Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Anchor set-up
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

woodyoureally
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/28/2016 :  07:55:07  Show Profile
I am wondering everyone's thoughts on the anchor set up my boat came with.

The diameter measurements for chain and rode are done with digital calipers. I am not sure if those are the actual sizes chain and rode would be sold in (or that they are exact).

I am thinking the 20 lb would be primary. The others would serve as a lunch anchor and back-ups. Does it make sense to keep all three on board or would 2 suffice?

I know I need to add shackles and thimbles to all attachment points. Wondering if anyone sees any other issues I am missing.

20 lb CQR. 120' 13/32 rode. 6' 11/32 chain.
10 lb CQR. 75' 21/64 rode. 6' 21/64 chain
10 lb Danforth. 120' 21/64 rode. 6' 21/64 chain

82 Catalina swing keel. Standard rig. Honda 9.9 XL OB

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2016 :  08:11:36  Show Profile
It depends on the conditions where and when you anchor. I have anchored my C&C 35 in pretty bad conditions (sizeable waves rolling into the anchorage) using both a CQR and a Danforth, set at about a 45 degree angle to each other. I'd suggest those two. In good holding ground, the Danforth can really dig itself in and provide good holding for it's weight. For either of those anchors, I'd suggest you set them well by backing down on them.

Someone else might have different thoughts, but I don't see any particular use for the 10 pound CQR. If you can still contact the previous owner, you might ask him about it. Maybe it just came with the boat when he bought it, and he never used it, or maybe he bought it to use in some specific situation.

Generally, it looks like you have good anchoring options.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 04/28/2016 08:17:04
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2016 :  08:41:30  Show Profile
All I would add to Steve's reply is that more chain might be wise. Some say it should be at least the length of the boat as a rule of thumb. Chain does two things: It resists abrasion when being dragged across the bottom, and if there's enough, it helps keep the pull-angle on the anchor lower. 1/4" hot-dipped galvanized chain is all you need for a 25' boat. (I'm not a fan of vinyl-coated chain, partly because it doesn't stow nicely.) To that I add 1/2" twisted nylon rope for the length of rode I want for up to 7:1 scope overnight. If that yellow stuff is polypropylene, I'd replace it.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2016 :  09:31:27  Show Profile
I agree re: polypro. There's not much it should be used for on a boat.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2016 :  11:04:37  Show Profile
There are a lot of rule-of-thumb guesstimates, but the two points Dave makes are the real issues. More is better but heavier. I don't think anything less than 10" is useful, personal opinion only. Don't run to your nearest big box hardware store for your chain, its cheap, Chinese junk. P/S tested some no pedigree chain a few years ago and some samples broke before reaching their safe working load, 20% of their rated breaking load, a total crapshoot. US and Canadian brands are reliable, Addco is one brand that comes to mind. I agree with Steve on the 10# CQR, that could be a dingy anchor. My primary is a 14# Danforth. The rule on chain brands also applies to anchors. Danforth style can be junk. If it doesn't say Danforth or Fortress, replace it. They are both fine anchors, but the inconvenience of the heavier steel Danforth is offset by P/S testing that demonstrated that weight is important in initial penetration of hard or weedy bottoms. Comparing a lot of tests suggests that they have similar, excellent, holding power in comparable bottoms.

edit: The yellow might be the once popular nylon colored to look like manila. Hold it in your hand and rub your thumb forcefully along it. Polypropylene feels oily and floats and has no place on a boat.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 04/28/2016 11:11:09
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2016 :  11:32:09  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
OT, but the one use I find on my boat for braided polypro line is my dinghy's towing painter. Since it floats, it's less likely to get into my prop, plus I attach the painter on the port stern (outboard's on starboard stern). Other than that, I agree.

One good use of polypro for other crab fisherman is when the drop their pot(s), the line floats to the top and promptly gets cut by someone's prop, so the marker float drifts away. The line will remain floating right above the now abandoned trap waiting for someone to come along and discover it (this is how we found a trap last year).

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2016 :  12:58:24  Show Profile
I have poly attached to my life ring because it floats. I put knots every ten feet along the line. A floating yellow line is easier for a MOB to see and the knots add a hand hold. I also used it for the dingy painter to keep it out of the prop on the boat. The 10# anchor could be a stern anchor to keep the boat from hunting. Just a guess.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2016 :  12:06:38  Show Profile
Welcome to the Association Forum, Derek!

My question is where do you do your sailing - North Shore, Boston harbor, Narragansett, Stonington, or somewhere else? Your home town is about equidistant from each of those interesting places. The anchoring may be different where you go.

A friend has a boat in East Greenwich, RI and never uses his anchor in the rocky bottoms of the Narragansett Bay since there are either marinas or mooring balls everywhere we go in that area. When he sails with me the experience on the Chesapeake is the opposite, in that there are very few mooring opportunities but lots of places to anchor in shallow water with mud bottoms and good holding.

Local knowledge is good to acquire from sailors at your marina and from looking at the details of your chart.

By the way, the most useful place on my boat for yellow polypropylene line is as part of my LifeSling, which I have kept ready to use on the stern rail during each of the 10 years I have owned the Gypsy. No one's fallen overboard yet! Only jumped in to go swimming!

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay

Edited by - JohnP on 04/29/2016 12:09:29
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2016 :  14:54:35  Show Profile
Yes, I did overlook the COG and painter value, but stressing that a line that sets when coiled, doesn't hold knots well, and isn't particularly strong must be limited to specific purposes.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page