Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Mooring/docking depth
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrKawfey
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
124 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/14/2016 :  11:47:51  Show Profile
We have an opportunity this fall to keep our boat at a friend's dock on lake George. Unfortunately it's a shallow dock and I'm concerned about having enough depth. I haven't had a chance to measure it but from memory is going to be borderline at best

Any thoughts on what a comfortable depth with the board up would be? Or clearance under the board?

Their camp is in a bay that's protected from the most of the big chop on the lake and rarely gets much wind, but we will certainly get wakes.

Also, we were anchored with the board up a couple weekends ago and just using my body parts as rulers then using a tape measure at home I figured my boat has about a 28" draft. Anyone else actually measure theirs?

Chris
Sacandaga Lake, NY
1984 C25 SRSK
"Les's Moor"

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2016 :  12:21:26  Show Profile

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/tech/c25spec.asp

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - OJ on 08/14/2016 12:24:51
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2016 :  14:34:19  Show Profile
Hard to say but Lake George is regulated by a dam and I don't know how constant the water level is. Also take into consideration what the bottom is made of just in case you do bottom out.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

MrKawfey
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
124 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2016 :  15:05:05  Show Profile
Thanks for the link. I'm aware of the draft spec, but my boat always seemed to ride a bit higher. More interested in what most people think would be appropriate clearance underneath.
The bottom there is all sand and for the period of time we will be there the level will only change an inch or two.

Chris
Sacandaga Lake, NY
1984 C25 SRSK
"Les's Moor"
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2016 :  17:59:18  Show Profile
Well, if you're looking for opinions, I get nervous when I have less than 4' of water under the boat with the keel raised when exploring. The rudder has a deeper draft than the keel when the keel is raised, but I'm not sure how much deeper, maybe 4-6". I'd hate to crack my rudder.. If I'd spring for the $1k kick-up rudder, then I'd be happy with less than 3'.

So, what do you think of this: does the slip have 4' of water when Lake George is at its lowest typical water level?

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2016 :  21:09:57  Show Profile
For what it's worth, I have docked in 4' of water for 5 years now and have found no damage on the bottom of my rudder. ( I have a wing keel, but the rudder is the same.)

I would not want it any less than 4' either.

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 08/15/2016 :  03:41:34  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Besides clearance from the bottom, one of things you may have to contend with is plant growth. The warmer summer this year has brought significant growth in some areas and this can considerably muck things up dockside and possibly for getting out into deeper and open water. You may want to take a look and see what's doing.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

MrKawfey
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
124 Posts

Response Posted - 08/16/2016 :  05:53:00  Show Profile
So, it sounds like the rudder is the lowest point? Despite swimming under the boat several times I don't think I ever noticed that the rudder hangs lower than the keel. I guess if that is true it would make sense that my rough measurement of the waterline to keel bottom was less then the advertised draft.

I am not worried about the rudder. I can switch the cotter pins for a hitch pin and just hang it on the stern rail if needed.

The last time I anchored with the keel up in shallow water we had clearance under the keel that was about the distance from the floor to my knee or about 22". I felt that we would be ok with significantly less clearance, but just not sure how much.

Chris
Sacandaga Lake, NY
1984 C25 SRSK
"Les's Moor"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page