Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Cabin Table
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pearson39b
1st Mate

Member Avatar

93 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/04/2015 :  14:39:04  Show Profile
Starting to put together my project list for rehabbing my 78 model, and one essential item is rebuilding the cabin table for this L-shaped dinette configuration. I'm having a hard time believing Catalina delivered this boat with the current formica covered, particle-board table, but that's what's currently falling apart and needing replacement. Also having a hard time finding 1" marine plywood, which would be my first choice for replacement material, so I'm wondering if anyone here has taken on this project before and has any suggestions regarding materials and techniques. Not in a huge hurry, but would like to start getting my ducks in a row.

Anyone?

Sailor Jerry
C-25 "Sea Song"
1978, SK, Std.
Pepin, WI

Edited by - pearson39b on 11/14/2015 09:51:05

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2015 :  05:16:09  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
you could glue together 2 1/2 inch pieces. would be just as strong. I was thinking about doing a foam core table with 1/4 or 1/8 plywood glued to either side of the core.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2015 :  09:07:17  Show Profile
Jerry, Since it's an inside table it really doesn't have to be "Marine" grade wood unless you plan on putting it outside. If you are going with plywood I would think an exterior grade would be fine.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2015 :  11:27:02  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
foam core table for RV
http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=77322.0

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2015 :  08:43:18  Show Profile
From our Tech Tips--Knot Yet's dinette table made of teak strips...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2015 :  19:28:36  Show Profile
Teak or birch veneer plywood stained to look like teak -- with teak trim should do just fine. I have been thinking about redoing mine with teak veneer plywood to make it lighter and better looking than than the original formica

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 11/08/2015 :  08:01:53  Show Profile
Hi Jerry,

I don't know how bad your table is. If it isn't completely falling apart you might consider taking the formica laminate off and replacing it with teak veneer (as suggested above).

I also have an L-dinnette, and while my table wasn't falling apart, the PO had spilled something on it, and it looked pretty nasty. The table top was still sturdy, so I chose to trim the edges off and build a new top using the old table as a base. That made it pretty sturdy, and I didn't have to worry about remounting the top of the pedestal to the table bottom.

I bought a bunch of teak printer stands on eBay. No one else wanted them, so I got them for a song. They were made of solid teak, and I got the wood MUCH cheaper than I would have if I'd bought teak by the board foot. I have used that wood for several projects, and I still have a little bit. 'Turned out to be quite a bargain.

Anyway, I've lost most of my photos due to several hard drive crashes over the years. I did find this photo that will give you an idea of how it looks. My table has the same dimensions as the old table, so I am still able to lower it and use that area for a sleeping berth ...

Whether you decide to build a new table from plywood (or some other material), cover it with veneer, or build a new table on top of the old one (as I did), you might consider adding some wood strips to the edges to act as fiddle rails. They'll give it a nice finished look by hiding the edges, and they'll help keep things from rolling off the table when heeled. I have fiddles on the edges that I made from a curved part of the teak printer stands I bought ... they're kinda' hard to see in my photo.

Whatever you decide to do, keep us posted on your progress, and good luck!

Buzz Maring

~~Freya~~
C-25 SK/SR #68
Lake Dallas, TX
Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 11/08/2015 :  13:47:45  Show Profile
Kinda sorry I asked this queston, cause now I'm not going to be happy with just doing a quick and easy fix! These tables really ramp up the quality level....

I do have to build a new base, Buzz. The particle board is falling apart, and besides - I hate the stuff in this application - too heavy and structurally fragile. I'm hoping I can get the old fiddle rails off and re-use the, and I like your idea of putting a finish veneery over a marine plywood base. Will try to photo document the project once I get started...

Sailor Jerry
C-25 "Sea Song"
1978, SK, Std.
Pepin, WI
Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 11/08/2015 :  13:53:28  Show Profile
Sorry, should have credited Peter with the veneer idea.

I also followed up Todd's link on the foam core idea, but not sure I've got the time or skills to pull that one off - attractive though it is...

Sailor Jerry
C-25 "Sea Song"
1978, SK, Std.
Pepin, WI
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 11/09/2015 :  07:10:01  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Pearson,

I have a 79 "L" shape Dinette C25. Mine is teak. Good luck with your restoration. Bladeswell.

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 11/14/2015 :  10:10:07  Show Profile

I wanted to salvage the trim around the edge of this table and simply replace the particle board, but I'm now leaning toward rebuilding the whole unit and putting new trim on a new base of exterior plywood with a teak veneer glued on top of the ply.

Really like the looks of Dave Bristle's trim, and I'm wondering where you got it, Dave?

Sailor Jerry
C-25 "Sea Song"
1978, SK, Std.
Pepin, WI
Go to Top of Page

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 11/14/2015 :  11:12:27  Show Profile
Hi Jerry,

That isn't Dave's table ... he got that photo from the archives ... it was someone else's project.

You might be able find something here: http://www.plasteak.com/, but it won't be cheap.

You might just try to Google "teak trim" or "teak accessories," or you could even look for a boat salvage company that might have something you could use. You could get lucky and find a ready-made table that you could use as-is.

