Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Where have you been lately?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/26/2015 :  19:59:58  Show Profile
Where have you sailed to this week? I mostly worked this week but got a few miles out Friday on sweet easterlies until the sun set. But then the moon rose so I was able to get back an hour after dark. Didn't really go anywhere but we enjoyed a break from the routine and had dinner in the harbor under the moon & stars.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 09/26/2015 20:01:23

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2015 :  21:00:40  Show Profile

I love Fall sailing! 12 - 15 and 1' - 2' when I started for the islands, built to 18 - 20 and gusts with 3' - 4'. The clinometer only goes to 30 degrees, so I frequently pegged it. 4 kt's SOG on 2/3 of the 150

edit: On a return leg, with the help of Erie's short period square waves at 3'- 4' on the stern quarter, I averaged 7.19 kts for 45 minutes (calculated from gps track and time} broad reaching on the same sail area. Great ride!

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 09/27/2015 21:03:09
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2015 :  18:38:09  Show Profile
Yeah - that's awesome!!!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2015 :  09:11:17  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I generally sail twice a week after work. oftentimes, the wind favors staying in the Potomac River in the area from where the Anacostia River intersects and north just a mile or so to the 14th St bridge. However, this past week, the wind has been from the east-northeast and so that favored heading south to and past Old Town, Alexandria and then only having to tack perhaps a few times to get back north to my marina on the DC side as you enter the Anacostia River. Weekday sailing keeps me north of the Wilson Bridge. Weekend sailing, then I can occasionally make a longer trip as far south as I want as time allows which generally turns out to be not more than 6-10 miles south.

By the way, at National Harbor on the Maryland side of the river just past the Wilson Bridge, they erected a large Ferris wheel right onto/adjacent to the main concrete dock. (I think this is the second year it is up and running.) I heard they charge something like $50 plus for a family of 4 to go on it. The draw to it, besides something to do, is that I believe you can see the Washington Monument and the DC area from the high point on the Ferris wheel.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2015 :  09:48:15  Show Profile
Shades of the London Eye. They put one in at Pensacola Beach a few years ago, but moved it fairly soon thereafter to Panama City Beach. The carnival like atmosphere there seems a more appropriate siting.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2015 :  10:01:59  Show Profile
Nothing quite so grand for us. Local lake sailing with the family, including our almost 4 year old granddaughter. I've also been racing a C22: end of August at Weiss Lake in northeastern Alabama, then 2 weeks ago at Lake Lanier just north of Atlanta. This weekend I'm racing here in Nashville, and I'm the regatta chair for the event, our Oktoberfest Regatta and Music City Catalina Cup. It's also the last of a 5 race series in the southeast for C22's called GRITS - Great Racing In The South. Pray for me! I was out at the lake this morning checking up on one of the chase boats being loaned to us by a club member for the regatta.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2015 :  15:43:47  Show Profile
Beautiful fall weather and great sail on Sunday. Brilliant blue skies, flocks of geese overhead, high 60's. Winds were 10-15+kts and with a single reef in the main and a 110 jib we were able to hold 5.5 - 6.3kts on long broad reaches with only modest heeling (Admiral on-board). Slept on the mooring to watch the eclipse. Great day. Also likely our last sail this season as weather is deteriorating quickly and we haul out on Thurs.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2015 :  17:56:28  Show Profile
Went to the Maritime Festival in Greenport...AAARGH !

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2015 :  19:52:44  Show Profile
We all have our honeydews. Just hate when they coincide with the nicest last day of sailing. Hoping there'll be a few more. I'm planning on a 3-day weekend for Columbus Day (Oct 12). I've had good luck, great weather and fair breezes on past Columbus Day weekends.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2015 :  16:18:41  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
We took Eximius on a Shake Down Cruise this past week.

Worked out great despite the hot humid sweaty weather, storms, engine overheating, head reverse flow, and late night/early morning rework the docking lines on a transient slip.

My list of things to do to get ready for the Bahamas in the Spring has grown because of what we found on the shake down cruise.

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2015 :  16:45:41  Show Profile
Good approach getting the wrinkles out on a short trip before you attempt an Oddessy. Overheating engines and head problems seem to plague new owners of gently used boats. Comes with the territory I suspect. Cathy mentioned she saw some FB activity you posted recently. Now the timeline begins.

Some friends who live in Northern NJ sail their boat in Milford CT during the summers, but winter their boat near the Tappan Zee Bridge up the Hudson River from New York City.
Today they came to Milford to get it ready for tomorrow's sail back. Today's weather was sunny and cool in the low 60s with small craft advisories for 20-30kt breezes and higher gusts. The swell was about 4 ft with a 15s period. Weather should settle down to 15 kts NE tomorrow, so he and his wife will have a nice run with following seas. It's a 35 footer. Day 1 they should make Oyster Bay Long Island, then day 2 through Hell's Gate into the East River. The passage puts them under the RFK Triboro Bridge, then down the East River under the 59th St Mayor Koch Bridge, then under the Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan Bridge into New York harbor. From there, they turn the corner at Battery Park and the Statue of Liberty then up along the Hudson between the west side of Manhattan and Hoboken NJ.
Once up by the George Washington Bridge they're nestled between the Cloisters and the Palisades. Awhile later they've made their destination.
But that's not all... In three weeks they're taking off for Korfu Greece to sail a large Swan boat (55-65?) around the Mediterranean. They'll sightsee for a few weeks before heading out from Gibralter to the Canaries. There, they'll hook up with a flotilla heading to the BVIs for the holidays. Whoa - the guy was a welder before he retired!!!
Nice work.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2015 :  21:21:44  Show Profile

Gathering food near Fort St James in Northern BC

Bringing it out

It is Grisly & wolf country with tracks everywhere. The moose gut pile was buried by a Grisly the next morning

Tranquil and beautiful Great Beaver Lake full of trout and other fish in Northern BC around Fort St James

Crew to process the 530 lbs meat

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)

Edited by - zeil on 10/04/2015 21:23:37
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/05/2015 :  06:35:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

...The swell was about 4 ft with a 15s period...
Bruce: That's awfully long for L.I.S... Do you maybe mean 5 seconds?

