Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Sailing Door County for First Time - Need Advice
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kper
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/27/2016 :  17:11:28  Show Profile
A friend invited us to sail from Sturgeon Bay, WI northward and we are currently slipped in Fish Creek after stopping here a couple days ago and returning. We love this area so much that we put a refundable deposit on a mooring here in Fish Creek for next season.

We are 2 years new to sailing so moving our port from a 60k acre inland lake to Green Bay has us a bit intimidated even though distances between ports are pretty short. These may be beginner type questions but do you think our SK is a limiting factor here? What equipment do you think we should have on board - we currently only have a depth/speed meter. We would like to add GPS and a possible chart plotter. I know these sound like basic questions but I'd like to here what you recommend and why. We're coming from a lake we know fairly well to an unknown universe. It's exciting and scary at the same time.

Kyle
'86 SR/SK/Dinette #5284 "Anodyne"
In the barn where we found her...

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/27/2016 :  20:25:55  Show Profile
1. A set of paper charts.

2. A GPS/chartplotter--it can be modest in size, but it will be your best friend.

3. Copies of Chapman Piloting and The Annapolis Book of Seamanship. Spend the winter by the fireside with them.

4. Anchors and rodes... Review them relative to potentially needing them in a serious situation in an unfamiliar place. Search for topics on that here, read about it, and talk to fellow L. Michigan sailors.

5. Man-overboard gear. Read about it, learn about recovery techniques, practice it with a cushion or whatever, and make sure your first mate is ready to perform a recovery, or at the very minimum stop the boat, if you're the one in the water.

6. A DSC VHF radio, registered with the USCG (through BoatUS), and a hand-held as backup.

7. A hand-bearing compass for dead reckoning navigation (with your paper charts) if your GPS fails you.

8. A membership with SeaTow or TowboatUS, so they're on call. If you never need them (which is most likely), you'll still feel better.

9. US Sailing's Basic Keelboat course, for you and your first mate, for confidence and safety. It might lead you to their Basic Cruising course...

10.... I'll think of some other stuff, and others will too.

Welcome to the boundless world of the sea--and Lake Michigan truly is "the sea", where the other shore is far over the horizon--it's an exciting and liberating place! In Green Bay, you have a wonderful place to learn, with lots of places to explore, as you've already seen--much like Long Island Sound here. And also like LIS, there's a virtually unlimited "sea" beyond! You may never be lured out to Lake Michigan, but it's there.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/27/2016 20:31:52
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/27/2016 :  20:35:43  Show Profile
Oh, and your SK is not a limit, as long as it's maintained. C-25 SKs have sailed the Great Lakes and our ocean coasts for years.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/27/2016 20:36:19
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2016 :  03:39:05  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
I would agree with everything except:

quote:

9. US Sailing's Basic Keelboat course, for you and your first mate, for confidence and safety. It might lead you to their Basic Cruising course...

As an ASA instructor who has never dealt with US sailing, I would recommend ASA. Specifically the school I teach for

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

JB
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
110 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2016 :  06:05:20  Show Profile
Welcome to Door County this is our first year up there too. We have a slip in Ellison Bay and I think you will enjoy sailing up there.

1988 C25 Wing Keel Std Rig Tohatsu 9.9 Tiller Steering and 2003 C250 Wing Keel Std Rig Inboard Diesel Wheel Steering
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2016 :  06:42:43  Show Profile
Dave's list is great. I sailed for 10 years with a friend before learning about all those things from the Forum.

I would also add a 12V high power spotlight and a hand held air horn.

The spotlight has helped me avoid collisions several times over the years on my boat. And I have used my air horn a few times to notify other boats of dangerous situations that are developing.

I have used my little Garmin GPS-chart plotter in the fog at night to motor safely to my destination on the Chesapeake Bay a few times, and it is absolutely critical to have, in my opinion.

I just love sailing, and just hearing about your change of sailing venue gives me chills of excitement!!!

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2016 :  11:33:55  Show Profile
Speaking of 12V accessories, if you don't have one, you might want to install a 12V outlet (cigarette lighter type) to accommodate various accessories like chargers, spotlights, USB converters, etc.

