Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Stepping the mast for the 1st time
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JanS48
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/27/2015 :  19:48:28  Show Profile
Greetings all, I'm getting close to stepping the mast for the 1st time. I read in the owners manual this can be done with the aid of 2 folks besides myself. The manual did not mention a gin pole yet I see many references to them. Is the gin pole necessary to get the mast up (on hard) ? Any words of wisdom (besides get someone that has done it before) ?

Thanks
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 05/27/2015 :  20:25:13  Show Profile
If you have two helpers it should be no problem raising the mast. Just be sure the turnbuckles are standing up straight so you don't bend the T.

I've raised and lowered mine twice by myself with the aid of an A-frame. When I had my furler installed I dropped by myself but the riggers re-stepped it and it took them about 30 seconds to get it up.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

TEM58
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 05/28/2015 :  06:33:43  Show Profile
Like many here I use an a-frame, but I normally raise and lower by myself. In addition to paying careful attention to the turn buckles, keep in mind the mast base will tend to raise as you move the mast aft over the stern. Not a problem if you're expecting it.

Tim M
“Perfect Match II”
2003 C350 #35
Cruising FL
PO "Wine Down"
2000 C250 WK #453
PO "Perfect Match"
1983 C25 SR/SK #3932
Lake Belton
Belton, TX
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2015 :  08:48:05  Show Profile
I disagree on the number. I have raised and lowered a Catalina mast probably 20 times or more. Two strong men in the cockpit standing on the seats, one at the transom and one at the companionway; they have the load. The third man at the mast step, he lifts as the mast is passed back and then pushes down as the mast foot nears the tabernacle. the mast will want to tip end over end past the transom so the third man at the mast step must push down as the mast is extended to the max out the back and then while pushing down he must put in the mast bolt; Throwable PFD on main hatch will avoid damage to the boat by mast and fittings. A fourth person should be... (predicated on stepping while in the slip which I recommend)... holding a halyard on the dock to be the puller and holder as the mast goes up. The issues are making sure your turnbuckles are aligned prior to the lift and also being prepared to clear any thing that gets "caught", that last issue is a killer if you only have three people. I like 4 and a 5th "gopher" that can scramble around and clear any issues. The man at the mast step need to watch the mast foot to ensure no wiring get destroyed and no lines are under the mast. The guy at the transom gets free of the load first as the guy on the dock assumes load on the halyard, that transom guy can then hop to the cabin top to help with the lift BUT he must not rock the boat as he moves.

edit: mast step guy finishes the event by putting the clevis pin in the forestay as guy on dock pulls and someone at the mast pushes. Then you get to TUNE IT.

Frank Hopper

Edited by - pastmember on 05/30/2015 08:51:42
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2015 :  09:04:12  Show Profile
So many details. Don't forget to put the Windex on the masthead before you raise the mast. I use the ring on my mast to shackle the halyard to and then use the halyard tail to pull with, if you don't have a ring on the front of your mast then belay it to a cleat; obviously this halyard cannot let go and run while raising the mast. An aft lift as I describe is the most common, some lift in the opposite direction... they are weird. It is assumed that the back stay, upper shrouds and aft lowers are connected while raising the stick, finishing with the forestay holds her up and then you attach the forward lowers. As a side note, the mast is very secure with the lowers and either the forestay or backstay attached, not for sailing but in terms of worrying about the mast falling down; those dual lowers are an amazing rig for holding up that mast, I launch with a crane and having the backstay off while launching was a non issue.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2015 :  16:09:32  Show Profile
I'm with Frank - three able bodied adults

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame
Go to Top of Page

Heartbeat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2015 :  08:16:25  Show Profile
I recommend a gin pole if you have access to one. Get the sidestays set, backstay on, and aft lowers. Lay the top end of the mast to the back. Attach the line on the gin pole to the spinnaker halyard and Bob's yer uncle. We did it with 2 people in 5 minutes this year.

I have not tried the a-frame method, so I cannot offer an opinion.