BTW, from the looks of your table, that isn't the stock table that came with the boat.

Buzz Maring

~~Freya~~
C-25 SK/SR #68
Lake Dallas, TX
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/14/2015 :  12:50:23  Show Profile
Looks like standard teak trim or molding. Do a search for it and you will come up with multiple suppliers.

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/14/2015 :  20:10:15  Show Profile
Yup--Knot Yet is knot my boat. That's a project from our Tech Tips section (on the menu at left). I suspect the moldings, including the radius corners, are standard pieces like these at Defender, which are certainly available elsewhere.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 11/16/2015 08:06:34
Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2015 :  21:55:00  Show Profile
Good link, Dave. Thanks.....

Sailor Jerry
C-25 "Sea Song"
1978, SK, Std.
Pepin, WI
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2015 :  20:24:52  Show Profile
Jerry,
I will be in Santa B in January. If you are around then, I would be happy to help you make a table. We have a full woodworking capability, table saw, router, planer, etc....
Cheers,
Scott

Scott
'88 WK/SR #5727
Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 11/27/2015 :  10:34:23  Show Profile
Scott,
Thanks for the generous offer. I think I may have found a solution back here in Wisconsin, but if that doesn't work out, I may take you up on it.
At any rate, I'll be back in Ventura by January, so give me a call if you want to get together when you come out. Really enjoyed our sailing last year.
Regards,

Sailor Jerry
C-25 "Sea Song"
1978, SK, Std.
Pepin, WI
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 11/28/2015 :  05:42:07  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Maring

Wow, this is very nice interior. Don't you wanna share more photos please? Thumb up.

Dalpol Phobos 21, 2013, Sole Mio, hull #27, current adventures - We sail Phobos 21

PO of Catalina C25, 1978, High Anxiety, hull #701, SR, FK, L-dinette, inboard diesel Volvo Penta MD2010C w/saildrive - more info
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 11/28/2015 :  07:56:57  Show Profile
Are these and more examples out on the forum photo pages?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 11/28/2015 :  08:15:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Are these and more examples out on the forum photo pages?

The photo Tomas asked about is mine from Freya. I'll dig up some others and post them later. After several hard drive crashes I'm having a hard time finding them

Buzz Maring

~~Freya~~
C-25 SK/SR #68
Lake Dallas, TX
Go to Top of Page

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 11/29/2015 :  17:00:38  Show Profile
Thank you, Tomas, for the compliment! I have found a few more photos, so I'll go counterclockwise around the salon to show a few other mods I've made.

I should start by saying that I have a Norwegian heritage ... my grandparents immigrated from Norway at the end of the 19th century. In Norway everyone owns or rents a cabin in the mountains to get away from it all, entertain friends and family, etc., and the farther away from civilization, the better. Freya is my "mountain cabin." Norwegians like to put their own touches on their cabins with handmade items, so that's what I've tried to do.

Here is another shot of the table I made from the teak printer stands ...

This is a coffee mug holder I made ... it is mounted above the galley ...

Here is a shot of the galley ...

I made a cabinet to store my galley ware ... you can just make it out behind my big sister. I also installed a small basic navigation station next to the companionway, and below that in the quarterberth you can see a teak cockpit grate that I made into a table for the cockpit ...

Here is what the cabinet looks like closed ...

Here it is open ...

I also installed a portlight underneath the starboard cockpit seat that lets light into the quarterberth. This last photo is a little cluttered, but it shows how much more light there is now ...

OK, that's it. I sure got a lot of mileage out of those teak printer stands I found on eBay ... 'one of the best bargains I've ever found! I have some teak left and a few more projects in mind, but I have to keep Freya on the hard for now due to financial concerns ... but ... things will get better.

Buzz Maring

~~Freya~~
C-25 SK/SR #68
Lake Dallas, TX
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 11/29/2015 :  17:13:34  Show Profile
Wow Buzz! That has to be the most beautifully fitted out C25 ever!

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 11/29/2015 :  18:09:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

Wow Buzz! That has to be the most beautifully fitted out C25 ever!

Wow

Thanks, Steve! That means a lot, especially coming from you ... you've been a valuable member of the Catalina family and of this Association for a loooong time.

Buzz Maring

~~Freya~~
C-25 SK/SR #68
Lake Dallas, TX
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 11/29/2015 :  19:44:35  Show Profile
WOW Buzz. Very nicely done. Umm, do you mind if we copy a few of you Ideas like the wine glass holder, and a few other things.

Wes

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 11/30/2015 :  06:48:32  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Thanks Buzz! You have pimped up your boat very nicely. It's my cup of tea.

That's why I love this, so called boat po*n, you can find very interesting ideas.

Dalpol Phobos 21, 2013, Sole Mio, hull #27, current adventures - We sail Phobos 21

PO of Catalina C25, 1978, High Anxiety, hull #701, SR, FK, L-dinette, inboard diesel Volvo Penta MD2010C w/saildrive - more info
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/30/2015 :  08:00:41  Show Profile
Very nice, I guess working with wood is no stranger to you. I especially like the use of Carabiners to hang the coffee mugs on.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page