Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 More boom riging questions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JanS48
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/29/2015 :  22:40:53  Show Profile
Greetings all - nice to have the forum back :)

I've an 82 STD rig, Does anyone have a few pics of where (how) the boom should be attached to the mast? I see in the boom height post that the stop fitting was above the boom? is that correct? also approx. how far from the mast along the boom should the boom-vang bail be? mine appears too far away from the mast but I'm not sure.
And approx. how far above the mast head should the boom be?
To be clear, mine is still on the slider.

Thanks in advance.
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2015 :  07:44:17  Show Profile
The boom's gooseneck slider remains below the opening in the "kerf" (mast slot), and is generally held there by a downhaul line to a cleat in the kerf near the base of the mast. A track "stopper" is generally used above the opening to keep the sail's slugs from falling out when the sail is dropped or reefed. I put a stopper below the gooseneck to hold it up when the sail was dropped, although the boom liked to kick it downwards over time. I also installed mast gate plates (from Catalina Direct) to contain the slugs and let them drop all the way to the boom.

The height of the boom above the mast base (the "head" is the top) depends on the sail--at full hoist the boom should be keeping the luff of the sail fairly tight, which can be done by winching or pulling on the halyard, or by pushing down on the boom as you cleat the downhaul. I left the downhaul cleated at a length where I could tension the luff with the halyard from the cockpit--some people sit on the boom and then cleat the downhaul.

The rule of thumb is the vang should be about 45 degrees from the mast and boom. Further out on the boom, it has less downward force and puts unnecessary pressure on the gooseneck. Closer in it tends to pull down more on the luff than on the leech of the sail, so is less effective (and almost redundant with the boom downhaul).

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/30/2015 07:46:49
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2015 :  14:38:55  Show Profile
The boom vang should form a 90 deg triangle when viewed from the side so the distance from the deck attachment point up to the bottom of the boom will be the same distance measured from the mast out along the boom to the vang attachment point.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2015 :  18:33:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

The boom vang should form a 90 deg triangle when viewed from the side so the distance from the deck attachment point up to the bottom of the boom will be the same distance measured from the mast out along the boom to the vang attachment point.

...another way of describing a 45 deg. vang.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2015 :  21:26:02  Show Profile
Thanks guys this is a big help. As you can tell, I got this boat as a 'needs everything' kit. I'm close to launching now. Should be fun I've never sailed a Catalina 25.
Thanks again.
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/01/2015 :  07:21:44  Show Profile
BTW, in case the downhaul isn't already there and it isn't clear, a simple way to attach it to the gooseneck is to put the line (probably 1/4") through the hole at the bottom of the casting and tie a half-hitch stopper knot.

I recall you've sailed something smaller... The C-25 is very conventional, forgiving, and performs nicely. (First time out, remember: The jib sheets go above the lifelines and outside of the shrouds. ) Best of luck!

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page