Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Crib board holders
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/16/2016 :  09:26:03  Show Profile
So I'm doing some interior work on Passage and I'd like a place for everything. I realize this is the impossible dream, but I'm trying.

The other day the Admiral asked me where she should place the crib boards for the companionway whist sailing and I couldn't say definitely where to put them. Said I usually lay them down on the quarterberth lip next to the starboard settee near the companionway ladder or stow them in the head area or vee berth.

I think Henk or someone created a crib board holder that's a wooden rack with a bottom bracket and a bungee that holds the crib boards upright underneath the lip of the starboard settee, or some kind of "magazine rack" gizmo attached to the interior bulkhead.

What kind of gizmo or clever spot do y'all use to keep them from crashing around the cabin during a squall or a near-field wake from a 50' stinkpot getting up on plane?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

sfsmith
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
120 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2016 :  14:58:16  Show Profile
I use a divided fabric pocket that hangs inside the dumpster, on the inboard side. The hatch boards slip into the pockets vertically. The dividers keep them from scraping against each other. It's quick, easy and it keeps the boards out of the way for sailing, but quickly accessible for locking up.

Solomon Smith
TANGO 89/WK/TR/#5942
Petoskey, Michigan
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2016 :  20:08:30  Show Profile
My PO did just that under the starboard settee with three screw eyes, two on one side and one on the other, and two bungee cords between the eyelets to make most of a triangle that holds the boards in place. As far as I can tell, this is the only thing my PO did right.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - sethp001 on 06/16/2016 20:09:53
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2016 :  03:49:38  Show Profile
I had one made from fabric left over from the cushions. It is mounted in the quarter berth. There is a pocket for each board

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.

Edited by - hewebb on 06/17/2016 03:50:18
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2016 :  06:11:15  Show Profile
Boy, I like Solomon's idea! Puts them above rather than below. On the other hand, in a sudden rain squall...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/17/2016 06:12:37
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2016 :  08:21:07  Show Profile
Two concepts I didn't think of at all:
1. The Dumpster! Perfect spot. There's a shelf inside that would be a perfect spot to bungee them in.
2. Separate pockets - one for each board. I have an old flat sail bag and some soft foam sheets.
I also have a Sunbrella cover for the companionway to keep the spritz rains out of the cabin while underway. I usually keep that nearby in threatening weather.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2016 :  08:43:38  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I bought a hatch board bag from Catalina Direct and then lower it into the dumpster.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2016 :  13:13:51  Show Profile
Nice ideas here, The mate usually puts them the V berth but I tell her to just throw them on the floor cuz everything in a sailboat ends up there eventually.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2016 :  06:51:30  Show Profile
Hahahaha, you're right! I've got a large duffel bag now with foam board separators. I have been stowing them just behind and beside the starboard settee near the quarterberth. That's where I stow the cooler and it seldom moves very far. The colder holds the boards in place but I may add some hooks on the inside of the hull and some bungees there.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2016 :  10:32:21  Show Profile
We fastened two rows of eye straps on the lower portion of the port settee, then ran two lengths shock cord between the eye straps. The crib boards sit on the salon floor, the shock cords hold them in place. Very quick to store and retrieve.

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame
Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 06/21/2016 :  06:07:38  Show Profile
I like the idea of a cushioned bag to hold the crib boards. I've seen them on e-bay but they seem pretty poorly built.
I'll probably make one myself.
hewebb........ do you have any design drawings for yours ?

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page