Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 What have you upgraded/fixed today? (Part deux)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/01/2015 :  15:13:56  Show Profile
On the advice of our Web Master lets restart this discussion.
Please refer to this link

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 05/01/2015 15:15:31

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2015 :  17:50:00  Show Profile
I just got 4 more cushions reupholstered. I have a great shop that does excellent work but not too cheap. All 9 cushions re-done with fabric tops and vinyl bottoms/backs ran me about $2500. They really look great. I started last year with the v-berth (new foam) and bought all the fabric at the same time. This year I'm finishing the rest of them. All and all, I'm very happy with the results. We plan on doing a few weekends on the boat this year so they will really make a big difference. I also picked up a used propane stove to replace the "curtain burner" along with a 11 lbs. marine propane cylinder. Maybe next year will re-do the bottom paint (4-5 seasons on it).

Brian & JoAnne Gleissner
Knot So Fast
1984 Catalina 25, SR/SK
Traditional Interior
Lake Candlewood, CT
Go to Top of Page

jefferydfloyd
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
30 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2015 :  07:08:23  Show Profile  Visit jefferydfloyd's Homepage
We added a folding cockpit table and a folding helm seat... thanks to several folks on this forum for ideas and pics ... here is a link to some pics of the mods

Life Goes On Mods

Some mods we did this spring - 2015

Jeff Floyd
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2015 :  12:41:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BCG-Woodbury

...I also picked up a used propane stove to replace the "curtain burner" along with a 11 lbs. marine propane cylinder...
Brad: What's your plan for the propane system? (Just curious.......)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2015 :  05:34:32  Show Profile
I replaced a 12-2 wire with 10-2 from a 30 amp fuse to a subpanel, to get it up to specs.. fun fun fun.. but what a wonderful weekend on the boat. I had forgotten it was a Full Moon!

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2015 :  18:19:10  Show Profile
Went for a brief sail in small craft 25kt winds before deciding my time would be better spent at the dock. Finally did a spring cleaning and organization of the interior which had just been crammed full of junk from all the projects. Still need to bring the power washer down to clean the top side and scrub the interior and stem clean the cushions. It will be nice having a usable interior again!

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

wanderer13
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
76 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2015 :  16:53:17  Show Profile
Well, I thought I'd add to the fun. I installed a Chartplotter this past week. I didn't want to install it permanently in the cockpit, so I came up with the solution - I installed it on a heavy duty gooseneck from snakeclamp. It's not "marine grade", so it'll be a test on how the fixture holds up to the environment.

The gooseneck allows me to stow the GPS inside the cabin when not in use (prevents pilferage and wear & tear), or re-orient the screen so I can see it from multiple places on the boat. Also, it gives me access to the anchor alarm feature from inside.

The chartplotter is also wired into my VHF and that's a real nice feature.

P.S. sorry for the messy view of the starbd settee.

1981 Catalina 25 FK/TR
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2015 :  19:10:48  Show Profile
Dave -

I picked up a Stainless Marine 2-Burner unit that came with a Regulator and Solenoid Valve. I plan on locating the tank outside when I use it and store it in the dumpster when not in use. I have a rail mounted grill and will split off to serve both.

Regards,

Brian & JoAnne Gleissner
Knot So Fast
1984 Catalina 25, SR/SK
Traditional Interior
Lake Candlewood, CT
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2015 :  13:40:38  Show Profile
Yesterday had a spirited sail to the Chesapeake blues festival at sandy point for some anchored relaxation. Great reaching conditions there, beating upwind home racing a storm to get back, all was well. Today went and power washed the topsides which look amazing now!

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2015 :  15:58:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BCG-Woodbury

I plan on locating the tank outside when I use it and store it in the dumpster when not in use.
Glad I asked. Please look at this document from ABYC, which sets the standards for boat construction and systems--specifically Section 1.12. The very tiniest seepage from that tank in the dumpster will flow like water and accumulate in the bilge. In that still-air environment, it won't dissipate, but eventually could flow onto the cabin sole. That's why the C-250 is designed with a dedicated locker for a tank, where any leaking gas escapes to the cockpit and then overboard through the open transom. It's also why you see older boats with cylinder holders on the sternrail and elsewhere. It might not be pretty, but neither is a big "KABOOM!" (See this--you can skip to the 5-minute mark...)

This is why my condo complex outlaws storage of propane cylinders in basements and garages.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2015 :  05:07:38  Show Profile
quote:
I plan on locating the tank outside when I use it and store it in the dumpster when not in use.

Not a good and definitely an unsafe idea, Propane is heavier than air so would just sink/accumulate in the bottom of the boat. The tank and connections all have to be in an airtight container. There are rules and regulations to install gas.http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Safe-Propane-Installations

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Jan Briede
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
162 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2015 :  06:30:03  Show Profile
Captain Rob,
Great pictures of the Bay Bridge. Sailed below them many years ago (early 1980s). We had a great sail in the lower Bay this weekend as well (see my latest Blog posting). After the sail we washed the boat as well, and getting ready to replace the last two ports!
But as a friend told me: Don't just work on the boat, but enjoy it (aka sail it) as well!
Jan

Jan Briede
Beagle
1979 TR #1242 FK
L-Dinette
Yorktown, VA
Blog -- http://vanomad.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2015 :  16:57:38  Show Profile
Why in the world did they build that bridge in a long arc rather than straight across?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 05/18/2015 20:59:24
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2015 :  07:58:37  Show Profile
Joke right??

Google Map it, that the beginning of the west portion of the bridge.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page