Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Misaligned Keel Eyebolt
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rsdavis
Deckhand

Member Avatar

7 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/11/2015 :  18:44:01  Show Profile
Hello all,

I was replacing my keel cable when I noticed that the eyebolt is not aligned properly with the keel. This is causing the cable to bend against the hull when retracted and results in a kink near the end of the cable.

Is this a common problem? Can I just take a tire iron and twist the eyebolt straight? I don't want to end up shearing it off. The [img] feature wasn't working so I linked an image below. Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/_olziXOL8j3K7G-5A9RCFDL99tUjFk9wFvcA99Ni1dU?ref_=cd_share_link_copy

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2015 :  19:12:11  Show Profile
Yikes. Is the problem it needs to be mounted further down on the keel? Or that it was rotated the wrong way? This might help...

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/321_108/keel-eyebolt-retrofit-assy.cfm

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2015 :  19:37:01  Show Profile
I suspect an enlarged hole for the pivot bolt that allows the keel to wobble. The keel bolt by itself would be hard pressed to let the cable slide far enough to contact the hull. Sleeving the keel pivot hole isn't that hard to repair.

Edit: you need to drop the keel to verify that, also not hard and you can replace the hanger bolts at the same time.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 05/11/2015 19:39:03
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2015 :  09:35:09  Show Profile
That's different than my setup. The picture below is the original bolt out my keel. The link above is a replacement for it. It looks like it may been upgraded at some point. Hard to tell exactly from the picture.

Be careful trying to take the bolt out, or even loosening it up. It took me a full weekend and a lot of torch gas to get mine out.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2015 :  07:10:47  Show Profile
Whoa! How much does that keel weigh??? I'd be very concerned about trying to remove the pivot bolt unless I had all kinds of rigging and hydraulic jacks. I'd imagine folks who've dealt with them in the past have developed techniques to safely manage that much weight in a small space under the boat, but I would not be surprised at all that you could find yourself pinned under the keel by yourself just out of reach of your cell phone...

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2015 :  07:14:02  Show Profile
quote:
you could find yourself pinned under the keel by yourself just out of reach of your cell phone..

Hate when that happens...

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2015 :  11:01:06  Show Profile
1500 lbs more or less. They really aren't that hard to deal with.

I had mine on higher stands, but I believe this will still work. I put down regular old cinder blocks, open sides up, to let the keel down onto with a shim of wood to keep the keel directly off the block. I put 4x4s in the the open slots to keep the keep from tipping over when I finally got it down.

I used a 20 ton bottle jack and some muscle to get the keel up and down. I got impatient using the all thread method.

The keel has to drop way down to clear the bottom of the boat. It needs to drop about 12" to clear in the front. You only need to drop it down about 4-6" or to get to the hanger and pivot pin. As long as the front of the keel stays in the trunk, its going nowhere.

I would check the hangers and pin being that you have it on the stands. Its a maintenance item that definitely needs to be checked. And yes, take a spotter. Even if it is the admiral playing candy crush in the shade.

I lost a lot of pictures when my old phone died or I would upload some to show what I'm describing.

Where are you located?

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2015 :  07:49:03  Show Profile
I bought the eye kit and could never get my old one out.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Frank Law
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
159 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2015 :  18:01:03  Show Profile
AS a former swing keel owner I used the all thread rod several times to replace the pivot pin and hangars . I made a framework to guide the forward part of the keel as it was lowered ,the aft part of the keel was still hanging by the cable . I did use a bottle jack to make lowering and raising the keel easier but still using the all thread.
It takes a while , but I did not feel in danger doing it.. I also had an enlarged pivot pin hole in the keel , much bigger than the sleeve that I got from Catalina direct. So I had a sleeve custom made for the hole and filled in the remaining areas with epoxy and it held up
You can do the job

Frank Law
retired cat 25 sailor
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2015 :  09:42:04  Show Profile
Is the boat on a trailer? The forward end of the keel only needs to drop about 6" to the trailer to to access the pivot. I used the threaded rod approach with shims in the trunk. The keel can be lowered enough without coming completely out of the trunk if you do one end at a time. You could do the same ting on stands or a cradle by building up a support as mentioned above. I drilled and sleeved mine on the trailer with no difficulty

Check this link:
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp%3FTOPIC_ID%3D22172&sa=U&ei=KWpbVdbHK4j4yQTC5oKoCg&ved=0CAoQFjAD&usg=AFQjCNFpXPmKzcNOC4UO9e3q5FQ5nkGqRg

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 05/19/2015 09:54:44
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2015 :  09:56:15  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Dave5041

Is the boat on a trailer? The forward end of the keel only needs to drop about 6" to the trailer to to access the pivot. I used the threaded rod approach with shims in the trunk. The keel can be lowered enough without coming completely out of the trunk if you do one end at a time. You could do the same ting on stands or a cradle by building up a support as mentioned above. I drilled and sleeved mine on the trailer with no difficulty

Check this link:
www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22172

Edited by - Dave5041 on 05/19/2015 09:59:34
Go to Top of Page

Jay Schkloven
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
84 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2015 :  07:26:57  Show Profile
If you have the keel cable attachment out you might consider the upgrade offered by Catalina Direct. It allows for a lot more swing. I use washers inside the yoke to keep the cable centered in the yoke.
Also, check inside the rubber tube to make sure it is not binding on the tube interior coming apart.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page