Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 New cushions.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pizza Party
Deckhand

Member Avatar

18 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/09/2016 :  19:03:29  Show Profile
Everyone has different opinions about the necessity of replacing outdated/worn cushions and how to do it, and here is our take so far.

Rather than going completely DIY or completely professional I think we have found a happy medium.

We bought our foam online to match the density of the original foam, but rather than buying it by the foot we purchased 4" polyurethane King size mattress toppers instead. The square footage of one the topper was enough foam to do the entire dinette and satee for about half as much as any quote/price found for the same density foam by the foot. We cut the foam using a hot wire, a razor blade and a turkey knife based off the original cushions. We used a hoe made hot wire to slice the foam down to 2" for the backs of the dinette and satee.

For the fabric we found outdoor fabric that we liked online for less than 5$ a yard. Hancock fabrics had some even cheaper as they were going out of business, but none really fit what we were going for.

Finally, we found a local seamstress that could sew the fabric and cushions professionally for roughly 300 bucks.

We only have 3 cushions done now but we are really happy with how they are turning out so far so I thought I would share :)

The pattern might be a bit much for some people, but we really like how colorful it is. Much of our boat is too tan :(

They're not perfect, but for less than 600 dollars we will have all new upholstery in our boat. It would be slightly more if we were doing the vberth (we are using the v berth primarily for storage for now), but not too much more as we have more than enough fabric still, and most of the foam we would need for it.

1983 TR FK Dinette C25 on Lake Superior

Edited by - Pizza Party on 05/09/2016 19:05:55

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2016 :  20:01:05  Show Profile
I see you have the dinette style cabin like mine on Passage. Do you usually use the table and just removed it for the photo of those gorgeous cushions or did you eliminate the table?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

offshoreaccount
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2016 :  20:57:08  Show Profile
Nicely done. Since you went through that trouble, mind sharing the (rough) dimensions? Wondering what combo of sizes would cover both berths also.

Offshore Account, 1977 Hull #243. SR, SK
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2016 :  22:14:47  Show Profile
just curios who did you buy fabric from at 5\yd...? Nice job on the sewing.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

Pizza Party
Deckhand

Members Avatar

18 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2016 :  23:47:52  Show Profile
Vo yager, I actually just bought the boat this March and haven't yet spent any non-working time in it. That being said I do plan to keep the table in most of the time (the lady and I will be staying aboard for the better part of the season here). For now it is out of the boat along with most if the remaining woodwork, awaiting to finish being varnish and reinstalled. I will also note though that I am replacing the table all together with an old coffee table cut down to size. The veneer on the cofee table is much more attractive to us than the one that is on the original table.

Offshoreaccount, I truthfully have already thrown out the scratch notes I drew up when planning this all out, but I can tell you that a king size topper, as mentioned before, will be enough for the entire dinette and salon. That is provided that you find a way to slice the 4" foam into 2" thickness. This allows you to make the dinette backs out of a single section of foam. I used and old model train controller and a wire resistor mounted to a table to slice the foam in half. For the quarter berth a single double topper will be more than enough to make new cushions. We are making two separate cushions instead of one since the size and dimensions will be more manageable that way. As far as the v berth is concerned, it gets trickier there. We didn't look at in depth realy since we knew we weren't doing new cushions there for now, but we did have difficulty making the two berths fit into one King size toppers dimensions. We figured no matter how we sliced it we would need at the very least another twin topper. The best route to go was two doubles to make both berths we found (this would still be substantially cheaper than buying the foam by the foot) Sorry again I don't have the dimensions any longer.

Sailynn, we found the fabric at fabricguru.com for 4.95 a yard. We first saw it at Jo Anne in person for 12+, but after a bit of searching online found it on clearance at fabricguru. Browsing through their site, they do have similarly priced fabrics in other designs as well. The fabric we are using is not sunbrella fabric, it is regular outdoor fabric.

Edited by - Pizza Party on 05/12/2016 23:58:50
Go to Top of Page

jmczzz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
92 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2016 :  04:16:52  Show Profile
Really nice!

1978 C25 SK SR # 808
Go to Top of Page

Digger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
35 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2016 :  09:26:37  Show Profile
The cushions look very nice. You are right about the Catalina original colors being tan. You brought color as well as comfort into your salon. Good job!

Steve Digby
1983 Catalina 25
Standard Rig
Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/22/2016 :  07:05:57  Show Profile
Hey PizzaP,
One thing about any table you plan to install - make it as waterproof as possible. Use mahogany or another oil-infused wood, or coat it in several coats of clear polyurethane. My table is MDF, aka "sawdust and glue", covered with a thin Formica wood patterned veneer. By now it's being held together mostly by re-gluing the veneer. Now that Passage is splashed, I'll focus my attention on creating two tables:
1. A short mahogany or hardwood table, about 1/2 the length of the original that won't take up all the room in the cabin seating area. Scott Islander did this and it looks to afford him a great deal more space to move around.
2. A standard-sized utility table that will fill the entire space when in the down position for bunking in on a queen sized air mattress. Marine plywood coated with polyurethane ought to do it. In the off season it'll make for a good work area in the cabin. Stowage may become a problem, but I'm thinking it'll fit into the quarterberth or under the cabin sole.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Pizza Party
Deckhand

Members Avatar

18 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2016 :  06:19:21  Show Profile
Hey voyager,
Thanks for the input!
We also considered using the cabin as the main berth as you described, and might do so if there is ever more than just the two of us staying in the boat.

As far as the dinette table is concerned, I used an old coffee table I saved from the landfill and varnished it with several coats of goldspar (the same interior varnish I've been using throughout the boat). My craftsmanship isn't perfect, but for a free upgrade I'm very happy :)

I have more cushions in now too!

EDIT: I've tried several known bbcode variations to resize the above image within the forum, but none appear to work. My apologies for the massive inage.

Edited by - Pizza Party on 05/23/2016 06:33:20
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2016 :  20:43:05  Show Profile
Nice piping.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/27/2016 :  07:53:54  Show Profile
And the table's not bad either. How many coats of varnish?
BTW some picture posting sites offer various sizes of you original images like Flickr provides: 320x240, 640x480, 1280 by something...
Most photos - unless you're trying for super-fine detail don't need too much above 1280.
Some photo sharing sites like Picasa also provide image scaling tools to take a 4K picture down to 2k or 1k.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page