Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Bow lights
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JanS48
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/15/2015 :  21:50:42  Show Profile
Greetings everyone, I'm guessing the PO of my boat had not had bow lights working for many years. When taking them apart everything was pretty much wasted, I am however able to find sockets in an automotive store that will work nicely. My question is this: the lenses seem to have all the color bleached out, however I can find Red and Green LED lights which should work ok regardless of the lack of lens pigment. Anyone else try this? Results?

Thanks in advance
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2015 :  22:48:46  Show Profile
Why would you use anything other than new from catalinadirect.com?

These are direct replacements for lights used on all early Catalina 25's, Catalina 27's and Catalina 30's. The housing is stainless steel rather than the original die cast zinc (yes they were the same metal as your sacrificial zinc anodes!) Sold as a set.

They are a very convenient replacement but we suggest you consider moving the bow navigation light to your pulpit. When the boat is heeled going to weather, hull mounted lights make a pretty reflection off the bow wave, but they are invisible to another boat to leeward.

Frank Hopper

Edited by - pastmember on 06/15/2015 22:51:07
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2015 :  16:27:51  Show Profile
I've got the 25s on Wind Dancer. They are the original ones from 20 years ago. The lenses are pretty pitted and cloudy. Too bad they don't sell the replacement lenses any more. I will buy new ones and replace what is needed.
The lights have the 'dimpled' festoon bulbs.I see some LEDs online; are these a simple 1 for 1 swap?
I tried that with the #1156 bulbs in the cabin and they did not work.
Love to be able to swap out the festoon bulbs for LED, but am worried about the cost if they don't work either.
Anyone try this?
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2015 :  16:44:37  Show Profile
If its a white festoon bulb it won't work, It will change the colors from a green to a sickly blue/green and the red gets pink I think. With LEDS the bulb has to emit the same color as the lens. Dr LED has a special bulb for the Aqua Signal red/green bow light. You can use a white festoon in the stern light.https://www.doctorled.com/store/nav-LED-bulb/LED-nav-bow-bulb/Bi-Color-Polar-Star-25
quote:
I tried that with the #1156 bulbs in the cabin and they did not work.

Not sure what you mean, They didn't light up or were they lighting up but were dim or a lousy color.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 06/19/2015 16:57:51
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2015 :  17:43:02  Show Profile
Hi Scott
No, they just did not work. The 1156 incandescent worked fine, the 1156 LED would not light up at all.
Glad I got them at Auto Z... No problem getting my money back.
I think, unless I decide to change fixtures, i'll stick with the incandescents.
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2015 :  20:32:46  Show Profile
To Jaydon
Regarding the festoon bulb in the center of the mast, what I did was this, I carefully drilled thru the dimple and replaced the burned out bulb with an Led replacement (get the one with the "wings" full of LED's). To make it weather proof I put an ample amount of silicone on the back and actually soldiered the bulb in place since they are supposed to last for 10+ years. The cost of the bulb was $ 13. With all LED's you MUST watch polarity - they will not work in reverse like a normal bulb. I too replaced some cabin lights with LED's and had to reverse the wires to get them lit. HTH

I'd love to chat with you in person sometime I'm still working on my 'tub' but hope to get in the water in the next couple of weeks.

Regarding the bow lights I bit the bullet and just purchased the LED kit from CD. At some point I'll add a pulpit light as well.
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2015 :  05:29:51  Show Profile
Jay, Like Jan said above, They are polar sensitive. If you remove the fixtures in the cabin and reverse the wires the bulbs probably will lite up.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2016 :  11:40:56  Show Profile
Hi all
Old thread, but just an update. New running lights with LED bulbs. Bow light was a bad wire in the anchor locker.
I got new LED lights for the cabin. Amazon. They are great. The one in the head is a red/white. Makes a good nite lite or for night running.
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page