Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 LED Nav Lights
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/18/2016 :  15:11:05  Show Profile
I've checked Aqua Signals website for LED nav light fixtures more than once and I've never been able to locate any that will fit our boats.

Does anyone have a source for LED nav light fixtures. I already have a LED bulb in my Aqua Signal 25 fixture on the bow but have a problem keeping it working. Just want something that's made for LED.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 06/18/2016 15:11:27

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2016 :  22:16:23  Show Profile
What's the problem? Bad connections or incorrect color temperature?
I've tried several LED lamps in my bow nav light fixture. The Dr LED Polar Star LED light works like a charm. See Link
I've also used a 41mm festoon LED bulb with dimpled slip-on connector adapters. These adapters convert the pointy festoon contacts into dimpled connections matching the fixture's contacts. An early version I tried generated tons of RF interference on my FM radio and weather radio. The replacement bulb fixed that.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2016 :  04:00:56  Show Profile
If the problem is that the Led bulb is heavier and keeps loosing contact I remember a member on the forum put a small Zip tie around the tabs in the fixture that created more pressure on the bulb contacts and was successful in keeping the bulb in good contact.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2016 :  06:37:24  Show Profile
You're right Scott the Polar Star is pretty hefty so it can get dislodged by pounding wave action. Tape or ties can help. But the 2nm six-LED festoon bulb works fine and weighs not much more than the original incandescent bulb.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2016 :  08:19:27  Show Profile
I've got the Dr Led bulb now (it does work well and is bright) and while I could try the above recommendations I still need to replace the fixtures anyway and I was hoping to find new fixtures that were specifically made for LED bulbs.

Part of the concern is if by chance I were involved in an accident at night could I be held accountable if I were using a Coast Guard approved LED bulb in a fixture that is not Coast Guard approved for use with a LED bulb, only an incandescent bulb?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2016 :  08:33:37  Show Profile
I use lights from here (anchor, steaming/deck combo, bi color nav)...https://store.marinebeam.com/uscg-certified-led-nav-lights/

I like the quality and the fact that they are a sealed unit, hard for the elements to get to the internal connections. The only connections are the red and black wires, which are external to the units.

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2016 :  08:41:29  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
The Lopolight is a red/green combo LED nav light fixture that is USCG approved and has been out for several years or more. Do a search in Yahoo do see those that sell it. ...but it is pricey.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2016 :  20:10:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TCurran

I use lights from here (anchor, steaming/deck combo, bi color nav)...https://store.marinebeam.com/uscg-certified-led-nav-lights/

I like the quality and the fact that they are a sealed unit, hard for the elements to get to the internal connections. The only connections are the red and black wires, which are external to the units.

Thanks Tom. They do look nice. Can you advise which model numbers you use?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 06/19/2016 20:11:21
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2016 :  20:13:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

The Lopolight is a red/green combo LED nav light fixture that is USCG approved and has been out for several years or more. Do a search in Yahoo do see those that sell it. ...but it is pricey.

At $380 a piece or more I think I'll pass.

Who makes your anchor light, Orca or something like that?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2016 :  04:26:12  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
My LED photo-diode anchor light is made by OGM (Orca Green Marine). It is USCG approved. I have had it quite awhile now - Just checked my mtn log on my website - It was installed JUN'06.

The Lopolight...well I did say it was pricey. I had considered it years ago...and kept on considering it. Now at $380 - Wow ! That seems a lot more than in the past.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2016 :  04:49:34  Show Profile
[/quote]
[/quote]

Bi-Color nav - https://store.marinebeam.com/led-bi-color-navigation-light/
Anchor - https://store.marinebeam.com/led-all-around-anchor-light/
Steam/Deck Combo - https://store.marinebeam.com/led-masthead-foredeck-combination-light/

The folks I sail with say there is no problem seeing me at night, the red/green lights stand out, which, to me, is the most important part...be seen!

The deck light is nice, because it's LED i don't mind leaving it on when I anchor in a busy area.

I'm waiting for my stern light to start giving me a problem before I replace the unit, it's currently a Aqua-Signal with an LED bulb.

Tom Curran
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2016 :  19:03:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

My LED photo-diode anchor light is made by OGM (Orca Green Marine). It is USCG approved. I have had it quite awhile now - Just checked my mtn log on my website - It was installed JUN'06.

The Lopolight...well I did say it was pricey. I had considered it years ago...and kept on considering it. Now at $380 - Wow ! That seems a lot more than in the past.

I may have looked at different lights than what you looked at.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2016 :  19:04:29  Show Profile
quote:

[/quote]

Bi-Color nav - https://store.marinebeam.com/led-bi-color-navigation-light/
Anchor - https://store.marinebeam.com/led-all-around-anchor-light/
Steam/Deck Combo - https://store.marinebeam.com/led-masthead-foredeck-combination-light/

The folks I sail with say there is no problem seeing me at night, the red/green lights stand out, which, to me, is the most important part...be seen!

