Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Just launched new to us C25
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sailynn
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/07/2016 :  20:26:43  Show Profile
Got wing keel in water Thurs. We had previously owned this boat and bought it back as is. My husband is focused on installing a mounted battery charger and a shore power outlet ad we will be in a slip now. My focus is to stop the port side window leaks in head and salon area and placement of the three bow bimini. Has anyone mounted the bimini to the stern pulpit? If so can you post pics?

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA

RickR
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2016 :  11:25:20  Show Profile
Congrats and welcome back! I had those leaks as well.. :/

RickR
Jamestown, NY
81 C25/SK/SR/Trad #2668
"Vind Dansor"
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2016 :  14:36:23  Show Profile
In order to mount a Bimini on the stern pulpit you will need to move the mainsheet from the end of the boom to a mid boom set up. This by moving the traveler to a cabin top or right in front of the companionway. Then you will need a Bimini with a hole and zipper for the backstay or stays to pass through. Similar to how a C250 is set up. It can be done...Alls it takes is $$$$

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 05/08/2016 14:41:46
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2016 :  15:21:55  Show Profile
Our bimini is two piece. A normal bimini mounted on the foresail t-tracks. We then added a second bimini aft of that. The frame for the second bimini attaches to the stern pulpit - and is connected to the first bimini with a zipper. There is also a slit in the aft bimini for the aft stay. As explained above, we relocated the main sheet forward - placing a traveler track just aft of the companionway.
Very pleased with the results.

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame
Go to Top of Page

offshoreaccount
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2016 :  18:48:28  Show Profile
I used silicone around the frames on my windows to stop the leaks. An onboard battery charger is easy to install in the lazarette (on backside of wall behind the galley sink). I've seen shore power facing the center of the boat, and facing outwards. Mine faces inwards, but can't see why you couldn't install it facing out.

Offshore Account, 1977 Hull #243. SR, SK
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2016 :  03:26:12  Show Profile
His boat is an 87. He has frameless windows in the cabin. The 2 in the head area have frames and can be opened.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2016 :  07:01:00  Show Profile
Might this help?

Captain Tolley's... It's a thin, water-based acrylic sealant that by capillary action finds its way into whatever little cracks water is getting into, and then sets up to seal the crack.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/09/2016 18:23:16
Go to Top of Page

offshoreaccount
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2016 :  10:54:44  Show Profile
i would think a thin bead of silicone around the exterior would still do it, but mine does have frames.

Offshore Account, 1977 Hull #243. SR, SK
Go to Top of Page

Sam001
Vice Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
441 Posts

Response Posted - 05/15/2016 :  04:25:40  Show Profile
Always nice when the boat comes back :-)

Capt Sam, USCG Master Near Coastal
Isle of Hope, GA. Charleston,SC. Lake Murray, SC.
Aboard Bobbin - 1982 Standard Rig-Swing Keel #2963 Dinette Model
"On a powerboat you are going somewhere....On a Sailboat you are Already There!" Capt Sam

http://my.boatus.com//memberPhotos/6315398_1_25502.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2016 :  19:10:18  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have a bottle of creepy crack filler I have never used, and was going to try it on gel coat cracks, but may try it on windows now as rain is expected Friday. We get our shore power plug Wed. and after looking for locations decided on the starboard side just aft of the window as the cord will be less of a tripping hazard which I have a problem with a bad hip and two artificial knees. The first electrical outlet will be placed near the battery compartment, with at least two other locations to follow. The bimini ideas gave me thought, as we don't want to move the traveler forward. I sew canvas so adding a zippered sunbrella piece while at dock may be the solution. Other projects will be a hinged table with storage, additional ice box insulation, cutout storage behind the seat backs and additional change over to LED interior lights we just received today. I've been taking pictures but not the brightest duck when it comes to uploading them. By the way, I'm a woman, not a man :)

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2016 :  21:00:07  Show Profile
For cosmetic "spider cracks" in the gelcoat, I'll suggest this:

Dab on and sand off with fine sandpaper. Capt. Tolley's is more for leaks that are hard to find--it finds them by following them.

