Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Boom height
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stang9150
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/11/2015 :  21:57:35  Show Profile
I have a 78 std rig can someone tell me the height from the mast step to where the boom attaches to the mast . My boom has been moved. Up and of course the new mainsail is too long. I can see where the boom was attached at one time about 3 inches down , but even that does not make the sail right. I can move the boom where ever I need to though in theory. It's def not a tall rig I measured one of those at the dock that was way off.any help would be great thanks

ct95949
Captain

Members Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2015 :  22:32:12  Show Profile
I don't think there is any set height. I would hoist the main all the way up and as long as there are no other conflicts, make that your boom height. On my old boat a full hoist had the battens catching on the backstay so I just lowered it a few inches and set the boom at that point which was just slightly above the bimini. The only problem I could see is that the main is not right for the boat and then the boom may be to low to be practical.

'90 SR/WK #6017. PO of '79 SR/SK.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2015 :  06:17:01  Show Profile
Do you have a new (or different) sail? It's luff length determines where the boom needs to be. Once hoisted, the gooseneck on the boom is pulled down by the downhaul to tighten the luff (forward edge) of the sail, and the downhaul is cleated off to a cleat toward the bottom of the mast slot. Where the boom ends up is dependent on the sail and whether it's hoisted all the way to the top. The boom isn't "attached" on a '78--its gooseneck is meant to slide in the slot, and should always be below the opening for the slugs, but far enough above the cleat to allow the downhaul to be tensioned.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/12/2015 06:19:00
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2015 :  07:46:04  Show Profile
It is a brand new sail. The goose neck is not a slider it is attached with rivets and has been moved before at some time before me.

(Edited by Paul)
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2015 :  08:28:33  Show Profile
Definitely think that was some "handy" work. You could drill out the rivets and install a proper sliding gooseneck that will give you the flexibility to move the move the boom up and down as desired...

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/934_149/gooseneck-complete-with-slide-c-25.cfm

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2015 :  09:45:02  Show Profile
Yup--I haven't heard of a fixed gooseneck on a C-25 before about the 88 vintage--maybe a little earlier. After attaching it, maybe somebody moved it to accommodate a different, perhaps non-standard sail. If you want to stay with the fixed (riveted) configuration, the height should be such that the sail's luff can be tensioned with the halyard and is hard when the sail's head is within an inch or two of mast-head. The sliding gooseneck gives you more flexibility, and lets you tension the luff without having to winch the halyard. (Some do it by sitting on the boom as they cleat off the downhaul--I never worried about getting that much tension. )

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2015 :  10:41:52  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice. I may just go ahead and rivet it back to the mast.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2015 :  17:38:50  Show Profile
quote:
I haven't heard of a fixed gooseneck on a C-25 before about the 88 vintage--maybe a little earlier.

True. My 87 has a fixed goose neck but it is screwed on with Philips pan head screws. Not rivets. The sliding goose neck can be locked at at any height under the slug slot and IMO is more versatile. In your photo you can see the old holes in the mast where the boom was once. Why the PO moved it up or converted it from a slider is a mystery.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 06/12/2015 17:48:36
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2015 :  20:18:53  Show Profile
I'm guessing the sail is not the correct sail for a C25 or it's for a tall rig. Sail loft may have inadvertently grabbed the wrong sail when selling it to you. You have to remember the sail is going to stretch over time and looking at your pictures and assuming you have the sail at full hoist you will never get it tight even when new.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2015 :  20:46:43  Show Profile
That is why the boom is going to be moved Gary. Confirmed with the maker of the sail that it is right. I measured a neighbors boat and compared the mast it is def not a tall rig. I will move the boom down to where I still have a few inches at the top for future adjustment by adding more halyard tension. I think it will be fine
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2015 :  05:25:42  Show Profile
I'll take pictures of mine today(Sat) and measure the boom height for you as a reference. I'll post them this evening.

Edited by - islander on 06/13/2015 05:26:16
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2015 :  13:48:50  Show Profile
OK back early because the wind went to zip and I got tired of trying to maintain 1K so here are some pix. The tape measure is on the cabin top next to the mast plate. Standard rig fixed gooseneck. Notice the gooseneck is screwed to the mast,Not riveted. Maybe at some point Catalina used rivets but on my 87 screws were used.

Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2015 :  15:02:25  Show Profile
Thank you for taking the time to do that. I will look into it tomorrow
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2015 :  14:53:35  Show Profile
If you plan to move the fixed gooseneck, I suggest pulling the retaining pin after raising the main, and see where it comes to rest. If it is at or slightly above the older holes, go back to them and use screws to reattach the bracket. My guess is that a PO raised the boom to allow for a bimini. Also, if you stay with the fixed boom, have a Cunningham installed in the sail. The logo indicates the sail is a Rolly Tasker. no t bad, I have bought a few over the years and boats.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2015 :  08:24:43  Show Profile
The boom is now where it needs to be and all is well. I did pull the pin and let the boom go to where it needed to be. This put me right around 31 inches which is close to the measuring photo above.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2015 :  11:01:40  Show Profile
One thing that wasn't mentioned is that on my boat the sail doesn't go fully to the top. It falls short a few inches. I guess its to give you some wiggle room for sail stretch and different sail makers. I hope that when you hung the boom you had the sail backed off a few inches from fully hoisted. If you didn't, This could be why your boom is a little higher.

Edited by - islander on 06/16/2015 11:05:19
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2015 :  13:01:43  Show Profile
Islander: I made sure I hoisted the sail up, then back it down about 2 inches to account for stretch. I do not use the winch on the main but I do have one on the cabin top if needed. The sail shape looks good so pretty pleased at where the boom ended up. I did have a question about the stopper for the sail slugs on your set up. I noticed yours is right above the goose neck, I had to set mine up a bit higher to keep the slugs from coming out when I drop the main?
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2015 :  06:03:35  Show Profile
That stopper doesn't get used. I have installed the mast gates so I just slid the old stopper down out of the way. I only use that stopper when I put the sail on in the spring to hold the slugs up above the gate when I screw the mast gate plate on then I just move it down out of the way.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page