Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 keel trunk damage
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jmczzz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
92 Posts

Response Posted - 09/14/2016 :  13:20:26  Show Profile
I cut the opening for a 4 in inspection plate on the starboard of the compression post as close as the rim of the screw ring would allow. That part of the bilge had about a gallon and a half of old rain water. I sponged it out to empty and now have a light on it to dry it out good.
from the port side I pushed a copper wire thru the space under the comp. post where the water appeared to be coming from. after a few twist and pulls I got several wads of ancient crud out of there thru the new inspection port. I was surprised to find that the head floor below space is open to the starboard walkway bilge space. The floor (stringer to some) does not go all the way across. To give some support to the liner deck at the entry to the head where the deck drops down I will use islander's idea and wedge/epoxy a vertical support cut from a piece of scd 40 pvc. That will leave the bilge open to forward and reinforce the walk way deck next to the inspection port I cut open. Seems to me the shortened floor should have gone on to the floor supporting the starboard bulkhead. so some added support there is now needed.
dmpilc & offshoreaccount>> the base of the post does not seem rotten just swelled up If it seems ok when it drys out I the I'll fill the space under the c. post with a mix of structural filler, saturation epoxy. that should stop up the passage from the bilge and support the c. post.
>islander, I logged a lot of nm in the Northern Gulf in my C22 the swing keel was a good idea for those shallow sounds, bays, and h-cain holes up rivers. it was a rehab boat as well. The C25 is so similar just bigger that it made sense because of that and of course the economy of a dead mans boat needing a rehab capable new owner. Like you, given the $ and freedom I can think of a lot of boats I would like to do this cruise in. Part of my route will include the Canadian rivers and canals and the North Channel has some great anchorages that require a shallow draft. There was a guy that circumnavigated the Gulf of Mex in a C22. Seamanship, prudent-ness good planning and a seaworthy boat can be a great equalizer.
thanks for the support and interest, Sailors... Pics to follow...James

1978 C25 SK SR # 808

Edited by - jmczzz on 09/15/2016 04:16:33
Go to Top of Page

jmczzz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
92 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2016 :  04:31:38  Show Profile
Now I am looking for the most efficient way to make a separation between the compression post base and the starboard bilge. Making the area under the c. post solid is needed so structural filler epoxy mix may be the best choice. The need to get it clean and dry under there may be hard. Putting a form producing divider in there from the starboard bilge working thru the 4" inspection port isn't going to be easy either. Probably the best would be to do it in stages. Pour unthickened epoxy down there to a point that levels it out then when cured press filler / epoxy mix in there from both sides. It should be possible to form it if mixed to the recommended "peanut butter" consistency.
Those are my thoughts so far. any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
James

1978 C25 SK SR # 808

Edited by - jmczzz on 09/15/2016 04:34:09
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2016 :  06:48:39  Show Profile
Having some trouble visualizing what you are attempting to do and where . . . but I am wondering if you can accomplish the above using rot resistance lumber - shaping the pieces to the curvature of the hull, sandwiching pieces together with resin, if needed.

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - OJ on 09/15/2016 06:50:03
Go to Top of Page

jmczzz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
92 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2016 :  07:11:59  Show Profile
OJ, here is the area I am referring too.

Questions; is there a small space between the forward port settee seat compartment bottom and the hull?
The space below the compression post is not deep and it is connected to the under the liner walkway deck on the starboard side of the compression post. It seems as though this small space should be filled so that the c. post bottom is in support contact with the hull. And it should be blocked off from the starboard bilge so that any more water that gets in there is not in contact with the c, post.
Maybe I should chip out more of the material in the compartment bottom so that this space (the dark space in the pic) is bigger?
thanks for your input. James

1978 C25 SK SR # 808

Edited by - jmczzz on 09/15/2016 07:14:48
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2016 :  08:21:24  Show Profile
Still a little fuzzy on the above pix. Is the wood piece the compression post? I am wondering if the compression post should be resting on the hull at all. Think of house framing, a bearing wall has support all the way to the footer.

I wonder if you shouldn't be talking to someone at Catalina Yachts. They are very helpful and have a good history of sharing drawings that don't appear in manuals.

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - OJ on 09/15/2016 08:22:54
Go to Top of Page

jmczzz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
92 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2016 :  11:55:43  Show Profile
OJ, yes you're right,That is the compression post. It is 1/2 in above the hull. It is supported on the curvature of the keel trunk. There is a hard substance (2 part foam or some sort of filler?) supporting the c. post and holding it to the keel trunk, floor supporting the bulkhead and the side of the settee. My C 22 was the built the same except the post was not quite as close to the hull bottom. I agree it should also be getting support from the hull, however from a pad of fiberglass cloth and resin to spread the load out. Good idea about calling the Cat. yachts. Do they have a help line? I have talked to the C D tech help man on other matters he is helpful. My plain is to build a pad under the compression post about 8 - 10 inches long running athwartships. That will add the hull support. The other step is to encapsulate the comp. post in epoxy to stop water intrusion as that is very close to the lowest point in the bilge. It is pretty dried out now but the post while not rotten is still wet so I have a lamp on it to dry it out. Here are some additional pics. I tried to label and comment so you can tell what they are.
thanks for the input. James
new inspection port installed>
port view of comp post resting on keel trunk curve, 1/2 in space above hull>
strbd view thru new inspection port, c. post exposed to any bilge water, space 1/2 in above hull>
day light thru keel trunk where gel & paint was taken off - looks thin, electric light is from port side of post.>

1978 C25 SK SR # 808
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2016 :  13:17:25  Show Profile
You might also consider a second 4" inspection port for the floor of the dinette. Remember that you have the hump for the retracted keel running almost 5' aft. This separates the space between under the floor and the outer hull. If you had water under the floor, I'll bet you also have water under the floor on the dinette side.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2016 :  17:20:33  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jmczzz

strbd view thru new inspection port, c. post exposed to any bilge water, space 1/2 in above hull>

I see what appears to be the bottom of the compression post. I also see what appears to be a stringer. I wonder if the compression post is notched and part of it sits on the stringer. So this would confirm that the post does not sit on the hull?

Contacting Catalina Yachts:
http://www.catalinayachts.com/

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

Edited by - OJ on 09/15/2016 17:21:56
Go to Top of Page

jmczzz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
92 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2016 :  04:13:59  Show Profile
Not on a stringer, it sits on the curvature of the keel trunk. That is aft of the post bottom you see in the photo. It does not sit on the hull. My C22 is the same way. I will put a support in there and fill the space with epoxy / filler mix after making a form to separate it from the starboard bilge area. James

1978 C25 SK SR # 808
Go to Top of Page

jmczzz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
92 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2016 :  09:45:39  Show Profile
I used 2 " F G cloth tape and epoxy to isolate this area at the base of the post. after pouring thickened epoxy into the low area under the tip of the post. After that base and the taped sides set up I filed the remaining area with thicked epoxy (but still flowing. I then secured strips of epoxied tape all the way up the exposed post securing it to the forward bulkhead and the keel trunk. It is all solid now and well supported.
Thanks for all the input and esp the pics.
James

1978 C25 SK SR # 808
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page