Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Raising the mainsail (need help).
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jfilion2
Deckhand

Member Avatar

Canada
22 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/16/2016 :  17:13:05  Show Profile
Ok, kindof a funny story.

My boat launched yesterday, and so I spent the afternoon today getting the lines set up in an effort to raise the main sail.

There was no wind.

I put the plastic pieces into the slot on the mast, ran the rope through the pulleys and around my winch.

I started pulling it up.

It sounded like children screaming. lol. Screeches the likes of which I have never heard from my boat before.

By the time I got the first 6 feet of sail up, I could no longer pull it. Not even using the winch.

So of course I put my two feet on the wall, and put my back into it. I must've pulled well over 300 lbs. I am on the Varsity rowing team so this motion is familiar to me. The rope got twisted and over lapped in my winch, I figured this was great, more friction ! YES ! Just what I need.

Heave, heave, heave ! Like the chain gang in Les Miserables.

Finally got it to the top, whew. It screeched and complained all the way up.

The wind started to pick up so I decided to take a quick photo and then put it down...

Snap. There's so much tension on the line, and it's all knotted up on my winch. I had to cut the rope (only lost the first 6 inches of my main line).

The sail is still up, the wind really picks up! Now the boat is on edge, but still in my dock ! It's like its flying at 4 knots but there's nobody in it, and it's tied up in my slip!

I start to panic. I try to pull down the main sail but it's so freaking stuck up there. Friction so tight it's like its welded in place. I try and try but I'm not strong enough to pull it down.

Finally it hits me. Build an "aider" ladder out of accessory cord and tie that to the eyelets in the sail for reefing. So I do, and step 255 lbs onto it.

It moaned and complained and screeched its way down 3 inches at a time.

So embarrassing on the first day. lol.

What am I missing ? Do I have to lube these little plastic bits up? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I made a real spectacle of myself today.

This photo should be rotated vertically.

Edited by - jfilion2 on 04/16/2016 17:47:10

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2016 :  18:08:51  Show Profile
You definitely have something wrong. I would first see if your halyard is not the problem. Disconnect the halyard from the sail and see if it runs free at the masthead sheave There should be no resistance when you pull on the lines.If the line is hard to pull then the problem is in the masthead, A broken sheave or a jumped line.If the line runs free then you can look at the plastic slugs. Are any of them broken or binding? How old are they? Can you slide them up the slot by hand? You can lubricate them with silicon spray applied to the slugs and onto the slot in the mast.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2016 :  18:10:03  Show Profile
Are the sheaves at the masthead in good condition and free running without the sail. Hold both ends of the halyard and move it up and down to verify it. Cleaning the track is the next step. Its easier with the mast down, but not normally that difficult with the mast up. It might be more of a challenge in your situation. I stuff the end of a rag into the slot, soak the track and rag with SailKote and work it up and down as far up as I can reach. You might have to pull the rag out and re do it if its really gunky. The next step is to knot the free end of the rag and tie it to the main halyard with a messenger line to pull it back down. Alternating the halyard and messenger, move it up and down a foot or two at a time until you reach the masthead. This is where you could have trouble. Since the slugs eventually did get up and down the rag probably won't get wedged, but it could. Bring the rag all the way down to change or clean and resoak it with SailKote it a few times. You should do this several times until the rag slides easily to the masthead. In the future, do it every season. If you can't raise the sail by hand, STOP and figure out what the problem is.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2016 :  18:42:35  Show Profile
It is easy to reverse/twist the slugs

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2016 :  20:32:12  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Everyone,

I haven't gotten to the point of raising my main yet but I am sure glad I got to read this post before I tried. I will be sure to service the sail slot and check out my masthead sheaves before I try. And sailkote sounds like a great product. I'll be sure to get some.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2016 :  03:41:22  Show Profile
+1 for checking the sheaves in the masthead. I replaced mine a couple years back and they fell apart when I took them out. Its likely the sheave has broken and the cable part of the halyard is has slid off and jammed.

Your slugs look loose enough. I don't see them binding that hard. Mine are old and worn and I need the winch that last few inches, but I could pull it tight by hand if I really put some back in it.

BTW, good looking main. That's next on my list once the boat budget recovers some. Also, don't worry about being that guy at the marina. I've done the same thing.... Its look like a calm day, I'm going to put the main up and work on the reef rigging. Then wham, the wind picks up.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2016 :  08:13:52  Show Profile
One day I was having a terrible time getting my genoa down and off the roller-furler, with a breeze complicating things... I pulled, tugged, and couldn't get it to budge. A friend came by, stepped up to the bow, lifted the little bit of the luff that I'd managed to pull out of the furler, and then stepped on the luff (which has a steel cable sewn in for the furler slot)--down it came about 2'. Another step, and another 2'... Pretty soon, it was all on the deck. So simple!

Did all that noise come from the slugs or the mast-head? As already noted, the halyard can get jammed up there, or a sheave (pulley) could be broken--the originals are plastic that deteriorates in the sun. I can't imagine the slugs being quite that terrible if they're the right size.

I wouldn't use silicone spray--it can leave a residue that collects dirt. Sailkote or CRC Dry Lube (Teflon) is much better.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/17/2016 08:19:23
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2016 :  12:10:55  Show Profile
If you have access to Sailkote then definitely use that. It's what I use. I suggested silicon as an alternative if you don't have any Sailkote around.

Go to Top of Page

jfilion2
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Canada
22 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2016 :  15:55:11  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips folks. Really, it helped a me out a lot. I used a silicon spray as I couldn't find Sailkote. It worked like a champ! I pulled the main up and down by hand without any effort. Amazing what a little lube can do!

I tested by pulling the lines as you suggested first and the sheaves seem good. No noticeable friction.

I thought I'd add a couple interior pics from today for your viewing pleasure.

Edited by - jfilion2 on 04/17/2016 15:55:49
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2016 :  17:01:22  Show Profile
Well there you go. If you get a chance clean the track like posted above. Truthfully my money was on a problem in the masthead. Better that its just a dirty track and slugs. Nice interior ya got there!

Edited by - islander on 04/17/2016 17:03:05
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2016 :  19:32:08  Show Profile
Very nice interior, congrats. I repurposed some teak items for my bar.

Frank Hopper

Edited by - pastmember on 04/17/2016 19:36:37
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2016 :  05:13:15  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
I vote for the masthead. The winch gives enough power to break plastic slugs if they get hung up. I'll bet since you have rope that a sheave has broken. If wire, Id say that it jumped the sheave, or wore its way through.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

jfilion2
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Canada
22 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2016 :  06:49:52  Show Profile
Nice looking bar you got there. I see you've done some other cool modifications too:

o The fan in the salon (do you find it makes a big difference?)
o The hammock in the front v-berth to store towels. Good idea.
o Is that Weekend a Bernie's on DVD ? lol

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2016 :  11:32:32  Show Profile
I have a hard time imagining a bar as pretty as those... with wakes from ferries and mega-yachts coming from all directions on top of wind waves from 100 miles of fetch... I tend toward beer cans and wine boxes--maybe some bottles for an evening cocktail cruise on the river.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

cudamank
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2016 :  13:46:43  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by jfilion2

I thought I'd add a couple interior pics from today for your viewing pleasure.
]

Great looking cabin!

1982 Catalina 25 SR FK
"Jenny"
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2016 :  13:58:04  Show Profile
Looks awfully nice, especially the table. I still have the crappy, heavy, Formica over partical board original.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page