Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Bottom Job - Paint Color?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Phredde
Navigator

Member Avatar

125 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/06/2015 :  16:38:56  Show Profile
Took Phredde in for a long over-due bottom job. They hauled her today and are asking me what color I want the bottom. I hadn't really thought about that. I've read where with two coats it is useful to have two different color paints to assess the paint wear. Any advice/preferences? It was painted black, but not sure how much of that is left.

Phredde
Catalina 25
San Francisco

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2015 :  17:05:03  Show Profile
If you're using an ablative paint, two colors can be helpful. I use a self polishing paint on mine, red over black. If I see black peeking through its time for a paint job.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2015 :  17:37:53  Show Profile
It depends on how you intend to use the boat. I have one boat with ablative paint that I store on the hard over the winter, and put one coat of paint on the bottom each spring. The surface coat is red and the underlying coat is blue. If I see a tinge of blue showing through, I'll put on two coats for the season. If not, I'll only put on one coat.

I have another boat that has hard racing paint on it. It stays in the water all year around, and I have it scrubbed regularly by a diver. He will tell me when the bottom paint is getting thin. There's no point in me putting two different colors on that boat, because I will never see the bottom until I haul it out for fresh antifouling paint.

Some people keep their boat in year around and plan to repaint the bottom only after 3 years or more, when the bottom gets really foul. There's no point in putting two different colors on their boat.

Whether you should apply two colors depends on how you plan to use the boat.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Phredde
Navigator

Members Avatar

125 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2015 :  18:23:04  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned that the boat is in salt water 100% of the time. And you're right it's rare for me to see more than a few inches below the waterline. Unless we are heeling way too far!

The yard rep mentioned that divers prefer a lighter color to see where to clean, but that would mean I have to hire a diver.

Maybe I will go with red this time and see how that goes.

Phredde
Catalina 25
San Francisco
Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2015 :  10:19:10  Show Profile
If you're in the water all the time here in SF you should really get a diver. It extends the life of the paint.

Stu
1986 C34 #224 "Aquavite"
Cowichan Bay, BC Maple Bay Marina
(formerly San Francisco)
(formerly C25 #2459 "Capricorn Two")
Go to Top of Page

Phredde
Navigator

Members Avatar

125 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2015 :  18:05:43  Show Profile
thanks Stu - I am sure I will be more interested in that once I pay the bill for the haul out and paint. Can I ask how often do you get it done and what do they charge?

Phredde
Catalina 25
San Francisco
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page