Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 CDI Furler Cleats
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ct95949
Captain

Member Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/12/2015 :  09:43:58  Show Profile
I would like to add a cleat to my furler drum as shown in the picture below. I only have one shackle on my drum (2nd pic.) which is fine for tying off the tack but I'd like a cleat to tie off the halyard. I'm not sure how to fasten one though, machine screws all the way through the drum and foil or try to tap threads with short screws into just the drum? Has anyone done this? The CDI parts sheet doesn't offer these so they must not have been a factory option. There are a pair of shallow holes on each side of the drum which is where the cleats are mounted in the first pic. Thanks, Craig.

'90 SR/WK #6017. PO of '79 SR/SK.

mdidomenico
1st Mate

Members Avatar

71 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2015 :  15:06:26  Show Profile
seems odd that your furler doesn't have a cleat. i have the same one and the screws don't go all the way through for the single cleat. the only item that goes all the way through is the pin that the foil sits on top off. if you don't have a cleat on the drum how do/would tie off the halyard at all?
Go to Top of Page

ct95949
Captain

Members Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2015 :  15:30:04  Show Profile
Exactly. The owners manual shows the tack 'lashing' going through the second slot in the drum but I don't see how that will work. I need another shackle on the top of the drum, like I've seen on many other FF4 pics, or a cleat on the side which I believe came on older models. I don't think I should be drilling through the foil so how is the cleat attached to the side? Are there threads in the plastic? Is the cleat attached where the shallow holes are cast in my second photo? Thanks, Craig.

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2015 :  16:02:04  Show Profile
Possibly can you call CDI and inquire about adding a second cleat or finding out if the first cleat is bolted or screwed on. You could then ask about the shallow holes. Are the shallow holes the same distance apart as the first cleat screws?

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

ct95949
Captain

Members Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2015 :  17:35:52  Show Profile
I'm going to call CDI tomorrow morning. I don't have any cleat to compare to, only the single shackle at the top of the drum. I was hoping someone with a cleat on an FF4 could tell me how it's attached but maybe those models are kind of rare. Here's a link to Sailrite showing a new FF4 with a cleat though they don't show it in the parts diagram.
http://www.sailrite.com/CDI-Furler-Flexible-FF4-With-Ball-Bearings#description

Go to Top of Page

mdidomenico
1st Mate

Members Avatar

71 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2015 :  15:43:32  Show Profile
I thought i had a closeup picture of my furler at home, but i don't see one. if you don't get an answer by this weekend, i'll take some closeups of my furler while i'm down there.
Go to Top of Page

mdidomenico
1st Mate

Members Avatar

71 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2015 :  09:53:32  Show Profile
on the off chance you haven't gotten any info back from cdi. here's how mine are attached. it would seem they are just threaded into the plastic housing of the drum with big screws. there don't seem to be any nuts on the inside.

only one side of my drum has a cleat, but the other side has holes for it. i didn't know that it could have two cleats, though i'm not sure why you would need two. i might tap mine and put a cleat on just cause

https://goo.gl/photos/7SqkGyPFx6xV3WTM9
Go to Top of Page

ct95949
Captain

Members Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2015 :  13:57:21  Show Profile
Thanks for the pics. I did get in touch with CDI and they said some versions of FF4's did come with cleats and the plastic drum could be drilled and tapped to accept machine screws. They suggested putting the cleat below the foil but as long as the screws are not to long I should be able to use the holes that they put in the upper part of the drum. They said 1/4" but I think I'll use #10 screws.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page