The deck light is nice, because it's LED i don't mind leaving it on when I anchor in a busy area.

I'm waiting for my stern light to start giving me a problem before I replace the unit, it's currently a Aqua-Signal with an LED bulb.
[/quote]

Thank you Tom! Just placed an order for the Bi-Color and Stern lights.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 06/20/2016 19:13:27
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 06/23/2016 :  10:10:15  Show Profile
Has anyone found a LED replacement for the incandescent cabin lights?

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/23/2016 :  19:21:48  Show Profile
Lights arrived today. Wow, they are sooo bright!

A little expensive compared to the Aqua Signal 25's but man the construction and quality are so much higher I feel they are well worth the extra money.

Now the next question. The outer insulation is thick and I'm wondering how in the heck am I going to be able to feed it through the bow pulpit and stern rail?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 06/23/2016 19:22:23
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/23/2016 :  22:27:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jerlim

Has anyone found a LED replacement for the incandescent cabin lights?

Jerry, the original incandescent light bulbs in the cabin are similar to automotive bulbs 1156, which is a taillight bulb. The bulb has a "bayonet" base with two equally spaced pins to hold the bulb in the fixture. These bulbs are not as bright as 1157 bulb, which is a combo taillight and brake light bulb. This has two base contacts (one for the taillight and one for the brake light), and offset bayonet pins to align the base contacts, which don't match the light fixture.
I was able to file off one of the bayonet pins and solder the two contacts together to allow me to use the 1157 bulb in the fixtures. Another difficulty is that for some reason, the Catalina wiring diagram connects positive to the socket and negative to the base. This is the reverse of an automotive socket which has positive on the base and negative on the socket. This requires you to rewire the fixtures before the LED will work.
All that said, many people have purchased LED fixtures and replaced the old fixtures with the new ones.
On Passage, I replaced the two main fixtures (over the starboard settee and over the port dinette table), with LED fixtures. These work very well. I left the rest of the fixtures along and replaced the incandescent bulbs with 1157 LEDs. I used warm white LEDs that work fine.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/23/2016 :  22:33:10  Show Profile
Gary, Are the cables permanently attached to the fixtures or can you replace them with thinner cables?
I would not advise splicing cables at the fixtures.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 06/23/2016 22:34:41
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 06/24/2016 :  04:10:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

Lights arrived today. Wow, they are sooo bright!

A little expensive compared to the Aqua Signal 25's but man the construction and quality are so much higher I feel they are well worth the extra money.

Now the next question. The outer insulation is thick and I'm wondering how in the heck am I going to be able to feed it through the bow pulpit and stern rail?

Yup...they are bright. Was out the other night with a couple other boats, I thought one of the lead boats was using a spot or flashlight to light up a manatee marker, nope, it was my red/green bow light illuminating it from ~1/4 mile.

I had enough of the old wire to make the splice on the outside (shrink wrap connectors and self- fusion silicone tape). I did this for the same reason you're describing, it was the easy way out but not as neat. Figured I could spend hours on the boat fishing wires or cut, splice, and go sailing.

Tom Curran
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/24/2016 :  17:10:00  Show Profile
Bruce - The wires are permanently attached inside the fixture so no way to replace with thinner wires.

Tom - Glad to hear they are bright out on the water. That's exactly what I was hoping.

I'll try to fish the wires down into the cabin but if they harass me at all... I've got a brand new set of wire cutters and strippers and will make quick work of getting them up and running.

Edit: HA! No pun intended

Were you able to use the supplied screws to mount yours to the bracket or did you have to improvise?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2016 :  04:30:44  Show Profile
quote:
Were you able to use the supplied screws to mount yours to the bracket or did you have to improvise?

Pretty sure I used the screws, but had to drill new holes (full disclosure - I installed the LEDs on my Watkins, not a C25 or my Capri). I'll double check when I'm on the boat later today.

Tom Curran
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2016 :  13:40:38  Show Profile
I kinda figured you were referring to the Watkins.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2016 :  09:47:40  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

Pretty sure I used the screws, but had to drill new holes (full disclosure - I installed the LEDs on my Watkins, not a C25 or my Capri). I'll double check when I'm on the boat later today.

Gary...sorry I forgot to post my findings. Yes, I was able to use the supplied mounting screens, but had to drill new holes in my mounting bracket, they were 90 degrees off. Hope your install is going well.

Tom Curran
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2016 :  17:38:46  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

quote:

Gary...sorry I forgot to post my findings. Yes, I was able to use the supplied mounting screens, but had to drill new holes in my mounting bracket, they were 90 degrees off. Hope your install is going well.

Thank you Tom! I'm hoping to get a chance to work on the lights and clean up the boat this weekend.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page