Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 New Motor Sugestions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slaedlein
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
51 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/06/2015 :  18:23:07  Show Profile
I have grown tired of the constant trips to the motor shop to get my Yamaha 15hp fixed and am looking for suggestions on a good model to put on my 250 WB. I find the 15hp to be heavy and more power than needed as i rarely get it much above idle.

Scott
HuBeStu
1997 WB
Hull# 250

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2015 :  00:39:26  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
If I were sailing mostly on lakes or you have to take it out of the boat every time, I would buy just 5HP. Anything above 8HP will hot give you more knots.

I have 8HP on my 21footer just because it's 2cylinder which is much quiet because of added suspension on longer motor trips (canal sailing). Another advantage is that it has bigger prop so the reactions are much faster (reversing/stopping).

Dalpol Phobos 21, 2013, Sole Mio, hull #27, current adventures - We sail Phobos 21

PO of Catalina C25, 1978, High Anxiety, hull #701, SR, FK, L-dinette, inboard diesel Volvo Penta MD2010C w/saildrive - more info
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2015 :  09:22:53  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
I just completed a week trip in conjunction with three other boats from my home waters. Of the four boats, two were C250s.

My boat is a C250wk and has a Honda 9.9
SailAway has a C250wb and has a Mercury 9.9

Throughout the week it was very noticeable that I could motor at a significantly higher speed than SailAway. I started to try to figure out the differences. The biggest thing I noticed is that I have a four blade prop and he has a three blade prop. So, that is something to consider.

Also, during this trip, we (just my boat) motored into some fairly rough stuff. The winds were reported to be gusting to 30 knots. They were definitely sustained in the low to mid 20s. Waves were around 4ft. We motored directly into a head wind for two hours and my Honda 9.9 performed admirably.

David Crosby "Small World"
'02 C250 WK #614
Go to Top of Page

zebra50
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
408 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2015 :  12:33:34  Show Profile
I have a 9.8 long shaft Tohatsu that works great. I opted for the electric start, and it has connection to the battery to charge while it is running. Also connected to my pedestal for forward, reverse, and speed. Found that I needed the long shaft after a couple of years with original OB that was short and not below the hull bottom.

Jay
Papa's Boat II
250WB #370
Blog:http://zebra50-boilingpoint.blogspot.com

Edited by - zebra50 on 08/13/2015 08:41:47
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2015 :  09:27:36  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Except for a few isolated cases, you will find that most people like the outboards they have. I have a Honda 9.9 and I have had it since Jan'06 and it runs flawlessly. Many like a manual choke but this outboard has an automatic choke that I believe adjusts electronically. bottom line is I pay it no mind and outboard runs without a hitch. The Honda is a heavy outboard it also has the highest amp charger of any outboard in it's horsepower range, though, for sailboats we generally only charge for short times of no consequence when departing and entering the marina. I also noticed that the US Coast Guard in my area also has Hondas. When they boarded me years ago, I discussed with them how they like their Hondas and they had only good things to say, though, their Hondas were way more horsepower than my 9.9.

I have heard great things said about the other brands as well. I recommend you go down to a marina that sells all or most of the major outboards you are considering and ask their engine mechanic his opinion based on the outboards he works on as to what he would recommend - See if he has any differing opinions from the onesey, twosey comments you have from us that have perhaps only a one or two outboard experience.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2015 :  09:34:08  Show Profile
Are you on Lake Michigan? That would not be one of the lakes Thomas is thinking of...

I've mentioned this before, but the Honda 8 is the same engine as the Honda 9.9, with different cam timing and a few "boat units" less cost. A Honda rep told me the 8 is cammed for more torque at lower RPMs, and the 9.9 for more HP at high RPMs--thus the 8 is the better choice, according to him, for a heavy sailboat. We had one on our C-25, and it stopped the boat like running into a pillow.

The Tohatsu has served many people well and is a little lighter, while the Honda alternator puts out more amps, and I suspect the "high-thrust" Honda (4 blades with less pitch) starts and stops a big boat better around the dock. I'm not sure how they compare for being able to turn on the C-250 transom, where clearance is somewhat limited. Some folks have resolved that by adding a bracket to the transom.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2015 :  10:06:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

...I've mentioned this before, but the Honda 8 is the same engine as the Honda 9.9, with different cam timing and a few "boat units" less cost...

This is true if he's looking at brand new Hondas. However, in the prior generation (BFxxA) the 8 was a smaller power head, and the 9.9 (BF9.9A) and 15 (BF15A) were "twins." This is only relevant if he is looking at used motors.

quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

...I'm not sure how they compare for being able to turn on the C-250 transom, where clearance is somewhat limited...

FWIW, my 15HP BF15A model mounted directly on the transom can fully rotate in both directions with the tiller/throttle vertical. I have a hard link to steer it with the rudder. But in order to rotate, it has to be mounted in exactly the right place so that it has about 1/4" clearance on the sides. The shift lever rubs ever so gently when the motor is turned to port, but it does not affect operation.

More pics here: http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=20807&whichpage=3

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 08/13/2015 10:07:53
Go to Top of Page

Albanker
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Response Posted - 08/28/2015 :  19:33:57  Show Profile
I have the same tiller type 15 hp Honda as Rick on Take Five on my 2002 WK250 with wheel. I have crimped and replaced a few shift cables (expensive)so I have disconnected shift from wheel and just operate by reaching down to shift. Anybody have a better solution? The problem is I want to raise the motor to the highest position so it doesn't drag in the water when on port tack. I think a non tiller newer 9.9 hp could be connected to a wheel without the crimping problem but this motor does run well???
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 08/28/2015 :  21:40:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Albanker

I have the same tiller type 15 hp Honda as Rick on Take Five on my 2002 WK250 with wheel. I have crimped and replaced a few shift cables (expensive)so I have disconnected shift from wheel and just operate by reaching down to shift. Anybody have a better solution? The problem is I want to raise the motor to the highest position so it doesn't drag in the water when on port tack. I think a non tiller newer 9.9 hp could be connected to a wheel without the crimping problem but this motor does run well???

The wheel mounted throttle and shift are relatively rare on C250s. The problem that you mention does highlight one of the unexpected consequences of more complexity in the gear.

When I first got my boat I was all gung-ho to add throttle and shift at the pedestal. I thought that it would be the only way to reach the shift lever from the helm. After awhile, I realized that this could be accomplished easily by sitting astride the wheel on the starboard side when docking. I put my right leg forward of the wheel, left leg aft, steer with my right hand, and operate throttle and shift lever with my left.

I know that this does not solve your problem, but others here who may be considering the upgrade may want to try this first. It works for me, but YMMV.

Speaking of unintended consequences of complexity, my hard link did cause some problems with crimping of my gas line when turning to starboard. I solved the problem by routing the gas line up over the backrest bracket then down to the outboard:

I post this here for the benefit of others who may be considering a hard or soft link that causes the motor to rotate, since the potential may exist to kink the gas line.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 08/28/2015 21:45:52
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page