Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 reefing strategy
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rdthoms
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
15 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/25/2015 :  12:15:40  Show Profile
I have a Cat25 FK/SR with 110% and 155% hank on headsails available and a single reef available on the main. What is the preferred reefing strategy? Assuming I've already got the smaller headsail installed, as winds come up what should the progression be?

A) reef main, drop headsail, drop main
B) reef main, drop main, drop headsail
C) drop headsail, reef main, drop main

Would the strategy be different if the bigger headsail was installed?

Richard
Huntsville, AL
1984 Catalina 25 SR/FK #4309

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2015 :  12:52:26  Show Profile
Generally, the main should be reefed first, then the jib should come down, and then the main should come down. When lowering sails, the jib should always be taken down before the mainsail, and the motor should be started before the mainsail is taken down. You always want to have the ability to maneuver the boat, and you can sail in any direction on the mainsail alone, but your ability to sail to windward on the jib alone is severely compromised. If you take down the mainsail before you start the engine, you will be dead in the water until it is started.

When the wind increases, the C25 mainsail, which is largely responsible for excessive heeling, becomes overpowered. The best way to depower it is to tuck in a reef. In those conditions, the mainsail provides very little driving power. It's purpose is mostly to help the boat point to windward. Most of the forward driving force comes from the jib.

Also, don't forget to secure all the hatches and cockpit lockers, and put in the hatchboards. If it's really bad, everyone not needed to handle to boat should go below and close the hatch behind them.

Also, I consider all the circumstances in deciding how to cope with the onset of heavy weather. If I'm shorthanded, and in a confined area, such as a lake or Bay, I'm more likely to start the engine and take down all sails and start motoring, instead of trying to sail through it. Handling sails alone on a wet, rolling foredeck is best avoided, IMO. If I have crew, I might choose to sail through it.

Generally, the best time to rig for heavy weather is when you first see it coming, and not after it is already here.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2015 :  11:15:24  Show Profile
Steve's right.

But going on the foredeck should be unnecessary. Rig a jib downhaul line. Sail on port tack. Heave to. The wind will be coming over your starboard bow. Lower the headsail to the deck with the downhaul, keep the downhaul tight and the jib sheets tight and the sail will stay on the deck.

Search this forum for jib downhaul for more details.

Stu
1986 C34 #224 "Aquavite"
Cowichan Bay, BC Maple Bay Marina
(formerly San Francisco)
(formerly C25 #2459 "Capricorn Two")
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2015 :  14:48:14  Show Profile
...and then consider adding a roller-furler. If the 155 is in good shape it could be converted for the furler (and even cut down to something like a 135, a more manageable size for a non-racer). The furler will change your life!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2015 :  16:12:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

...and then consider adding a roller-furler. If the 155 is in good shape it could be converted for the furler (and even cut down to something like a 135, a more manageable size for a non-racer). The furler will change your life!

Best purchase I've made for my boat! Totally changed the sailing experience for me.

Like Dave or somebody on this forum says, pull one line, go sailing, pull it again and your through sailing (or something like that)!

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 06/27/2015 16:12:53
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2015 :  18:30:37  Show Profile
Yes, having a fuller makes a huge difference. Equally, setting your main sail reefing system so it can be done easily by one is as much of a game changer. And of course, practice, practice, practice!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2015 :  20:09:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

Like Dave or somebody on this forum says, pull one line, go sailing, pull it again and your through sailing (or something like that)!
Yup--but I've traditionally called it "one string" and "another string".... It wasn't uncommon for my wife and I to sail that way on the genny alone--very civilized in blustery winds, and no muss, no fuss for a relaxed evening sail.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2015 :  23:33:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

Yup--but I've traditionally called it "one string" and "another string".... It wasn't uncommon for my wife and I to sail that way on the genny alone--very civilized in blustery winds, and no muss, no fuss for a relaxed evening sail.

Yep,

It's been probably 3 years since I've raised the main on mine. Just too easy to run the 150 I have and see about the same speed without the hassle of having to flake the main when I get back in.

When I added the furler sailing went from being a lot of work with hank-on's to almost being a stinkpotter if you don't use the main and I never have to leave the cockpit!

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 06/27/2015 23:34:44
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2015 :  05:52:21  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

Yes, having a fuller makes a huge difference. Equally, setting your main sail reefing system so it can be done easily by one is as much of a game changer. And of course, practice, practice, practice!

I've got my mainsail reefing system down now. can tuck in a reef in less than a minute. probably less than 30 seconds if I rushed. dont even have to leave the cockpit.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

ZDavis
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2015 :  07:34:07  Show Profile
Richard,

Where do you keep your boat? Mine's down at Browns Creek on Guntersville.

"Lady Kathryn"
1983 SR/FK #3933
Zach in Huntsville, AL
Go to Top of Page

rdthoms
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
15 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2015 :  08:20:32  Show Profile
Thanks for the inputs.

@Stu - the first project I did was add jib downhaul (based on this solution: http://stingysailor.com/2014/10/04/headsail-downhaul-solution/) BTW StingySailor is a great site for small boat DIY.
Dousing the jib is easy now. At least with the standard jib I can center it with the sheets and pull it down from the cockpit without worrying about it going over the side.

@Zach - I'm in Browns Creek! Slip #101 C25 with the red sail cover just around the corner past the gazebo. Stop by if you see us there. Where is your boat?

The first time my wife and I went out alone we went with 155 alone (no main) and the winds kicked up. I found it hard to control with only that large foresail as it was hard to get through a tack and a lot of lee helm. We've only had the boat for a couple of months and this is our learning boat. Learned that we like the 100% for now!

We need to practice reefing the main. Seems I have a two line setup and I'd like to get mastgates installed to be able to get the luff tack point down to the boom easier.

Roller furler would be nice but there are alot of other projects in front of that!

Richard
Huntsville, AL
1984 Catalina 25 SR/FK #4309

Edited by - rdthoms on 06/29/2015 08:22:15
Go to Top of Page

ZDavis
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2015 :  11:07:02  Show Profile
We are in slip 600. It's the last boat in the right as you are leaving the harbor. We are planning on being there Saturday. I'll stop by and say hello.

"Lady Kathryn"
1983 SR/FK #3933
Zach in Huntsville, AL
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2015 :  20:20:48  Show Profile
Remember that the best time to reef is when you first think about it!

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page