Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Main sail preventer
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Akenumber
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/08/2016 :  18:02:37  Show Profile
When going down wind I have been using a preventer to the stanction. I was wondering if anyone has used the boom vang for this purpose or possibly rigging a couple of blocks with a cam cleat like the main sheet. Any expertise would be great. I use this setup on the ocean and sometimes with light motor.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2016 :  08:47:16  Show Profile
The boom vang holds the boom downward towards the mast step, but does not restrict port or starboard movements. You could re-rig the boom vang as a preventer, but you are usually on a fast broad reach or a dead run when you need to prevent an accidental jibe. In potentially dangerous situations it is critical to avoid going forward to adjust the rigging.

Years ago when visiting SF, I learned from Paul Zell that a preventer makes sailing on a run safer and more relaxing. I manned the helm while Paul held the genoa out to starboard with a whisker pole, and rigged a preventer to port. This was while running downwind in "the slot" where there are frequently strong winds entering San Francisco Bay through the Golden Gate. He mentioned that there are both tricky winds and tricky currents around Alcatraz and Angel Island.

So when I had the chance I bought several second-hand, genoa track cars and blocks (at Minnie's) and I rigged 2 preventers that attach to the boom vang bail and run to stand-up blocks on cars on the port and starboard genoa tracks then back to the cockpit. They are permanent running rigging on my boat. When sailing on a run in heavy winds or moderate and variable winds, I secure one of the preventer lines to a cleat in the cockpit and breathe a sigh of relief. In light following winds, the boat can even do a 360 with no danger of a jibe.

I avoid attaching running rigging to the stanchions.

In my sailing area, the Chesapeake Bay, the winds blow from any of the 4 directions and can change without warning, which sometimes makes for dangerous conditions. For example, in July with my old sailing buddies from college we went from the Magothy River on the western shore 40 miles down the Bay to the interesting town of St. Michaels on the eastern shore. I recall that we had 15-20 kt west winds with gusts to 30 kt. It was a fast sail on a beam reach with about 3 foot waves. We hanked om the 60% storm jib, tucked 1 reef into the main, and secured the main with the sheet, the vang, and the port preventer. It was really fun bouncing down the Bay at hull speed, and it was a safe trip as well.

I thank Paul Zell for showing me his use of the preventer on his C25.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2016 :  11:08:29  Show Profile
Great idea. Especially having them available all the time.

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI
Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2016 :  00:32:44  Show Profile
To JohnP
Any chance of getting a pic of your preventer rigging?
Sounds like just what I'm looking for.
Thanks
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2016 :  08:54:57  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
There was a little discussion of this recently:

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29977

The thread was titled: "Jibe prevention"
(I know, I know; it was supposed to be "Gybe prevention")

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

jefferydfloyd
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
30 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2016 :  11:33:57  Show Profile  Visit jefferydfloyd's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by JohnP

So when I had the chance I bought several second-hand, genoa track cars and blocks (at Minnie's) and I rigged 2 preventers that attach to the boom vang bail and run to stand-up blocks on cars on the port and starboard genoa tracks then back to the cockpit. They are permanent running rigging on my boat. When sailing on a run in heavy winds or moderate and variable winds, I secure one of the preventer lines to a cleat in the cockpit and breathe a sigh of relief. In light following winds, the boat can even do a 360 with no danger of a jibe.

I avoid attaching running rigging to the stanchions.

Any pics of how you rigged this would be appreciated !

Jeff Floyd
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2016 :  11:37:49  Show Profile
I often sail with novice sailors who cannot seem to grasp the idea of avoiding an accidental gybe, even when the dangers to themselves and to the standing rigging are explained. The preventers save everyone some grief on our pleasant day sail.

When I sail single-handed on a broad reach or a run, I often have several things to do besides monitoring a following breeze, and a preventer eliminates one of the big problems I foresee.

I suppose that with Steve Milby's racing teams, it is a very different situation, with everyone hopefully quite experienced and very attentive!

I will get some pix and post them for those interested.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay

Edited by - JohnP on 09/20/2016 11:40:21
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2016 :  18:19:04  Show Profile
Thanks for the info John. My topic was dead for so long I had a lot of time to do some research. I concluded that using spare Genoa track cars and adding a couple cleats is the best way to go. So, rite on. I also plan on permanently rigging this new setup. Thanks again.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2016 :  03:37:56  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by JohnP

I often sail with novice sailors who cannot seem to grasp the idea of avoiding an accidental gybe, even when the dangers to themselves and to the standing rigging are explained.

I share your pain. A small subset of novices just cant ever get the idea of what direction the wind is coming from. They ask me amazed how I know this stuff. I tell them first I can feel it blowing on me, but I can always look at the windex which POINTS AT THE WIND!

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page