Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 torque value C25 fin keel?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rbpc25
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/16/2016 :  18:14:03  Show Profile
hi all

looking for the correct torque value for the C25 fin keel

I am seeing a slight amount of water coming in around the front bolt head and the next one aft, portside

pretty sure I have encapsulated lead and SS bolts

want to try retorquing before I grind and re-encapsulate or, god forbid, drop the keel

have not been able to find values via cursory Googling

thanks!

Rolf in MA

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2016 :  07:39:55  Show Profile
I found this, but it pertains to the Catalina 22.
I imagine the torque value of about 15 ft lbs is the same. It would pertain to the nut and bolt, not the keel.
A larger keel wouldn't properly secure with higher torque, it would secure with more bolts.

http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/keel-bolt-torque.93187/

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2016 :  08:46:35  Show Profile
Agreed--there's probably an important limit on the torque applied with a fiberglass shell over a wood core. It's not like an engine block.

I suspect I would attend to whatever external leak(s) I could find in the encapsulation, maybe with 5200 for some resiliency as well as adhesion, before snugging the bolts. IF you're in a yard with a professional fiberglass guy, you might want to ask for an inspection and recommendations. From here, I can't see it well enough and probably don't know enough...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2016 :  19:40:43  Show Profile
I only found numbers for the C34, but they were: 35lbs initial torque for 5200 to 'set'; then re-torque to 105lbs - there was a similar procedure on my Beneteau 235 - I don't see the sense of retorquing - the bond between bolt and washer and bore will be broken by re-tightening - they should pick an initial value and stick with it - but none of this helps my poor little C25

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2016 :  13:43:53  Show Profile
Re-torquing the nut won't turn the stud (bolt) or break the seal around it and between the keel and the stub. They just want to compress the 5200 like a gasket. But I suspect the C-34 has a different structure and material in the keel stub.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2016 :  19:56:18  Show Profile
Dave, you are right, of course - on my Beneteau, they are bolts, not studs (keel is drilled and tapped) - so when you re-torque on the Benny, it breaks all those nice watertight bonds and turns the 5200 into strings - on the C25, with studs and nuts, of course re-torque-ing would just squish the adhesive tighter - they both specify similar protocols, but only the stud-nut approach makes sense - score one for Catalina

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page