5 people (as Frank suggests) is what I have done without a gin pole. It's much more exciting with 3 or 4, but still can be done. Pin the bottom of the mast and attach your mainsheets to the forestay and use them to help lift. Use a combination of lifting / steadying. It will be exciting if it is your first time. Can you ask a sailing friend for help?

Whatever you do: Watch those turnbuckles! They kink easily, and sometimes bad enough you are taking the rig down and replacing them. They are not cheap. (You can guess how I know this little tidbit.) I actually task on person with doing nothing but watching the turnbuckles if I have the people.

Check the lights, watch the windvane, go slow, and have a co-beer ready. You will need it when finished.

Matt

former Captain of Heartbeat
Catalina 25 Tall
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2015 :  07:48:39  Show Profile
Last year Scott Islander and I lowered the mast using his Aframe. The biggest problem for me were the unknown-unknowns like how do you access the forestay toggle with a furler covering it and what do you do to hold up the mast once you lower it? (You need a post with a Y crotch tied securely to the stern pulpit), which Scott also provided.
I worked on the mast, the wiring, the rigging, etc for about 2 weeks so when it came time to raise the mast again, I had a volunteer helper to keep an eye on the shroud turnbuckles and any random lines or cables hung up or in the way.
The mast went up no problem using the sheet and the Aframe.
So another week went by and I was raising my jib up the furler, got about 1/2-way up and "clunk"! The furler head got stuck on a rivet and would not go up any further. Now the boat was in the water and I had to lower the mast again solo to fix it.
Since I'd already done it once, I knew what to expect so I took all precautions, re-rigged the Aframe and post and brought the mast down. A wee bit tricky in the water with breezes. I took care of the problem (a fat rivet head on the furler foil), checked the rest of them and brought the mast back up slowly and carefully.
Moral of the story - with some experience and the right tools you can do a lot. It's doing it the first time with help that makes all the difference.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2015 :  11:41:05  Show Profile
If I trailer sailed I would have an A-Frame.

Edit, I am lucky enough to be at a sailboat club and there are always willing sailors available to help.

Frank Hopper

Edited by - pastmember on 06/07/2015 11:42:09
Go to Top of Page

alfreddiaz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
30 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2016 :  23:15:28  Show Profile
Jan, How did it go? A couple years back me and a buddy figured we could lift it. Short story is I ended up investing $40 in hardware and gear and made a gin pole. And it still took the to of us. I will add that we are both well under six foot. And if I had to do it over, I would have taken a couple long 2 X 8 planks and laid them across the rails to give us extra standing height. Really a gin pole is a neat device but you still need a second person to keep the mast from swaying.
Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2016 :  00:41:35  Show Profile
Greetings, it ended up with myself and two others very carefully kind of 'walking' it up once it was attached to the masthead. I had everything set beforehand so it didn't take long. It ended up taking much more work (a couple of hours) to get the roller furling sorted out and then putting on the jib for the 1st time.
I ended up having a great year sailing around Newport harbor. Can't wait for this spring.
Good luck.

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2016 :  03:57:42  Show Profile
When we purchased our boat the turn buckles on the rear shrouds were bent leading me to believe one of the previous owners stepped the mast themselves but I couldn't help but wonder if the original mast step is used when self-stepping? For some reason I've been thinking I'd need a different step to raise the mast myself. No?

Kyle
'86 SR/SK/Dinette #5284 "Anodyne"
In the barn where we found her...
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2016 :  05:50:07  Show Profile
quote:
For some reason I've been thinking I'd need a different step to raise the mast myself. No?

Does your mast step look like this:

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2016 :  06:46:14  Show Profile
I know it doesn't have the eyelets... I'll have to check.
I'll check all my photos, too, otherwise I won't be able to get to it until next Friday.

Thanks.

Kyle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2016 :  07:49:11  Show Profile
I have seen the mast steps without the eyelets but the step itself is the same. My 87 has the eyelets.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2016 :  05:18:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Davy J

quote:
For some reason I've been thinking I'd need a different step to raise the mast myself. No?

Does your mast step look like this:

It looks like I'm good to go - thank you.

Kyle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page