Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Climbing the mast
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blanik
Navigator

Member Avatar

Canada
210 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/10/2015 :  20:38:08  Show Profile
Hi all, i redone my mast (wiring and nav lights) 3 years ago, i used the Dr Led White Festoon Star light, the big bulky barrel one with chips and circuitry inside (probably an auto-polarity inverter), when i installed it, i used dielectric grease to protect the metal parts from oxidizing and all, it worked very well for two years, very bright and all but last year it started to act weird, when i turned it on it would take a couple of seconds to light, this year it take 30 second to light up but once lighted it is very dim, barely discernable.

I ordered a new led (the standard Dr Led Festoon this time) and a new light casing (while being up there might as well replace the clear part)

now my problem is to get up there, i know our masts aren't that high but i still have to get there, i only have the mainsheet halyard i can use, i was thinking of using Prusik knots on the tightened halyard with a safety harness wrapped twice around the mast in case of a failure, what would you do?

and also; would a weight of 175-200 pounds at the top of the mast could pull down the mast horizontal if it was done on the lake?

1984 C25 FK/SR #4593
Lake Champlain

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2015 :  03:13:53  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I bought a Mast Mate for climbing the mast. It is rugged webbing loops that use sail/mast slugs threaded up the mast by hoisting the jib or mast halyard. The loops form steps and you can climb the mast that way. I weigh over 200# and it can easily support me, however, I am a bit queasy going past the steaming light (mid-way) not because of the boat tipping just seems precarious to me....and figure I have better things to do with my life than climb up to the tippy top.

As far as concern over tipping when at the top, all I can say is a few years ago, I had Atlantic Riggers out of Annapolis come down and change my standing rigging. The rigging was made up in the shop and then the rigger used a bosun's seat hooked up to the halyard to raise himself to the top. He changed all the rigging that way. He lowered my CDI furler off the forestay and then reconnected it on the finger slip/dock before climbing up again and installing the new stay. The boat hardly moved side to side while he did the work. he indicated it was okay to install with mast up on my boat but mostly on smaller boats he would drop the mast. Then again, the weather conditions were perfect and the guy was a professional.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 08/11/2015 03:14:31
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2015 :  04:11:38  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
I have the bridge rig setup as described in the technical tips. Easier to just drop the mast to the bow pulpit over the dock and fix it.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2015 :  04:27:02  Show Profile
Making an a-frame and lowering the mast would be my advice. Of course there are numerous threads on how to do that. And once you have the equipment you can lower the mast for any other issue when needed.

On my new boat I purchased an ATN Mastclimber. They are pricey, but works and feels safe. I made a few ascents/descents to progressively higher points before climbing all the way to the masthead. The admiral used the spinnaker halyard as a safety line, but you can climb solo. To use one on a C25 you might need to run a larger diameter line to the top. The directions claim 3/8" line as the minimum.

Video of mastclimber in use:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eoy6PrjJW0o

If you do go this route, some advice, make sure you wear gloves, have all tools you need and bring a couple of bottles of water. It's slightly more of a workout than the video shows.......

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

blanik
Navigator

Members Avatar

Canada
210 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2015 :  07:05:23  Show Profile
i thought about lowering the mast but decided not to so, last time i did, i broke my furler (a forward lowering, i won't be doing that again! i was lucky to be able to repair the furler) and the rigging is perfectly tuned, it's not worth the trouble juste for an anchor light imho.

i have a bosun's chair but it's old and was stored in a humid environnement so i don't trust it, i'd prefer something i can climb, a rope ladder would be great but they're expensive for a single use #128533;

1984 C25 FK/SR #4593
Lake Champlain

Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2015 :  12:49:48  Show Profile
I have never understood why anyone would spend 2 hours+ dropping and raising a C25 mast (especially on a TR) when you can do a masthead job in a 1/2hr in a bosun's chair.
I have been to the masthead several times and it is really no big deal unless you are petrified of heights. It matters not if you are 200lbs - the boat is not going to flip.
I've said it before - if Dame Ellen can go to a 100' high masthead 4 times while in the Southern Ocean and single-handing, surely we are brave enough to go 30' high while firmly secured in the slip...
Just my 2c.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page