Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Fixing Hairline Cracks During Rainy Season or Dry
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Member Avatar

814 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/24/2016 :  09:29:35  Show Profile
I'm itching to use the new tubes of MagicEzy Hairline Fix I picked up, but it's rained a lot lately. Should I wait for a dry spell to let the wood core in the deck dry out before sealing the cracks? I'm concerned about residual moisture encouraging rot. Or should I go ahead and seal them now and not worry about it?

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2016 :  10:07:41  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I'll be interested to hear the results of this. I've got some hairline cracks on my deck I'd like to get filled in.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2016 :  20:21:27  Show Profile
"Hairline cracks" are generally shrinkage of the gelcoat layer on the fiberglass laminate that covers any core, if there is any. Unless you can insert a thin tool more than about 1/32" into the crack, there's not likely a crack in the underlying laminate. In that case, patch and relax.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

sethp001

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2016 :  08:06:10  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

"Hairline cracks" are generally shrinkage of the gelcoat layer on the fiberglass laminate that covers any core, if there is any. Unless you can insert a thin tool more than about 1/32" into the crack, there's not likely a crack in the underlying laminate. In that case, patch and relax.

Thanks, Dave. If I am able to insert the tool deeper than 1/32", should I wait to let the core dry?

Seth
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2016 :  14:03:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sethp001

[quote]Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Thanks, Dave. If I am able to insert the tool deeper than 1/32", should I wait to let the core dry?
Only if you can get down over 1/4" and feel soft core. Even then, while a thin crack can let water in, it might not help much to dry it out. I'd stop the leak if there is one. Some strategic holes on the inside will probably be more effective for drying.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

sethp001

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2016 :  16:24:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by delliottg

I'll be interested to hear the results of this. I've got some hairline cracks on my deck I'd like to get filled in.

MagicEzy was a disaster. It hardly filled the cracks and left smears all around them. It was not easy. The built-in "patent pending" spreader at the end of the tube is a joke. I tried at different temperatures 70-90°F, sun light and shade, but I couldn't get it to work well, even using other spreaders. The Matterhorn White color recommended by Catalina Direct did not match my boat. It also seemed somewhat rubbery when cured.

After that failure, I tried Evercoat Gel Coat Scratch patch (I think recommended by Stan) that I had previously hesitated to use because of my missing artistic talent. Nevertheless, Evercoat worked fantastic. It was easy to apply and handle from 70-95°F, sunlight and shade. The basic white color matched the white on the boat perfectly. It was hard like gelcoat when cured.

Evercoat is roughly half the price of MagicEzy, so to me its a clear winner. Ironically, I was able to use the end of the tube of Evercoat as a spreader, which worked well. The Evercoat product also included an additional spreader tool.

Seth
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2016 :  07:34:40  Show Profile
Hi Seth, sorry you were the one that discovered the shortcomings of MagicEzy . . . but thanks for sharing your experience here.

Hopefully you've passed on your results with the supplier (Catalina Direct?) so they can perhaps reevaluate the product.

Yet another great example of the benefits of this forum.

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page