Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Cruising Forum
 San Juans
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dalelargent
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/04/2016 :  00:02:03  Show Profile
Ok, so I just have to share that I returned today from 6 great days on the water in the San Juan Island, WA. It was my third trip and was as wonderful as the first. (The second shall never be mentioned again due to two weeks of horrible weather.)

You might remember I made a movie of the first trip and posted a YouTube link here. The second year would have just been footage of rain and white caps and a drunk sailor hanging out in an Anacortes marina waiting for gale winds to subside, so I didn't bother.

I took my C25 again this year and she did great, from trailering to launching to sailing. 5 1/2 days of great winds. I used about every sail combination I had available, including reefing. I even sailed onto a bouy one evening in front on an audience on shore. Nailed it! :)

My buddy and I went. Saw a few Orcas (and a lot of whale watching boats), porpoises, seals, jellies, bald eagles, etc... Even had to rely on gps in the fog once (but didn't like that much).

Great times, and I felt a need to share it with people who would understand. :). I expect myself to make another movie...the last took me 6 months. Lol!

Dale

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2016 :  07:29:31  Show Profile
We're waiting!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2016 :  16:21:38  Show Profile
Tap, tap, tap.............

Editing the raw footage is.....

And the other thing I find, is while out cruising, the camera is never on when the exciting stuff is happening.........

You know,........ like sailing into a bouy.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2016 :  13:00:01  Show Profile
So correct, Davy J! No camera on for bouy landing, and no camera on when I had to dramatically alter course to avoid a head-on collision with a....wait for it...sea plane suddenly landing right in front of Friday Harbor. It would have been the sweetest video....he splashed down 30 yards to my beam! So cool (once I realized we were clear)!

And the video and pics of phosphorescence in the water didn't come out either. One night, I was coiling a line and dropped half in the water. Upon re-starting, glowing droplets sprayed through the air, my gloves sparkled, and the line virtually glowed. Stunning experience. I almost did it again on purpose. Wish I had.

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2016 :  14:14:47  Show Profile
Great report. Film at ??
We hope to arrive at Anacortes 17th August for the 3 to 4 week cruise with weather a factor to stay longer. I have been able to make the trip almost everyother year and can't wait to get there again. We are now the only boat from our area to make the trip so hoping to connect with any others that put it together. The Forum has make it possible to meet up with others including locals that has been great fun.
The trip usually goes into the Gulf Islands with stops in the towns of the islands. We will have to see if videos record the events so we can share too.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page