Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 hairpin cotters instead of ring or straight?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rbpc25
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/08/2016 :  09:13:48  Show Profile
hi all

does anyone use hairpin-style cotters instead of standard cotter pins or rings on various parts like turnbuckles, lifelines, celvis pins, etc?

rings seem safest, and least prone to snag, but I like the ease of removability of the hairpins (also a disadvantage, of course)

are there any other cotter styles out there?

lastly, anyone know a good source for split-ring Ronstan-type cotter rings (decreasing diameter)? I have been searching everywhere, but not found a good source - most seem to be parallel-diameter style - I find the Ronstan-type much easier to install

thanks!

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959

Edited by - rbpc25 on 07/08/2016 09:24:36

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2016 :  09:17:56  Show Profile
and what about 'rue' rings?

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2016 :  09:26:03  Show Profile
check out the 'bowtie'!

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2016 :  11:01:22  Show Profile
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--cotter-ring-kit--251754

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2016 :  11:19:46  Show Profile
The hairpin is easiest to remove and snag, and therefore the least secure. I used them for things like my day sailer rudder pintle. I'd never use it for standing rigging. On open-body turnbuckles, I used straight bronze pins and wrapped the tails around the body. I used rings on most clevis pins. It's security vs. ease of removal. I haven't tried the rues.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/08/2016 11:29:37
Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2016 :  11:26:53  Show Profile
understood, thanks guys

I have also done SS wire, through T-bolt hols, and wrapped around body - thoughts?

meanwhile, I will stick to the split-ring Ronstan-style, unless the bowtie turns out to be equally secure (I like that it has a longer lever-arm to prevent turning of the turnbuckle)

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2016 :  22:10:09  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Rolf, here are a couple of sources for the easily-removable cotter rings:

http://www.downwindmarine.com/Cotter-Pins-amp-Rings-p-1-c-6248.html

and:

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--stainless-steel-cotter-rings--P002_060_010_004

The hairpins are OK for things that need to be frequently or easily removable, but they would be hazardous in most applications on a sailboat. Any kind of easily-removable pin - including cotter-rings - need to be used with caution and checked regularly. I use cotter-rings to attach my shrouds, because I drop my mast from time to time, but I've had them snag on the jib sheets and have had to replace one now and then. I use them at a lot of other places where they aren't subject to snagging, but I check them all from time to time because I had one nearly wear through (they are thin wire, after all). Just be cautious with them.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)

Edited by - Lee Panza on 07/08/2016 22:26:39
Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2016 :  11:50:36  Show Profile
I have sometmes used SS wire for my turnbuckles, b/c 1) I can choose the guage/thickness; 2) I can cut to size; 3) I can tuck the tails into the turnbuckle, so nothing's snaggable; 4) it's cheap

any reason not to keep doing that? what is standard turnbuckle practice? cotter pin? and is that b/c it's thicker guage than a cotter ring, or wire?

wouldn't a bow tie be even thicker than straight pin, and less snaggable?

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959

Edited by - rbpc25 on 07/09/2016 11:51:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page