Regarding ASA vs. US Sailing, I have no comment except I probably thought they were essentially the same. It probably comes down to what's available where and when you can use it.

On the general topic of learning to sail (or improving skills), I've observed that one spouse teaching the other is problematic--that a third-party instructor (professional is best) removes the dynamics that can "get in the way" between spouses. And the professional undoubtedly has things to offer both spouses, almost no matter how capable either of them feels.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/29/2016 11:54:25
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2016 :  13:46:23  Show Profile
After reading this I have started to compile a to-do list. Safety is number one, so anything related to safety will not get scrimped on. Number two is anything that keeps me in the cockpit.

I've never been comfortable with anyone going forward of the cockpit so I'm working to run everything I can to the cockpit. We weren't able to splash this year but did manage to add a roller furling. The admiral and I hated catching the hank-on head sail and didn't like looking forward to doing so. I don't like standing on the seats to connect the topping lift before lowering the main so something different will have to be done there. I also don't like catching the main. Many may think I'm nuts for this but we're having a custom sail pack built to keep from having to stand and reach above our heads to catch the main or having it block our view while docking.

I didn't mention that we have a radio and one 12v port we use for our battery charger. I'm thinking a small solar battery tender will help keep the batteries up while on the ball.

Classes will be a must for us, especially since we feel intimidated moving from an area we are comfortable with.

Thank, everyone, for your input. We take every bit of advice seriously.

Kyle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2016 :  16:00:23  Show Profile
Kyle, I don't understand the attaching the topping lift every time you lower the sail. Topping lifts are always attached. Do you mean the pig tail?

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2016 :  17:59:23  Show Profile
Well, like I said, we are pretty green so I may have the terminology wrong, sorry. It's the pigtail that clips to the end of the boom to keep it from falling in the cockpit when the main is lowered.

Kyle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2016 :  18:02:23  Show Profile
OK, Topping lift will solve the problem.

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2016 :  20:00:28  Show Profile
Adding a roller furler to my boat several years ago was absolutely the best addition I've made. You'll love it!

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2016 :  20:48:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kper

...It's the pigtail that clips to the end of the boom to keep it from falling in the cockpit when the main is lowered.
There are several threads on topping lifts you can search for here. The pigtail is disliked by many of us--not just because of standing on seats (which I don't recall being necessary), but because if you forget to release it before raising the main, and a the wind catches the sail before you do, things can get dicey and suddenly unhooking it can become much more difficult. The topping lift is there all the time, ready to hold the boom as you lower the main, and if adjustable, it can lift the boom higher while you're at anchor or at the dock. All it takes is a 1/4 or 3/16" length of double-braid with a spliced eye for the backstay clevis pin at the mast-head, a small block for the boom end, and a small cleat on the side of the boom, although there are other configurations.

As I recall, Catalina Direct's replacement backstays don't come with pigtails--they recommend against them for the same reason.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/29/2016 20:51:51
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2016 :  07:18:39  Show Profile
Looks like a topping lift will be on the next order... along with a new 4 stroke and a Bimini.

Kyle
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2016 :  11:51:31  Show Profile
Islander, I know some Capri 26 guys who have a clip on their topping lift so it can be removed easily after raising the sail. They secure it to the topping lift cleat on the mast. I too prefer to leave it attached at all times.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2016 :  14:36:03  Show Profile
It seems odd to remove the topping lift unless they don't have it adjusted correctly. The topping lift should go slack when the sail is fully raised. The sail is supporting the boom. When you drop the sail the boom will drop some and the topping lift gets tight supporting the boom. I guess theirs never goes slack when the sail is up so they remove it? It needs to go slack otherwise the leach of the sail won't be tight. Ok in light wind but not good in heavy wind.

Go to Top of Page

JB
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
110 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2016 :  08:09:21  Show Profile
My topping lift is adjustable, I shorten it to lift the boom a little so that when I raise the main sail I don't also have to lift the boom at the same time. I loosen it when the sail is raised.

1988 C25 Wing Keel Std Rig Tohatsu 9.9 Tiller Steering and 2003 C250 Wing Keel Std Rig Inboard Diesel Wheel Steering
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page