Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 This is how I manage to put the boat on jacks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gerardolau
1st Mate

Member Avatar

78 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/04/2015 :  08:37:56  Show Profile
Hello, this is how I finally put my boat on stand to remove the trailer and service it, as well as bottom paint the boat and leave it nice, clean and tiddy ready for sailing season..

Here you can see that the stern stands dont fit into the bottom of the boat.. notice the stands are all the way down.

So I lowered the little wheel (dunno the name in english) to raise the stern

See the stands still all the way down, the stern raised about 3-4inches

Fitted the stands on the back, even raised them about an inch or so..

Jacked the front of the trailer and raised it up..

So, up it goes.. slow and carefully..

After it was high enough, jacked the trailer with pieces of wood..

Jacked a large piece of wood wider than the trailer wheels so I could take it out..

High enough to remove the trailer we proceeded to remove it..

Put the jack stands in place

And vouala!!!!

Secured the jacks with 3/4 inch rope..
The whole process took exactly an hour to do.. I thought it was going to take longer and it was going to be more difficult. Thank God it was all safe and nice..

See if it helps! cya round.. safe winds!

Thanks
Gerardo
1995 C250 WB

Edited by - gerardolau on 10/06/2015 18:34:18

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2015 :  11:49:35  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Thanks for all the pictures! So at one point you had the entire boat suspended on two points, at the stern and the wide beam?

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2015 :  12:42:43  Show Profile
Interesting process... I hope those blocks under the centerboard aren't supporting any more than the board itself.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2015 :  16:17:51  Show Profile

Thank you for sharing this process...

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2015 :  20:04:18  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I've thought about doing this, but since we've got a WK, there's an extra 1200 lbs and ~4' of keel that has to be considered. If I were going to do it, I'd build at least three custom cradles for forward of the keel, aft of it, and the stern. They'd have to be wide enough to span the trailer so the boat could be jacked up outside of it. There are plenty of other things to think about because of the keel, the guides would have to be removed (relatively easy), the pads would have to be lowered or removed along with their supporting pipes to keep from having to jack the boat up several feet to clear them.

It'd certainly be easier to have the boat hoisted onto stands by a crane.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page

gerardolau
1st Mate

Members Avatar

78 Posts

Response Posted - 10/05/2015 :  12:40:11  Show Profile
Thanks for all the pictures! So at one point you had the entire boat suspended on two points, at the stern and the wide beam?
David////
////Correct David, at one point. It as the scary moment but the jacks on the stern worked pretty nice.

Stinkpotter
Interesting process... I hope those blocks under the centerboard aren't supporting any more than the board itself.////
////Thats right, the blocks on the centerboard are not holding any of the boats weight.. like u say.. just for supporting the board not even with any pressure at all..

Realized the fiberglass is really strong material. Plus its a 1500pound boat.. not "too" heavy.. the fear i had was the jacks on the stern could go through and brake the fiberglass and make a huge whole..

Thanks
Gerardo
1995 C250 WB
Go to Top of Page

gerardolau
1st Mate

Members Avatar

78 Posts

Response Posted - 10/05/2015 :  13:03:40  Show Profile
How do u guys make the pics small enough so they have a good definition and are not to big for ur signature. I tried doing it but I get large pics and if i make em smaller it becomes blurry

Thanks
Gerardo
1995 C250 WB
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2015 :  20:21:00  Show Profile
My signature pictures are "thumbnails" from Shutterfly.com, intended for selecting pictures in an album there. I was able to copy URLs for the thumbnails. They're rigged in my signature so if you click on one, you get a bigger picture--I'd have to rediscover how I did that part.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/06/2015 20:28:42
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 10/07/2015 :  14:58:31  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Gerardo,
one of the benefits of Membership is the ability to upload your pics to the association site and include them in your forum posts, as well as build online albums of them. Mine are still there

Once your images are in your membership account, you can include them ideally sized for the forum or use the thumbnails for your signature. And soooo much more.

Just sayin

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015
Go to Top of Page

gerardolau
1st Mate

Members Avatar

78 Posts

Response Posted - 10/28/2015 :  19:10:03  Show Profile
As a result of removing the trailer and servicing it.. The mechanic guy noticed the braking system was not working at all.. the brake pads where like new.. cause the pump was not sending hydraulics because the housing got water in it and it was a mess.. anyway.. he fixed it and trailer brakes are good.. greased the bearings bla bla bla.. So in the end I did paint the entire bottom surface of my boat and trailer is in good condition now (which I didnt know until removing it). I trailered it from Tyler Tx, a couple of hours to the east from Dallas Tx, all the way down to Toluca Mexico, which is next to Mexico city to the West, without brakes!!! it was fun though.. cya round!

Thanks
Gerardo
1995 C250 WB
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2015 :  20:27:04  Show Profile
Nice work, Geraldo!

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Ben - FL
Admiral

Members Avatar

880 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2016 :  14:38:51  Show Profile  Visit Ben - FL's Homepage
Good stuff! I've been thinking about how to do my wing keel.

Safe voyages,
Ben
sloop Chick-a-pea,
C250wk#364
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page