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/05/2015 06:37:35
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2015 :  10:15:15  Show Profile
Henk,

Once long ago I lived in southern BC and traded a big bag of early "transparent apples" for a small bag of moose stewing meat and a smaller bag of moose sirloin. The stewing meat was the toughest I ever ate, but the moose steak was the most flavorful ever and as tender as filet mignon!

But now I'm a city slicker.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2015 :  16:59:23  Show Profile
I love the wide open spaces and while I don't hunt myself I can definitely see the appeal. Nice report!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2015 :  17:18:31  Show Profile

Just love and enjoy the beauty, tranquility and freedom of our wonderful province and country.

Even though gathering food is carefully regulated where in the world can you go out with a bunch of guys and harvest big game.

This trip clearly proved that going to the butcher is a mite more economical.

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/12/2015 :  18:17:19  Show Profile
We have been in Michigan for the past few days. Went to Grand Rapids to visit in-laws, actually the sister of our son-in-law and her family. Weather was delightful, as was the visit. HUGE art exhibit downtown was in its last week, so that was an additional treat. Then we drove down to South Haven, a quaint vacation community on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan, just a few miles south of Holland, MI. Clear skies but quite breezy today, with avg winds in the upper teens and gusts in the low 20's. Looks like we were about a week too early for the full fall colors, but it is also slated to get colder later this week. When we left this morning, the winds had built to the low 20's. Surf was big and very loud, sending big rollers and very disturbed water into the river inlet, waves crashing over the sea walls. Really awesome!
Arrived home about 30 minutes age and picked up the dog from the sitter. Total miles driven, 1,401.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 10/13/2015 16:49:06
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/14/2015 :  17:55:03  Show Profile
My grown son and I have done our Columbus Day sail every year since 2004. Often we camped out lakeside with my 16ft day sailor and did a lot of fishing. This year we started out on Sunday morning with the intent to sail across LISound to Port Jefferson. After an hour of sailing into big crashing surf and close reaching in 15kt winds, we decided to head downwind toward the Thimble Islands off Branford's Stony Creek. The islands are an outcropping of Connecticut red granite Brownstone, the same material as the bricks used for NYC's Greenwich Village Brownstone apartments.
The Thimbles are very reminiscent of the bays and islands of Maine right here in CT. Many sailors avoid the place since its a rock-laden landscape with lots of gotchas. We found a muddy bottom in the harbor (3.9') and later fretted as the depth sounder measured 30-26-5-40-12-4-18... passing over a rock garden. It's a beautiful and scenic seascape.
We spent the night at Outer Island in a small cove separated from the pounding surf by a seawall. We barbecued steaks on the rocks with our portable charcoal grill, and I cooked string beans and corn on my butane grill. With a moonless night we sat on deck and smoked cigars and drank brandy as we watched the stars and constellations pass overhead - Cassiopeia, Big Dipper, Orion Aquila all dancing across the sky for our entertainment as we listened to chamber ensemble music on the Podcast. We quietly retired to the cabin then with the sunrise we awoke to scrambled eggs, bacon and Texas toast - with OJ and black coffee. A feast of smells, textures and colors with Azure skies and a warm yellow sun rising and warming us into the unseasonable 80s in mid-October.
All was right with my world.
We sailed at 4-5 knots back to Milford with a stop off behind the New Haven break wall for a lunch of hot dogs, bacon, onions and mustard (ketchup too) and a frosty seltzer. Almost heaven!
This was my Columbus Day celebration.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/14/2015 :  21:01:10  Show Profile
Bruce--Passage is in good hands!

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2015 :  05:12:26  Show Profile
Well done...

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

ruachwrights
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
258 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2015 :  07:55:22  Show Profile  Visit ruachwrights's Homepage
My boat's on the hard. I did more sailing during my sailing sabbatical this past summer than the previous three years combined. Time to attend to the house....

Vern Wright
Hajime

97 Catalina 250 TR/ WK
Hull #301
Attleboro, MA

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2015 :  12:55:21  Show Profile
Bruce, Sounds like a perfect ending to the season. Personally I would take the Thimbles over PJ hands down.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2015 :  15:30:09  Show Profile
This weekend's due to be a frosty one so no sailing for me but I hope next weekend will be salvageable. The weekend of Halloween is when my crewe and I will take Passage on our annual 7 mile pilgrimage from Milford up the Housatonic R to Shelton for its winter's rest. A friend has already put his boat away so is eager to crew with me upriver that day. High tide is at 4:30pm and sunset is at 6:00. Hope it's not too chilly this year.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2015 :  19:23:59  Show Profile
Bruce's Columbus Day weekend was a winner -- I just was out on Columbus Day Monday -- with my now grown son - sailing to LI and back then into Norwalk where the boat was hauled on Tuesday, so, 2015 season is in the books and now it's time to dream and plan of what cane done in 2016

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2015 :  20:04:48  Show Profile
Sarge comes out some time next week... Given the helm station with a windshield, side-curtains, and even back-curtains, there's the potential for some cool-weather seal-watching (a late fall thing here), shoreline leaf-peeping, and monitoring of the southern migration of the "penis boats" ("Mine's bigger than yours!"). But some other things are happening in the real world--it's time.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page