Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Cruising Forum
 GPS
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladeswell
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/19/2016 :  15:07:30  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Everyone,

I'm not sure where I was supposed to post this question so I thought I would try here. I am wondering what you guys think about hand held GPS opposed to the more expensive mounted versions. I would only be using it occasionally for trips to Catalina Island. About a 26 mile cruise off shore. More often than not, Catalina is visible from start to finish but there may be times when I will need to do it at night or in foggy conditions. Thanks.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.

Tahoe Cruiser
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
72 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2016 :  23:20:11  Show Profile
Handheld gps is good. Just have extra batteries with you. The mounted ones are expensive and stuck on the boat. I have mine because of the depth gauge is built into it or I would have just used a handheld. For 400.00 I got depth and gps and it can hook up to autopilot and wind gauge for a lot less then all off those units separate from one another.

1998 250 WK/TR #355 "Trail Break"
Lake Tahoe California
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2016 :  07:56:15  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
We have a (now) dedicated Garmin C-276 chart plotter that we use on the boat. However, before that I used a Garmin GPS-12 hand held, and I still bring them along as backups (I've got two, found one really cheap in a pawn shop and couldn't not buy it). I used to use the chart plotter in my car as well, but I've since found a dedicated Garmin Nuvi (sensing a pattern here?) that I got for super cheap from a friend, that came with free maps & traffic for life.

My charts are somewhat out of date on the chart plotter, but we also have an iPad with Garmin's free Charting app on it, which also has free updates to the chart data (which cost $30), so we bought an environment case for the iPad to protect it from splashes & rain, and bring that along when we need more precise chart data.

I've only had cause to use the chart plotter in low visibility conditions twice, once in the dark, and once in the fog. By far the in the dark was much-much easier than in the fog.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page