Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Navigating in Fog
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/25/2016 :  05:51:50  Show Profile
So as not to further hyjack the GPS thread that turned into a fog thread, I'll post this new piece from Sail here. Noteworthy points, I think, are the use of the VHF, sound signals, and contour lines on the depth sounder (as Chuck Shaw described in the other thread).

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2016 :  07:25:52  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
i was thinking or making an automated foghorn based on a marinized electric horn and an arudino for timing. probably will never needit, but you never know.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2016 :  12:53:34  Show Profile
I like the Arduino concept for a foghorn but this being a marine environment and me being an EE hardware guy, why not use a dual 555 timer? It's about $1.50
It can gate the foghorn to blow for 2sec each 60 seconds and if it gets affected by the salt air, you can just chuck the timer and spend another $1.50

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2016 :  17:49:55  Show Profile
Fog - thick fog - like < 50ft visibility is nearly impossible to handle. I had an experience with it one Sunday morning when I knew there were only a few boats out. I used my charts and GPS to track my movements and blew my horn once per minute. I tracked around the local shoreline and an island and shoals about 1-2 miles out.
When the fog finally lifted I found myself at a point 1/3 opposite the island that I thought I should have been. Scared the schist out of me once I retraced my track on a chart.
All I can say is I'd rather be lucky than good!!!
Fog is the test of a sailor!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2016 :  03:42:01  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager
why not use a dual 555 timer? It's about $1.50

cuz I'm a sysadmin who can code, not an EE. dont forget 2 long for power vessel not making way, and sailing vessel making way (1 long 2 short)

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2016 :  09:23:35  Show Profile
I had my first taste of real fog this summer in the San Juans. Getting ready to leave our mooring ball, we saw a fog bank a few miles North and moving South. We were heading south, so decided to push off and try to stay ahead of it...hoping it was slow moving and/or would dissipate prior to reaching us.

By the time we reached the channel and set sail, the fog was right behind us. We chose to drop sail and motor back to bouy and wait it out.

By the time we dropped sail, we were in full fog. Started motor and I, on the helm, reversed course while my mate changed screens on the gps so we could back-course to the mooring.

I executed my 180 (without aid of compass as the mate was blocking my view...I just guessed based on intuition, knowing I could make final adjustments once gps was on the "course" screen.

Done. Mate calls out, "ummmmmmm. You did an exact 360!"

Wow.

I already knew the seriousness of fog, but the experience brought the knowledge to a whole new level, if you know what I mean.

Nature is so humbling.

Btw, I think my fog horn going off automatically would scare the crap out of me every time! Lol!

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page