Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Swap Meet
 C25 trailer for sale on ebay
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Member Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/30/2015 :  14:06:53  Show Profile
Nice looking trailer for swing or wing keel - located in Jacksonville, Fla - Reserve has not been met yet. - I just happened to see it on ebay. No personal interest. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sailboat-Trailer-Catalina-25-Galvanized-/191676910271?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2ca0d58abf&item=191676910271

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2015 :  18:21:19  Show Profile
Our SK sits on 2x's running the length of the hull. I'm sure others use pedestals but I've never seen a SK on pedestals, is this common? I had always thought the SK's should have some hull support and the weight of the boat shouldn't be supported solely by the keel trunk. Am I way off base?

Kyle
'86 SR/SK/Dinette #5284 "Anodyne"
In the barn where we found her...
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2015 :  19:18:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kper

Our SK sits on 2x's running the length of the hull. I'm sure others use pedestals but I've never seen a SK on pedestals, is this common? I had always thought the SK's should have some hull support and the weight of the boat shouldn't be supported solely by the keel trunk. Am I way off base?

My C25 was a fin keel, but I think the general principles are the same. The weight of the keel, whether the boat has a swing keel or fin keel, is carried by a keel support. When the boat is loaded on the trailer, the keel should be lowered onto the keel support. Only the weight of the hull is carried by the upright supports. My trailer was an EZ Loader. The boat wasn't supported by pads. It was supported by rollers like the ones in this link. https://static.visionamp.org/rubix/20150618/800_7d40483de05221b060eec5bcf4b70223fd0d7d75.jpg They provided ample support for the boat.

When my 13,000 lb C&C 35 is stored on the hard, the keel is set on wooden planks on the ground, and the hull is supported by six jackstands, each of which has a plywood board about 12" X 12".

Some trailers use roller-type supports, some use 12 X 12 pads and some use planks that run most of the length of the hull. Those three types of trailers are all commonly in use, and all seem to be perfectly satisfactory.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2015 :  11:27:00  Show Profile
My trailer was made for an 82' C25 by Loadmaster. It has bunks and not pads. They told me if I want a float on trailer that bunks are what I want and it works great. The keel on the other hand is a swinger and I was told that the wait of the boat is NOT to be put on the keel as typical for other hulls. The front of the keel should be off the trailer and the rear of the keel lowered to the trailer. Mine was set up so the front of the keel is about 2 inches off the trailer. It works for me.

Wes,

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2015 :  16:27:03  Show Profile
Wes has it right. The hull of a fin or wing is primarily supported by the keel, and other supports mostly just keep it upright. Thus small pads or rollers are fine. The hull for the swinger is not supported by the keel, so larger bunks are better. The swing keel is then lowered to a support pad so its weight is not supported by the lifting mechanism as it bounces down the road.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2015 :  17:29:38  Show Profile
Check "New Trailer" in "Projects Gallery". Bunks provide better load distribution; wobble rollers make dry loading and unloading easy, handy at some ramps. Wobble rollers center the boat on loading, also nice. Different trailers and trade offs for different needs, none are best.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2015 :  18:25:45  Show Profile
I have always shy'ed away from rollers thinking they placed too much weight on such small points of contact. Again, nothing scientific or proven, just my opinion. I prefer pads for ease of hull maintenance but I think I'll stick with my bunks if I end up with a new trailer.

Kyle
'86 SR/SK/Dinette #5284 "Anodyne"
In the barn where we found her...
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2015 :  10:47:29  Show Profile
When you've got 64 rollers 3" wide, it distributes fairly well. The real problem with them comes when they all need to be replaced. Expensive and time consuming.

1989 C-25 TR/WK #5894
Miss Behavin'
Sittin' in LCYC on Canyon Lake, Texas
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2015 :  16:40:37  Show Profile
For the few times I hauled out, for bottom maintenance, I used a C25 fin keel trailer to pull my swinger. Never had a problem with it. The six pads held the hull easily and I lowered the swing keel to the board on the trailer frame. BTW, the higher setting needed for the fin made bottom work on my boat a lot easier!
Caveat: I never tried to travel with the boat during the 5 years I owned her.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2015 :  17:06:48  Show Profile
A roller trailer makes it easy to paint the bottom. First, paint everything except what's under the rollers. Then roll the boat back far enough to expose the area that was under the rollers. Paint it. Let it dry. Then roll it back in place. Moving it each way takes less than a minute.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2015 :  12:22:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

...roll the boat back far enough to expose the area that was under the rollers...
But make sure the tongue won't lift as the weight shifts back.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2015 :  17:12:39  Show Profile
I put jack stands under the aft end of the trailer and leave it attached to the vehicle

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2015 :  17:35:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave5041

I put jack stands under the aft end of the trailer and leave it attached to the vehicle

I left the trailer attached to the vehicle also, but didn't use jack stands. I only had to move the boat about 12-14 inches to paint under the rollers, and, on a tandem axle trailer, that didn't affect the balance of the trailer enough to be a problem.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2015 :  03:22:34  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
with pads i paint everything except under the pads. then lower pads one at a time to paint under them. a little time consuming, but works fine.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

glen
Captain

Members Avatar

359 Posts

Response Posted - 09/24/2015 :  11:50:02  Show Profile
quote:

A roller trailer makes it easy to paint the bottom. First, paint everything except what's under the rollers. Then roll the boat back far enough to expose the area that was under the rollers. Paint it. Let it dry. Then roll it back in place. Moving it each way takes less than a minute.

What method do you use to roll it back. I have the SK with a roller trailer, dam if I can move it without a winch.
PS: I have trailered my boat from Michigan to Florida and back without any concerns.
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 09/24/2015 :  12:55:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by glen

quote:

What method do you use to roll it back. I have the SK with a roller trailer, dam if I can move it without a winch.
PS: I have trailered my boat from Michigan to Florida and back without any concerns.

To roll the boat back, I put about 12" of slack in the cable that attaches the bow eye of the boat to the trailer. I also attached an additional safety line to the bow eye, and gave it the same amount of slack. Then, I'd get the whole rig moving backwards at 1-2 mph and jab the brakes slightly. You don't have to get going very fast or jab the brakes very hard. The boat will move a few inches easily on the roller trailer.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

glen
Captain

Members Avatar

359 Posts

Response Posted - 09/25/2015 :  07:18:45  Show Profile
Thanks Steve
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page