99 and still sailing?? How did your knee project go? I'm facing that now--for at least one (bone-on-bone), and I'm thinking if I'm going to do it, I might as well do the other that is close to the end, and only suffer once. Good idea or bad?

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/16/2016 21:06:02
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2016 :  22:10:30  Show Profile
just turned 65. best thing I did was knee surgery. sorry I wasted so much time in pain. My ins. company would not let me do both at the same time. did them 6 mos. apart which worked out great. make sure you do the physical therapy! Have used the evercoat, but one area must have a void, because the crack reappears after the evercoat. One of the first things we did this time with the boat was install lifting struts for the pop top. I need a pop top enclosure if anyone out there has one they want to sell or trade for a large whisker pole.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2016 :  03:15:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Sailynn

just turned 65. best thing I did was knee surgery. sorry I wasted so much time in pain. My ins. company would not let me do both at the same time. did them 6 mos. apart which worked out great. make sure you do the physical therapy!

I had a total knee replacement 3 years ago. Best thing I ever did. As for the physical therapy, hopping around the deck and getting on and off was great therapy. Now I'm back to skiing also.
I just had rotator cuff surgery one week ago. Getting old is not for the feint hearted.

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2016 :  03:59:22  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
What you can do in lieu of a pop top enclosure is go to a store that sells a lot of camping supplies and see if they have a large insect screen used for tents. I bought one years ago and it is suitable for those nights sleeping on the boat and wanting to keep the enclosure up but bugs out. My insect screen is just large enough to droop down covering the companionway and all sides of the raised pop top. I then take up the addl slack in the screen forward of the pop top by gathering the excess netting and holding it together with a spring clamp I had in a desk drawer at home. The netting was not all that expensive but that was also many years ago...believe less than $20.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2016 :  20:28:15  Show Profile
quote:

Got wing keel in water Thurs. We had previously owned this boat and bought it back as is. My husband is focused on installing a mounted battery charger and a shore power outlet ad we will be in a slip now. My focus is to stop the port side window leaks in head and salon area and placement of the three bow bimini. Has anyone mounted the bimini to the stern pulpit? If so can you post pics?

Mine is on a sliding track so it can be moved fore and aft depending on the time of day. I keep it forward over the companionway when it looks like it's going to rain. Only issue is adjusting the straps to keep it tight.

I've also got a heavy "screen" material like you see on some of the bigger cruisers that can be attached to the bimini to reduce the sun coming into the cockpit. Lets some of the breeze thru but not much of the sun.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2016 :  17:05:13  Show Profile
SKS I feel your pain. Spent six weeks in PT with torn muscles pulling the starter cord on our C22 motor and losing my balance. Very small rotator tear but lots of muscles damaged so I passed on rotator cuff surgery. Now have a electric start on the C25. I sew with a Sailrite machine so I may make my own pop top cover and use no-seeum netting for the hatch way and forward hatch. The suggestion on the netting is a good idea for summer weather but we use the boat all year long so need more protection and privacy. We did get lights changed out to LED and shore power installed with one outlet so far. Cut the table down and added piano hinge to mount to bulkhead. Someone measured wrong by 1 1/2 inches so it came home for another cut. Bought a piece of carpet and will put it down on next trip to boat in a couple weeks. Hubby had abdominal surgery Monday so it will be 6-8 weeks before we will be sailing again, but I will still be working on the boat. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2016 :  14:52:49  Show Profile
quote:

. . . and placement of the three bow bimini. Has anyone mounted the bimini to the stern pulpit? If so can you post pics?

Four bow bimini. Main bow attached to foresail tracks, aft bow attached to stern pulpit.

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - OJ on 06/16/2016 14:55:03
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page