Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Catalina 25 standard rig rigging list?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rbpc25
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/26/2016 :  11:16:32  Show Profile
hi all
does anyone have a link to the C25 (std rig) running rigging list?
desparately need new ropes, all the way around
thanks!
Rolf in MA

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959

RickR
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2016 :  11:54:16  Show Profile
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/category/185/halyard-kits.cfm

RickR
Jamestown, NY
81 C25/SK/SR/Trad #2668
"Vind Dansor"
Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2016 :  13:14:43  Show Profile
thanks, I should be able to cobble it together from that - was wondering if there was a list of all lines from a manual anyone might have? thanks!

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2016 :  14:05:24  Show Profile
Do you have all line or line/wire? Led to the cockpit or secured at the mast? Tall or standard rig? Changing out is a good time to think seriously about going with all line if you currently have wire/line. 65' is adequate for a main secured at the mast and 70' for the jib. Add 10 feet if routed to the cockpit, and you'll need new masthead sheaves if you're converting to all line. A few extra feet is a good idea and better than coming up short.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2016 :  15:31:21  Show Profile
I think converting to all line is a great idea - I had a wire jam last fall, and the halyard was useless until we took down the mast - but can't swap sheaves until I lower the mast again, correct? meantime, what is the diameter of line supposed to be for these halyards? CD mentions 5/16", but it's Dyneema core - if I'm just getting a bulk bunch of line, how about 3/8" double-braid polyester, and I'll worry about converting halyards in the fall? she is a new boat to me, and lines are way past too old - thanks!

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2016 :  16:40:39  Show Profile
I think this is what your looking for. This is from the manual and will give you line dimensions but I wouldn't go by the lengths because your boat may be set up differently than this standard Catalina 25.http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/pictures/4-1-3.gif Low strech Double braid for your halyards but I would strongly suggest single braid for your Jib/Genoa sheets like Regatta Single Braid. Nice fuzzy outside to grip winches and easy on the hands, Very supple and won't kink or hock.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 06/26/2016 16:59:21
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2016 :  17:34:29  Show Profile
Scott - that's a great diagram, I've never seen that one before.
I like the New England Ropes double braid for the halyards - it really holds up great.
And I love the idea of soft lines for the sheets. Since I rarely use the winch to haul the Genoa sheets, my hands suffer on those days when I'm tacking and beating up into the wind.
I rarely mess with the main sheet unless overpowered so I don't need any special line there, but for jib, that stuff sounds fantastic!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2016 :  17:51:23  Show Profile
Bruce, I'm surprised Passage doesn't have Regatta, I know Dave usually recommends it too for the sheets but there was an owner between you two. I have the Cat25 original owners manual that has all the diagram #'s so I can find the specific one in the manuals and brochures area easily. Try the Regatta, If you don't love it I'll buy it from you as long as it's 3/8" You Can't beat that deal!

Edited by - islander on 06/26/2016 18:08:34
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2016 :  18:20:09  Show Profile
One other option is to contact Cajun Rigging -- a Canadian company the sells on-line full rigging packages for C-25's (and other boats) I have used them and can attest to the quality of their product.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2016 :  19:43:28  Show Profile
Indeed, I loved Regatta for jib/genoa sheets (on other boats), but didn't get around to switching before I sold Passage. But Bruce did get the 5/16" all-rope, Dyneema core halyards (5/16") and mast-head sheaves I replaced. My plan then was to reduce the purchase by one on the mainsheet and replace it with something smaller than 1/2", and replace the jib sheets with 3/8" Regatta. Then life took a turn... and I went over to the Dark Side.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/26/2016 19:46:38
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2016 :  22:33:29  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
I have two lengths of brand new (still in the wrapping) 7/16" Trophy Braid, and if someone's interested they can pick up a deal.

I prefer Trophy Braid over Regatta (I've used both) for a couple of reasons: one is that Regatta is so supple it seems to tangle a bit more easily; second reason is that single braid flattens between the jaw discs of self-tailers, so they don't hold as well at the low end of the range of rope sizes they are intended for (same thing with clutches). But the biggest reason is that Regatta is much more of an operation to splice (can't do simple core-to-core eyes, because there's no core). I don't like bowlines at the jib clew: they hang on the fwd. lower shrouds.

Anyway, I ordered new Antal self-tailing winches, and I bought new 7/16" sheet to go with them, but Antal had changed the design and the newer model in the size I wanted only accepts up to 3/8". So I had to order another set of sheets.

So I've got two 40' lengths: in red and green (helps keep track of which is which when there's a mess of excess on the cockpit sole). I paid $104.25 at Defender ($46. x 2 plus $12.25 shipping) this past February.

Have been meaning to put this on the Swap Meet forum but hadn't gotten around to it. So, if you're interested, Rolf, or anyone else, I'll let you have them for about half that (plus re-shipping).

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2016 :  16:00:15  Show Profile
thanks Lee, sounds fair, just getting back home after a trip - let me look over the list, and see what's what

Scott, excellent diagram, that's just what I was looking for

all: if I change to all-line for the halyards, what is the max. diameter rope that will comfortably run through the masthead? looks like CD offers 5/16 Dyneema - is that the max. diam.? I was considering ordering bulk 3/8" double-braid for most lines, including halyards - would 3/8 run easily through the masthead? I remember those slots being pretty narrow...

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2016 :  17:28:18  Show Profile
Changing from wire to rope requires you to change the masthead sheaves. I don't think the rope will run through without changing them. Maybe someone else knows more because I never had to do it.

Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2016 :  19:16:53  Show Profile
yes, I understand the sheaves will have to be swapped - but it looks like CD only offers a 5/16" sheave in their all-line kit - I am wondering if that is the actual width of the slot in the masthead, and therefore the largest diameter rope that will slide easily - so you are constrained to a narrow rope, which means Dyneema, for strength - we can't use a 3/8 or 7/16 normal double-braid polyester, for example, b/c the slot in the masthead is not wide enough - is that correct? thanks!

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page

tpothen
Deckhand

Members Avatar

17 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2016 :  05:13:07  Show Profile  Visit tpothen's Homepage
I just switched to all rope halyards using the 5/16" sheaves from CD. 5/16" line seamed a little tight in the sheaves so I doubt you would be able to use anything larger.

Also there really isn't any space for wider sheaves.

"Myasis Dragon" 77' C25/SR/SK/Din.
www.svmyasisdragon.com

Edited by - tpothen on 06/29/2016 05:19:34
Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2016 :  09:09:48  Show Profile
that's what I thought I remembered - thanks!

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2016 :  17:17:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rbpc25

thanks Lee, sounds fair, just getting back home after a trip - let me look over the list, and see what's what

Scott, excellent diagram, that's just what I was looking for

all: if I change to all-line for the halyards, what is the max. diameter rope that will comfortably run through the masthead? looks like CD offers 5/16 Dyneema - is that the max. diam.? I was considering ordering bulk 3/8" double-braid for most lines, including halyards - would 3/8 run easily through the masthead? I remember those slots being pretty narrow...

Lee,

If he doesn't take them I will.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page