Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Sail Inventory
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladeswell
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/03/2016 :  08:13:57  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage

Hi Guys,
I live and will be sailing in southern California. I would like to know if anyone who is familiar with our sailing conditions could recommend a basic sail inventory. I have a partial list of the sails that came with my boat. I say partial because most I have not taken out of their bags to inspect.
I know, you are wondering why I didn't at the time of purchase. Well, the short answer is that it was already going to be a restoration project and that I got it so cheap that I just wasn't concerned about the condition of the sails.
So here is what I have. A brand new never used main sail. inspected. A spinnaker, inspected but unknown what type. A 150%, a 120% and one more of unknown size, (not in a sail bag). I only say 150 and 120 because thats whats on the sail bags. Thanks and good sailing all.
Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2016 :  11:25:49  Show Profile
You definitely need a 110%. Conveniently, there happens to be a decent used one for sale right here!!

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29638

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2016 :  13:20:17  Show Profile
Have you thought about roller furling? Racers and old-schoolers sniff at furlers, but for many of us, it makes sailing SOOOOO much easier and safer--especially if single-handing or sailing without experienced crew. We (or I) often would go out with the mains'l cover on, unroll the 130% genny, and sail on that alone for a peaceful sail to nowhere in particular. Pull the furling line and it rolls back up--we're done--no sail blowing around on the deck to fold and bag! And under main and genny with things piping up, it was easy and effective to roll our 130 down to 100, although reefing the main is generally the most effective first step in reducing sail.

Just a thought...

By the way, as a non-racer, I liked our "inventory" of the main and our 130% roller genny--it was a nice size for Long Island Sound winds (or lack thereof), easy to tack, and reasonable to reduce without messing up its shape. If I had replaced it, I would not have gone up to a 150 for the roller furler.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/03/2016 13:32:26
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2016 :  16:49:46  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi again All,

I appreciate your views and opinions. I understand the convenience of roller furling but would just prefer hank on sails. I think I will end up wanting a 110%, a 135% and a 150-155%. As well as the spinnaker. As I stated earlier, I have one sail not in a sail bag and uninspected so I have no idea about its size or condition. for all I know it may be a 110%. As far as that goes, The two sails I have in marked bags does not guarantee that those sails are actually as marked on the bags.
I guess I wont really know these answers without taking them all to a sail loft for inspection. Which of coarse I will do as I get closer to putting her in the water. Thanks again everyone. By the way, great price on the 110% David. Maybe you will still have it when I have my answers.
Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2016 :  19:08:08  Show Profile
I live in SD and I have a 150 furler most of the time all I need to do is move the Genoa cars. It is nice to furl if it gets that breezy. On my previous c22 the roughly 130 almost seemed too much, but less experience then.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page