Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Lee helm
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

F16cla1
Deckhand

Member Avatar

8 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/10/2015 :  17:12:18  Show Profile
My wife and I just bought a catalina 25 and we noticed that it has significant lee helm when sailing. we were wondering if this was common with catalina 25s. We would like the boat to have a slight weather helm and would like suggestions on how to make adjustments to the boat, if that is the source of the problem. My wife is the sailing expert and said on most boats if you let the tiller go it will turn in to the wind. The boat did have some work done to it before we bought it. I know 25s have an unbalanced rudder. so potentially this was not replaced and is the source of the problem? Any info would be great.

Thanks

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2015 :  17:20:29  Show Profile
To correct lee helm, tilt the mast aft. That requires you to unscrew the turnbuckle on the forestay, adjust the turnbuckle on the backstay a little tighter to take up the resultant slack, and adjust the upper and lower shrouds accordingly.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2015 :  18:33:51  Show Profile
What Steve said. The more common problem. with the opposite answer, is getting rid of excess weather helm.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2015 :  09:07:31  Show Profile
Corresponding to Steve's advice, I found that setting my mast rake so that the main halyard hung I think about 4-5" aft of the mast at the boom gave me the ideal light weather helm in "normal" conditions. Of course things change somewhat in "abnormal" conditions--generally toward more weather helm. Using the halyard (sometimes attaching something heavy helps), what is the fore-aft rake on your mast?

The rudder isn't the issue--a balanced rudder reduces the effort to correct for weather or lee helm, but it doesn't create or eliminate weather helm--just as power steering in a car doesn't solve an alignment problem.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

F16cla1
Deckhand

Members Avatar

8 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2015 :  17:39:04  Show Profile
Awesome advice!! My wife and I will check our fore-aft and try some adjustments.
Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2015 :  20:32:52  Show Profile
Almost always learn something valuable when I log into this forum. In this case, the information about trimming for lee and weather helm is especially helpful.

Thanks to Steve and Dave for the input.

Sailor Jerry
C-25 "Sea Song"
1978, SK, Std.
Pepin, WI
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page