Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Need Help - Water Leak and Need Advice
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2015 :  05:24:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave5041

...The volcano was bad idea of convenience to begin with.

What do you mean by that?
As far as sealant, I don't want anything permanent after noticing wear on my old tube. What is a good sealant that wod work in this application?

Kyle
'86 SR/SK/Dinette #5284 "Anodyne"
In the barn where we found her...
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2015 :  06:58:21  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Could you just re-drill the new tube to match the old and JBWeld the original holes in the new tube?

I would guess if anything was to fail due to wear and tear, it would be the turning ball, so being able to replace that in the future after you have rebuilt the top of the volcano, then having the pin in the original position would be helpful.

paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015
Go to Top of Page

Merrick
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
192 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2015 :  16:43:15  Show Profile
I think Dave is saying epoxy and 5200 are meant to be permanent so it would be very difficult to replace the tube again in the future. True point. The "volcano" is probably not the best engineered system that Cavalier came up with, "convenient"to manufacture cheaply I suppose. But it basically works. My boat is 34 years old and although I have replaced the turning ball the tube and volcano appear to be original. Since your fiberglass was cracked and you have pulled the tube I believe you will have to glass it somewhat, epoxy or not. But you can see what you've got and decide what will work.

1981 #2555 "Aero"
sk/sr
Coosaw Island, SC
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2015 :  17:02:01  Show Profile
With so many of us having the turning ball at the top I can't help but wonder what is up with CD moving the hole down.

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2015 :  18:03:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by WesAllen

With so many of us having the turning ball at the top I can't help but wonder what is up with CD moving the hole down.

I called the tech line on this and they seemed stumped that my turning ball was at the top. He said he has never heard of one in that position. I think what I'll do when the new tube gets here is compare it to the old one I took out and decide what to do. I prefer the ball at the top for ease of maintenance.

The admiral is already considering the season over since we've spent all spring and summer working on it on the trailer so I may travel to a recommended machine shop, give them the new one and the old one (new for dimensions and old for hole location) then see if I can return the new one or suck it up and consider this a learning experience - this whole swing keel is new to me for sure. I'm hoping the pivot pin is in as good as condition at the the lifting hardware was.

Still looking for sealant suggestions, I'm not overly excited about making it permanent but, maybe that was the intention when it was built.

Thanks everyone, you folks have done more for the admiral and I over the last year than we can thank you all for. We certainly need to renew that membership.

Kyle
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2015 :  06:11:31  Show Profile
This is a photo that I copied. The original photo was taken by Frank Hopper. You can see that the turning ball is at the top of the tube.

And this photo from this very thread shows the turning ball at the top of the tube. So I'm not sure what is the correct position. But I seem to remember that my turning ball was also at the top of the tube:

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2015 :  06:41:44  Show Profile
quote:
I called the tech line on this and they seemed stumped that my turning ball was at the top. He said he has never heard of one in that position.

You should E-Mail them the photos that DavyJ posted.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2015 :  07:09:50  Show Profile
I did some more digging in my collection of photos and found this, a photo from the manual, which seems to contradict the photos above?????

The drawing seems to indicate that the turning ball is at the center point of the tube????

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2015 :  02:40:48  Show Profile
Here's the plan, a former machinist friend of mine is going to silver solder the holes in the new tube. Now I have to decide whether I'm going to have him pre drill the new pin holes or install the tube and then drill them.

Kyle

Edited by - Kper on 08/12/2015 02:41:31
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2015 :  07:02:14  Show Profile
Final plan for anyone who cares, I'll be installing the tube and drilling a hole in one side. Then, using the ball as a guide supported by the drill bit to ensure free movement of the ball, drill the other side of the tube.
Hopefully she'll be in the water this weekend.

Kyle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2015 :  07:56:48  Show Profile
We care... Question..Both the old tube and the new tube are the same length?

Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2015 :  08:29:59  Show Profile
Scott, I received the new tube last night and the old tube is still being held hostage in the boat by the lift cable so I haven't done a side-by-side comparison. I can tell you they look the same length by memory but I can also say the hole in the new tube is probably an inch or two lower than the old tube for sure. I'm certain enough to have given it to my friend this morning to fill the holes. I also discovered through my friend that I could have purchased the exact tube, pre-threaded but without the pin hole, through McMaster-Carr for $18. Oh well, I was under the gun to get this thing floating.

By the way, the "anyone who cares" line wasn't a slam on anyone, it's just not a repair that many people have to do so I imagine interest is low.

Kyle
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2015 :  08:55:51  Show Profile
I might add that I have a bad habit of over analyzing just about every project and sealing this tube into the hull is no different.

With that said, unless I hear otherwise I think I am going to Life Caulk the threads and possibly the lower portion of the tube. Then at the top, about the last half inch or so, I am considering 5200. I consider the top inch or so sacrificial so if I had to remove the tube I would simply cut the top half inch off and be able to remove it. I know I should never have to remove the tube again, but I should have never had to remove this one, either.

Thoughts?

Kyle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2015 :  15:50:19  Show Profile
I have a wing keel so I don't know much about the lifting mechanism. I asked if the tubes were the same length thinking that maybe the new tube has the ball in the same place as the old tube but has extra tube length above the ball. I'm just curious as to why they are different. I'm also interested because I'm the type of guy that has to take everything apart just to see how it ticks. I'm also thinking that maybe the new tube with the ball lower is some sort of improved version. Maybe it gets the cable on a better angle or something.Maybe with the ball lower it stops the cable from rubbing on the tube. Maybe they extended the tube to give you more clamping area for the hose. Maybe now I'm overthinking this

Edited by - islander on 08/12/2015 16:06:53
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2015 :  17:32:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

...Maybe now I'm overthinking this

I already have that base covered.

Kyle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page