Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Things that have made the boat better
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2016 :  16:23:58  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
Over the years Peregrine has had quite a few additions, new main, new motor mount and motor, Tohatsu,. New cushions, a bow roller and a new furler.
But this last year she got a custom cover. Something I should have done years ago.
Made by Fairclough it is tough, they have the pattern and it fit beautifully.
Admittedly we did not have a bad winter but we did have a few pretty heavy snows.
Peregrine came through dry and protected.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Edited by - Peregrine on 04/16/2016 16:26:39
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2016 :  12:27:22  Show Profile
Good evening all,
I was reading the posts and have a question on the 'tiller pilot'.
Are you all referring to the electric model?
I am looking at the 'wavefront tiller clutch'. All manual and looks good for short times away from the helm.
Does anyone have any experience with one of these? If so, can I get use the standard or do I need the HD model?
Thanks
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2016 :  12:14:23  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by jaydon

Good evening all,

Does anyone have any experience with one of these? If so, can I get use the standard or do I need the HD model?
Thanks
Jay

I like one that adjusts for resistance, not just "on or off"

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2016 :  13:50:06  Show Profile
The Davis Tiller Tamer is fully adjustable for resistance or you can lock it down. Its kinda the go to in tiller tamers and for much less than the one you are showing. I have one and it works fine.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2016 :  20:54:56  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Like so many other things, there are different - but perfectly valid - perspectives on securing the tiller. I've read of some interesting DIY arrangements, including some that allow for a bit of give, and I think a lot of people are happy with the Davis Tiller Tamer. My experience with the Davis device was not so positive. After going through two of them in fairly short order (plastic, not sturdy) I tried the WaveFront unit, and it has proved to be one of the best things I've put on the boat. Even when I'm using the tiller pilot (an old Autohelm 800 that came with the boat) I often disengage it and use the tiller clutch intermittently. However, whenever sea conditions require me to steer (or when I just prefer to steer manually) the tiller clutch gets a lot of use. It's so quick to engage and to disengage that I actually use it more while manually steering than as a temporary helm-lashing to allow me to get away from the tiller. It is indispensable for tacking single-handed. I'm on my third control line - they do wear out - but I haven't detected any reduction in holding power when I've replaced the control line. The unit seems to be holding up well after a few years of continuous operation. In terms of amount of use I'd say the tiller clutch has the edge over my tiller pilot, although they're both wonderful devices in their own right. If I lost both of them, however, I'd replace the clutch immediately and give more thought to replacing the pilot.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2016 :  08:34:03  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by jaydon

Good evening all,
I was reading the posts and have a question on the 'tiller pilot'.
Are you all referring to the electric model?
I am looking at the 'wavefront tiller clutch'. All manual and looks good for short times away from the helm.
Thanks
Jay

I found a "Tiller Tamer" on the boat when I bought her but did not like the way it looked on the tiller.
I use a 1/4" piece of bungee cord with loops on the ends for the cleats and through a clove hitch over the tiller. It holds the tiller fine and I can shove the tiller to port or starboard without removing it if I need a quick adjustment.
Old school is to do the same with a piece of line but I like the flexibility of the bungee cord. Also it keeps my tiller clean.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2016 :  10:51:16  Show Profile
I would like to thank everyone for the input.
I also did a search and found many reviews of all the methods.
I have decided on the Wavefront Tiller clutch.
I emailed wavefront and they told me, while the standard model would work, they recommend the HD 'X' model.
I think the ease of use with the lever convinced me.
I wish I could afford an auto pilot, but it's a little steep for me right now.
Again, thanks for all the advice.
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2016 :  14:13:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by indecentseas

5. Carabiners to attach my bumpers to the stanchions.

I just love this idea!!! So much easier than tying and untying
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer

Edited by - jaydon on 05/10/2016 14:14:34
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2016 :  15:32:09  Show Profile
Changes made beyond normal maintenance:
Moving traveler just aft of companionway - way more enjoyable sailing
Adding bimini (including aft extension)
Roller furling

Other small stuff:
Lines back to cockpit + clutches
Clutches for fender lines

Having Yamaha outboard serviced by certified Yamaha service dealer has greatly improved reliability, reduced stress!

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page