up. So, I have pretty much addressed whatever has been needed thru the years and in many cases turned a maintenance chore into a boat improvement.

I am now at the point that I want to replace the exterior and interior cushions. Surprisingly, I asked around and received 2 local leads besides the 2 that I had come up on my own. So, this Fall/Winter's project is to get estmates and replace the cushions.

Larry

Edited by - OLarryR on 09/26/2016 03:52:09
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2016 :  03:55:27  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Dave has the ultimate boat on your mind all the time situation. He walks out of his house and his boat is right there. I would think it hard not to constantly think as to what next to do...or maybe just sit onboard and look things over each day.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2016 :  20:56:15  Show Profile
Actually, I often just sit on board in the slip, but I watch the osprey, egrets, great blue herons, night herons, kingfishers, bunkers trying to escape the snapper-blues, contrails heading from JFK to Venice, Vienna, Istanbul,... and spectacular sunsets. You might be surprised by how obsessed I'm not about the boat. (The poor girl might be starting to worry...) Being over 70 probably has something to do with it...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2016 :  03:14:48  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I enjoyed the times I visited. You have a great location and view on or off the boat !

Larry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page