Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Keel Trunk Damage - The Repair (Updated)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jduck00
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/07/2015 :  13:57:47  Show Profile
Hi Fellows,

I'm starting a new thread for the repairs. Its a follow up to this one. http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29330

Is started cutting into the boat and getting to the leak was a whole lot tougher than actually getting the patch on. I've cut away a whole lot more than necessary, but you guys know me. Its not going back stock. I've got a structural refit planned when I haul her out this winter and need that much cut out for the work. Figured I would go ahead and cut it to make sure I exposed the leak. The way the water was dripping, it looked like it was leaking much lower than it actually was.

I've started getting the patch put on. I've got a good start at 4 layers and need to do a little cleaning up around the top and then it will be time for another 10 layers or so. I'm using a heavy 10oz cloth for the patch. Just good enough to sail is the name of the game until winter.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850

Edited by - jduck00 on 01/17/2016 10:04:18

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 08/08/2015 :  07:25:21  Show Profile
I know it is a lot of work but doing right is worth it in the long run. Looks good so far. Keep us in the loop please.

Wes

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI
Go to Top of Page

glen
Captain

Members Avatar

359 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2015 :  11:20:12  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by WesAllen

I know it is a lot of work but doing right is worth it in the long run. Looks good so far. Keep us in the loop please.

Wes

WOW This reminds me of when I did the same thing years ago. I have a tip on putting it all back together.

I can do structural glass work, but to make it look pretty is a different thing entirely. When the structural work on my 25 was finished and I started putting back the liner. I reused the original pieces, made them sound and strong then I covered my ugly patch with ¼” teak plywood. That was over 20 years ago, and it still looks great
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2016 :  10:03:43  Show Profile
I finally got this fixed. Not completely pretty yet, but very structurally sound. I could have probably stopped the repair once I got it to hold water. It would have been as strong as factory, but you all know that's not me.

I used a combination of medium and heavy cloth. I added a 1/4" to both sides of the trunk down to the hull on both sides. The leading edge of the trunk was built out to a total of 3/4" before the oak was added. The top of the keel trunk, under the oak blocking, was built up 1/2" and wrapped around down to the hull. I used large pieces of cloth for this work. Made getting the bends tough, but added to the overall structural integrity.

Getting down to the fiberglass and getting it cleaned up was the hardest part of the project. A sharp wood chisel goes a long way. A lot of grinding, sanding, bleeding, and cursing was involved.

At this point, I'm done with glass for the most part. I added oak blocking... well just because I could.

Here is the last of the structural glass. I wrapped the oak in 1/4" of glass and then started building everything back up.

I love two part foam.

I used an old bread knife and the sander to get it all cut to the shape I wanted. At this point, any glass on top of the foam is decorative. Well, maybe not the floor, but everything else is.

I added roughly a 1/4" of glass to floor areas and around 3/16" to the vertical parts. As always, getting it to look good is harder than the structural work, where function over rides form. And no, I haven't gelcoated it yet. I'm sure I will at some time in the future, but don't know when. This isn't even the ugliest part of the boat.

I'm not thrilled that I had to do the project, but given that I was forced into it, I think it turned out well. The boat definitely feels more solid now. This not a project I would ever take on unless, as in my case, the boat was slowly sinking. It made a mess out of everything. Took two solid days of cleaning to get the boat back to normal.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2016 :  13:06:15  Show Profile
A very high five for a job well done. IMHO it looks great and very strong. Again good job.

P.S. Thanks for all the pics.

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI

Edited by - WesAllen on 01/17/2016 13:07:21
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2016 :  17:22:19  Show Profile
Teak Trim Teak Trim Never pass up a chance to use affordable teak scraps to pretty up a repair, (led lights peeking out of teak slats). You can find lots of teak on ebay. Nice job on the repair.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/21/2016 :  09:04:31  Show Profile
Very nice job! I will say that you made me glad I have a wing keel

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 01/21/2016 :  11:35:40  Show Profile
I agree. When I shop for a newer boat years from now, it will be a wing. I'm done with swingers. Although, this one did make it 35 years before cracking. I don't see it ever having problems again.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 01/21/2016 :  21:47:52  Show Profile
Good thing Pearl is only 33

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 01/22/2016 :  06:19:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jduck00

I agree. When I shop for a newer boat years from now, it will be a wing. I'm done with swingers. Although, this one did make it 35 years before cracking. I don't see it ever having problems again.

I'm just glad I don't have to worry about keel bolts!!! (haha, I kid)

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/22/2016 :  08:48:25  Show Profile
quote:
I'm just glad I don't have to worry about keel bolts!!!

Yea I agree, Just one pivot pin and one small 3/8" clevis pin VS 6 ( I think) 1/2" SS bolts along with 5200....mmmm

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page