Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 The cheapest wing keel in the US
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kjk
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
91 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/24/2016 :  13:30:04  Show Profile
A week ago, we splashed “Seraphinn” (memo to self: change boat name) which I purchased last November. It was, at the time, advertised by the boat broker as the most inexpensive WK 250 in the US, and for good reason. The boat had been out of the water for three years, with all sails still attached. The surveyor who went down to the boat yard in Plymouth for me reported that all of the rigging, both running and standing were shot, as were the sails, engine, and there was a bunch of yellowjackets in the fuel locker. The previous winter had record snows,and as the boat had not been covered, water had gotten into the cabin and there were several inches of water on the cabin floor. One of the aft berth panels was ruined as well as the vinyl flooring. Still, he reported that the boat itself was in good shape as well as the spars. Negotiations ensued and the yard, which was owed more money than the boat was worth, and the owner agreed to their respective haircuts and the boat was hauled up to Rockport onto Granite Pier. The project of its rehabilitation ensued. Toward that end, this forum has been absolutely invaluable and I reviewed all 138 of the pages, although not every topic. A special shout out to Rick Swarthmore as I stole his design for a mast raising system, showing my skeptical wife all of his mathematical figures even though I had absolutely no idea what they meant, having slept through that part of class in high school. His face book video convinced her (although she would have preferred the original Dave Brubeck recording as accompaniment rather than the Al Jarreau cover that he added, but I digress…) I had to raise the mast, tune the rigging, measure it, take it down before I could ship it off to CD as they kept talking about Captain Jack Sparrow or something like that. They must have gotten burned by a return.So being able to raise, lower and raise the mast again by myself was a big help rather then getting a bunch of friends, all of whom have bad backs, bad knees, bad hair, etc. From drilling out the mast foot, to the furler installation, to wiring, and rig tuning, the list goes on and on, and we’re not done yet. So thanks to all, those here and those gone, for all of the advice.

Kevin J. Kiely
Rockport, MA
1999WK
Hull # 407

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2016 :  14:59:13  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
This thread is in serious need of before and after pictures!

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page

kjk
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
91 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2016 :  17:37:23  Show Profile
On it! I just have to review the protocols for picture attachment. Oh, and thanks for the help with the fuel filter question.

Kevin J. Kiely
Rockport, MA
1999WK
Hull # 407
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2016 :  07:37:09  Show Profile
Congrats on the boat. You are very courageous taking on such an ambitious restoration project.

Don't go dissing my favorite jazz singer!

Regarding my gin pole design, it continues to be a work in progress, with little glitches cropping up periodically that require some redesign. If you continue to use it, you do so at your own risk!

Last weekend I raised my own mast, and heard some cracking in the lumber as the mast went up. Upon inspection afterwards, the 2x4 had started cracking down the centerline around the eyebolt penetrations. (Details here) It was not catastrophic, but I will not use that design again without modifications to prevent this issue from happening.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 05/25/2016 08:28:46
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page