Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Boarding ladder with stern rail?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smosh
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/21/2016 :  04:25:11  Show Profile
Hello all - this is the first of several questions....i'll keep them in separate topics for better organization and future search. And because I haven't thought of them all.

I purchased a boarding ladder that would be installed on the transom. But i have the standard non-split single tube stern rail. Does anyone have this combo and is it a complete hassle to climb underneath or over the rail? I bought it last year, so i can't return it.

And if i do install it, how does one back up the bolts? Can't seem to reach the area just through the hull, so bolts would have to go all the way through to the quarter berth. Is that a crazy idea....would it be solid enough to hold the ladder and people without twisting and breaking something?

Thanks!

1979 C25 - Hull #1000

Currently "Phoebe"

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2016 :  06:46:02  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Smosh,

You said bolts going all the way through to the quarter berth, so we must assume that your outboard mount is on the port side of the boat. Which in my view makes it easier. I would buy 1 or 2 8" inspection ports and install them at the end of the quarter berth thereby giving you access to the area you need in order to do the installation right. My swim ladder and motor mount happen to be the opposite of yours. Good luck.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2016 :  17:18:34  Show Profile
Mine is also on opposite side. It was backed up on the inside with some scrap fiberglass about 3 x 14in or so and a 1/4in thick. When I refit all my hardware I went ahead and epoxied it to the inside of the transom. It feels much better now, I think it was starting to get a little soft. I also have a solid one piece rail and we climb over it. I usually grab on to th backstay for support. I wouldn't do it in a huge hurry though. I have had to abort mission, but that was probably for other reasons:)

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Edited by - Akenumber on 05/25/2016 17:22:04
Go to Top of Page

smosh
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2016 :  08:27:28  Show Profile
I decided not to install the ladder. Figured I'd wait to seem if I needed one (last year on a slip; this year on a mooring with launch service) for height difference. I'd pick up a quick step if i needed it. Boat splashed this weekend; no real need of steps. The launch is an easy step. The inflatable dinghy last year was a climb - if that were my main way onto the boat; i'd be laddering!

thanks! I'll install it next spring. It would be good to have if i've already got the parts.

1979 C25 - Hull #1000

Currently "Phoebe"
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2016 :  18:33:14  Show Profile
We always use an 8ft rib and side tie. Have no problems boarding. Pretty much use the ladder for swimming and possible MOB.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page