Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 main sheet length limit
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rbpc25
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/13/2016 :  11:11:25  Show Profile
hi all

main sheet from PO seems to be excessively long - unnecessary line in the cockpit

wondering if there is any reason to have more line than the full downwind travel of the boom will require - boom travel seems to be limited by boom interacting with mast anyway (before it hits the stays) - assuming that both should be prevnted by a knot in the sheet, limiting boom travel just short of stays and mast

any reason not to trim the sheet after that knot?

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959

Edited by - rbpc25 on 07/13/2016 11:11:59

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2016 :  11:18:58  Show Profile
I think it's a very good idea. I'd suggest you let the boom out until it touches the spreaders, leave another 2-3 feet, and then cut it off.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2016 :  12:04:40  Show Profile
done, and done

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2016 :  13:42:52  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Thanks Steve,

I will be doing the same.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2016 :  13:45:10  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Me Again,

Forgot to mention, CD says 75 feet. Seems an awful lot.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2016 :  16:21:13  Show Profile
Add a foot or two of tail to the boom and attach the main sheet to that to save a few more coils. There is no value in having that 4-5 purchase between the boom and traveller when fully sheeted in. You must also allow for the extra length required if you use the mainsheet to raise the mast

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2016 :  03:28:01  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
I cut mine off. the only reason for a long mainsheet is when using it to raise the mast.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2016 :  06:38:20  Show Profile
When I had Passage (a SR), I thought about trying 3:1 purchase on the mainsheet. It seemed 4:1 resulted in an excessive amount of hauling, for example, to jibe the main, excessive rope in the cockpit, and "excessively low" effort to trim. I figured I'd try it, and if I liked it in stronger winds, I'd then cut down the length accordingly. But I "never got a round tuit." (I've also been thinking about attending a procrastinators' support group, but..... )

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/14/2016 06:39:59
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2016 :  18:25:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave5041

Add a foot or two of tail to the boom and attach the main sheet to that to save a few more coils. There is no value in having that 4-5 purchase between the boom and traveller when fully sheeted in. You must also allow for the extra length required if you use the mainsheet to raise the mast

Dave, is there any advantage to using the mainsheet to raise the mast instead of the foresail halyard? If so, please elaborate. If so, what length of mainsheet is required?

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2016 :  19:56:13  Show Profile
What Dave5041 said above, I did that and liked it very much. Detach your block from the end of the boom and tie a 3 ft tail to the boom. Reattach the boom block to the tail. Adjust the length of the tail so that your boom block and the traveler block are almost touching when you sheet in all the way. For a 3:1 mainsheet ratio, that will eliminate almost 10 feet of line. Your actual mainsheet length will depend on whether you have a 3:1 or 4:1 purchase ratio. I believe that the 75 ft length is recommended for the 4:1 ratio.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 09/05/2016 19:57:18
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2016 :  11:34:24  Show Profile
I wouldn't recommend as long of a pendant as dmpilc is recommending. When you are on a beam reach or deeper you are going to have a fairly heavy fiddle block at the right height to smack you hard in the head during a jybe.

Pendants are common on main sheets on racing boats to reduce weight and extra line, but they are typically less than a foot. My Express 37 has one that is about 8" long. It's a minor savings there, but not zero (especially since my mainsheet has 6 parts).

Depending on what line you use for your mainsheet you may require something stronger for the pendant since you have one part of it instead of three. It would be better to use a low stretch dyneema loop if possible.

Alex W
Seattle, WA
Express 37 "re-Quest"
previously owned 1984 Catalina 25 "Lutra"
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2016 :  15:36:59  Show Profile
We also became weary of all the excess mainsheet in the cockpit and used the method Steve Milby describes above.

We later moved the traveler forward just in front of the companionway and simultaneously purchased a new mainsheet line and hardware.

We then used the old (shortened) mainsheet system to raise and lower the mast with a gin pole. The shortened sheet was still plenty long enough for mast raising.

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - OJ on 09/06/2016 15:39:39
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2016 :  16:18:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OJ

We also became weary of all the excess mainsheet in the cockpit and used the method Steve Milby describes above.

We later moved the traveler forward just in front of the companionway and simultaneously purchased a new mainsheet line and hardware.

We then used the old (shortened) mainsheet system to raise and lower the mast with a gin pole. The shortened sheet was still plenty long enough for mast raising.

How do I raise the mast with the mainsheet instead of a halyard?

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2016 :  17:52:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sethp001

quote:
Originally posted by OJ

Abbreviated explanation: Remove mainsheet system from boom, traveler. Cleat off one end of halyard, attach other halyard end to one end of mainsheet system, attach other end mainsheet system to foredeck.

Some people have even used the trailer winch strap.

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2016 :  03:58:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OJ

quote:
Originally posted by sethp001

quote:
Originally posted by OJ

Abbreviated explanation: Remove mainsheet system from boom, traveler. Cleat off one end of halyard, attach other halyard end to one end of mainsheet system, attach other end mainsheet system to foredeck.

Some people have even used the trailer winch strap.

Or, use the boom as the gin pole laying the mast down forward. (I think I also used the boom vang in tandem with the main sheet to give me enough length to lower the mast). Chuck Shaw showed me this and it work pretty well. Was almost effortless raising the mast this way.

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2016 :  04:11:41  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by TCurran

Or, use the boom as the gin pole laying the mast down forward. (I think I also used the boom vang in tandem with the main sheet to give me enough length to lower the mast). Chuck Shaw showed me this and it work pretty well. Was almost effortless raising the mast this way.

This is how i do it. boom is the gin pole. ot's braced to stay in the center. i use the mainsheet and even lead it to a winch for more power. the whole system is detailed in the tech tips under huntington rig. http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/tech/tech25/nymastup.asp works great except you have to be careful when moving the mast forward to the step that you do not break off the steaming light on the bow pulpit. when i lower next time, I'll have to use a longer block and tackle as i have shortenend the mainsheet too far to use it for this purpose.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2016 :  17:30:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dasreboot

"...except you have to be careful when moving the mast forward to the step that you do not break off the steaming light on the bow pulpit."

Sounds like a lesson learned by experience

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2016 :  05:07:03  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by TCurran

quote:
Originally posted by dasreboot

"...except you have to be careful when moving the mast forward to the step that you do not break off the steaming light on the bow pulpit."

Sounds like a lesson learned by experience

not an accident but an "oppurtunity" to buy an LED light!

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page