Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Waning days... Are the best days
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/30/2015 :  06:28:59  Show Profile
For us northies, there are a handful of weekends of good weather left for sailing. I usually keep Passage in until the end of October, but I find the majority of fall sailing takes place between Labor Day and Columbus Day (Oct 12). So all told, that's about seven weeks to go (your mileage will vary).
I always like to do overnights in the fall, maybe 15-20 miles each way. I'm fortunate that there are a lot of nice gunkholes and bays within that scope nearby.
Yesterday my son and his gf came along for a whole days sail about 15 miles east for lunch then back. We had perfect winds all day - SSE all morning, then shifting to SSW in the afternoon. Between 7-10kts. The sea state was flat going out, then began building. On the way back we were splashed several time by big soakers! Perfect timing for a splash - it was getting warm.
We lunched in Branford harbor's anchorage area - a very busy port on an August Saturday. But a very tricky channel to navigate with large granite rocks with breaking waves greeting you on both sides of the entrance. See N41°15' x W72°56' for approx location. We dodged them all thankfully.
Next weekend maybe Norwalk Islands - busy but we've got three days for Labor Day weekend, maybe even a short day on Friday - we'll see.
Enjoy it! This is the best time of the year 'round these parts anyhoo

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 08/30/2015 06:30:50

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2015 :  14:13:10  Show Profile
Yeah Bruce...just a few weeks...glad you had a good trip, we're looking forward to an overnighter over Labor Day...

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2015 :  16:31:39  Show Profile
In our neck of the woods this weekend was one of the best all season -- especially Sat, which was an extraordinarily low humidity day with light but relatively consistent winds -- a real beauty. Most of September provides the ideal combination: wind/dryness/warm (not hot) weather. Bruce: enjoy them ALL !!!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2015 :  05:10:31  Show Profile
Great time of year. Thanks for sharing.

Soon it will be cool enough here to spend some overnights.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2015 :  18:50:33  Show Profile
I've been thinking about our TX, CA, TN and FL members and friends. And how the Dawg Days are past and the beauty days are ahead... Us Yankees are getting ready for brisk conditions and y'all'r getting ready for temperate times.
This weekend we've got plans for friends aboard - live ballast to counter strong breezes and long days. But with a growing El Niño I'm planning on hot times up North for some time to come. This last week of Summer we'll see dry weather in the 80s & 90s and more to come. Let us know your plans and share you pix. The colors of Fall are the rewards of the season.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page