Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Mast Gates and Boom
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Captmorgan
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/16/2016 :  07:31:35  Show Profile
So what do these have in common. I was talking to the owner of mastgates.com and he mentioned he had a quick release for the boom and that when he is in dock the extra foot or so of head room is nice. He also mentioned that sometimes he "Reverse Reefs" reefs the sail but raises it to the top. This gives him head room and less sail. If your just cruising and this might be a sinful question , why couldnt you just get a sail 1 foot shorter and use it. How much performance would that give up. How would that affect pointing and balance between keel and wind forces couldnt be any worse than reefing right? Could you then sail with pop up up.

Im just exploring with the others so I dont make any mistakes in exploring.

"The Gal-Way" 1985 SR/SK Barnegat Bay, NJ

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2016 :  08:36:56  Show Profile
"Reverse reefing" is certainly an option with a sliding gooseneck like you have on the '85. But regarding that or shortening the luff by a foot, I would make sure that the gooseneck doesn't end up riding on the mast gates. The gates CD sells are fairly robust, but I wouldn't trust them against the forces from the gooseneck, for example, in a jibe. I'd probably set a track-stop to keep the boom below the gates.

Reverse reefing or a shortened sail obviously reduces area just as regular reefing does, although it raises the center of effort (CE) of the sail from that of a normal reef, so the heeling force isn't reduced as much. However, it isn't increased--the reduced area offsets the raised CE. And if you shorten the sail, you could still have reef-points for what would effectively be a second reef.

Finally, sailing with the pop-top up? I always strongly recommend against it. The force of a falling pop-top would be so great, and the chances of it happening enough greater when the boat is heeling, pitching, rolling, etc., that it just isn't worth the risk IMVHO. Someone could literally be killed, or an arm crushed,... For a demo, push it up one foot and let it fall.[ /soapbox ]

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/16/2016 09:46:02
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2016 :  12:53:47  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Again,

Just my two cents about sailing with the pop top up. Aside from the possibility of injuries in case it came down unexpectedly, it could possibly let in a huge amount of water during an also unexpected knock down. Just a thought.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2016 :  15:36:54  Show Profile
True... as could the cockpit sail locker ("dumpster") which connects to the bilge. Keep it pinned.

That and the pop-top, even dogged down, have been mentioned numerous times as the best evidence the C-25 was not designed to be a "blue water" cruiser--in other words, one that can get you through whatever comes along out there when safe harbor is too far (like weeks) away.

But even small lake sailors can be tossed around by wakes and slop, and that heavy pop-top could do a lot of damage.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/19/2016 15:38:06
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2016 :  03:24:12  Show Profile
On my boat I have to remove the boom vang from the mast plate to lift the pop-top, which I haven't done in a couple of years. I have a standard rig so the boom height is enough to clear the bimini and at 5' 10" I can stand up under it. I haven't measured it but the first reef in the main is about two feet. My gooseneck is fixed. I believe if I had a tall rig I would raise the boom and have the sail re-done/replaced if just cruising. Just my thoughts.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2016 :  23:19:19  Show Profile
I let the boomvang line out just enough for the line to lay on the pop top. Mark the spot on the line with a permanent marker, so you know when to stop letting the line out to be lose enough to pop the top. You can also put a quick disconnect fitting at either end of the boomvang hardware and just disconnect one end.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page