Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Connecting RG8X coax cable
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/29/2015 :  08:39:41  Show Profile
I have a brown paper bag over my head as I write this. I have the above referenced cable coming out at the base of the mast and cabin top. What connectors do I use for connecting these together? (2) PL259s and (1) PL258? I ask because I thought there would be a female version of the PL259.

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2015 :  16:51:19  Show Profile
PL259 are what you want. 1 male and 1 female. An alternative is to put a male on each wire and put a female adapter in between.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5234 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2015 :  19:48:21  Show Profile
Because of the age and condition of 25-35 year-old cable it's not a bad idea to strip the wire carefully - as you cut through the outer cover take care not to nick the shield cable wires. And note that the inner conductor is also stranded cable so again - try to prevent cutting into that. Check the directions on the connectors for what lengths to strip back the insulation and clinching or attaching the wire to the connector. Doing it right and using shrink tubing to protect the mechanical connections will result in long-lasting connections. Doing it poorly will result in connections that last a little while.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2015 :  06:37:49  Show Profile
THE REASON YOU CAN'T FIND A MALE COAX CONNECTOR IS THEY ARE NOT RECOMMENDED FOR HOOKING UP 2 COAX CABLES DUE TO EASIER WATER INTRUSION. 2 FEMALES WITH A BARREL LIKE ISLANDER SHOWS ABOVE IS THE PROPER METHOD. SINCE THIS IS GOING TO BE UNDONE FAIRLY OFTEN I WOULD JUST GREASE IT AND POSSIBLY TAPE IT. Nicking will not hurt the braid or foil shielding and I would expect a solid copper wire as center conductor. Chief, FCC lic#1890 (comm & radar)

COMPASS ROSE C250WK
Tall Mast, Wing keel
PORT CHIEF, Bodega Bay Ca.
IE,EE,FCC lic #1890
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2015 :  12:24:47  Show Profile
My connection is inside the boat. Honestly I wasn't 100% sure of my own connection but as you can see it has a male fitting on each wire with the double sided female adapter in the middle. The wire runs up through a through deck fitting.

Go to Top of Page

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 07/01/2015 :  06:35:51  Show Profile
Scott: You have the correct hook up. The outside ones are termed female and barrel is called male. Chief

COMPASS ROSE C250WK
Tall Mast, Wing keel
IE,EE,FCC lic #1890
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 07/02/2015 :  21:04:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Chief RA

Scott: You have the correct hook up. The outside ones are termed female and barrel is called male. Chief

Hmmm, those California girls must be interesting!

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2015 :  05:12:54  Show Profile
You got me on the male/female thing so why are the outside connectors listed as male?http://www.amateurradiosupplies.com/product-p/cz7500-pl-259.htm

Go to Top of Page

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2015 :  06:48:53  Show Profile
Scott: There is term confusion on these connectors. US Navy called the end units female and barrel male. This addresses the threading and most obvious male/female appearance. Later, the terms were confused some because the center wire was identified as the male and the tiny hole in each end of the barrel as female. I think this was messed up by possible foreign manufacturing and consequent labeling. So, you have the correct hookup regardless of how you call them! Have a nice 4th of July. Chief

COMPASS ROSE C250WK
Tall Mast, Wing keel
IE,EE,FCC lic #1890
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2015 :  07:27:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Chief RA

Scott: There is term confusion on these connectors. US Navy called the end units female and barrel male. This addresses the threading and most obvious male/female appearance. Later, the terms were confused some because the center wire was identified as the male and the tiny hole in each end of the barrel as female. I think this was messed up by possible foreign manufacturing and consequent labeling. So, you have the correct hookup regardless of how you call them! Have a nice 4th of July. Chief

Chief - Good explanation of the reason for the confusion. I hope my little joke above didn't offend. I had just heard the Beach Boys' "California Girls" when I posted it.

If that one didn't offend anyone, maybe this one will:

Which end does the screwing and which end gets screwed?

Sorry, I can't resist.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2015 :  12:00:17  Show Profile
Rick: You didn't offend me at all. I can take a joke but what gets me about the barrel being a female is that tiny hole looks a lot more like a male urinary hole than the other one! Another one they pulled on us with these things is the gold colored ones being better than the silver ones! Chief

COMPASS ROSE C250WK
Tall Mast, Wing keel
IE,EE,FCC lic #1890
Go to Top of Page

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2015 :  12:07:33  Show Profile
Another thing I just spotted is the RG8 connectors are not quite the same as the RG58 connectors. Shows you a guy can spend his whole life in electronics and still doesn't know squat! ha You guys have a great 4th! Chief

COMPASS ROSE C250WK
Tall Mast, Wing keel
IE,EE,FCC lic #1890
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5234 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2015 :  20:33:24  Show Profile
Devil's in the details - as usual. Not sure about all but on passage my center-conductor surprisingly was stranded and intended for soldering. Most RG6, RG58 and RG59 has a solid center-conductor.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2015 :  08:29:24  Show Profile
Bruce: You think they do this crap to just frustrate ol' Tech's/Eng. ? I thought 8 had a solid center core as well but, constant change! Of course when you date back to '58 ...........................Happy 4th of July! Chief

COMPASS ROSE C250WK
Tall Mast, Wing keel
IE,EE,FCC lic #1890
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page