Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Motor mount suitable for a 4 stroke?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2015 :  12:07:15  Show Profile
Yup--it's a Fulton, which at the time had the best vertical travel for a heavy 4-stroke bracket. It made lifting pretty easy at the time--I suspect the springs have weakened since 2002 or whenever it was. When it turned out to not have adequate clearance for the motor in the up position, they sold me the two cast aluminum U-beams that space the bracket a few inches out from the transom.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/09/2015 :  20:25:42  Show Profile
If you bought a Fulton mount, BTW they are very sturdy with thick, strong arms, and the mount has straight arms where the handle is, then make sure you buy longer mounting bolts and plan on using a backing plate of 1" or more on the outside of the transom, as well as a backing plate of 1/4" on the inside of the transom. I mounted a Fulton with straight arms and a 1/2" composite board on the outside and the arms at the top at the handle hit the rub rail preventing me from using the top lock setting.
Notice that the motor mounts that CD sells have angled lift arms. That angle is there for a very good reason!

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 09/09/2015 20:27:18
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/10/2015 :  18:35:27  Show Profile
Yes, the Fulton has been quite reliable so far. As Dave noted above, it is mounted on a 2" offset from the transom so ithe lever does not have any interference. That said, the additional 2" lever arm could cause problems with the mounts. I check the bolts, nuts and mechanism for possible wear and so far, so good. I've added a short piece of stout line to help me raise the engine as needed and don't plan any further mods at this time. I'm glad I can count on the mount whenever I go out.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2015 :  05:15:33  Show Profile
Bruce: Have you tried dry-lubing it for easier travel?

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2015 :  07:49:07  Show Profile
As I wrote a few years ago, do not buy the Fulton MB1820 mount for a C25! The mount is plenty strong, made with heavy duty aluminum bars, but the lift is only 9" and it has the straight lift arm problem. The MB 1810 model, which I had, was made out of the same materials, but has a longer lift. It appears to be out of production now. As I recall, Dave's Fulton was an altogether different model.

Here's the archived thread on the Fulton 1820 vs 1810:
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=16245

DavidP

Edited by - dmpilc on 09/11/2015 07:54:33
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2015 :  07:59:57  Show Profile
Here is the other thread on the mount topic:
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=16416

DavidP
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2015 :  08:21:07  Show Profile
Found this, Garelick 71090 and 71091 bracket mounting instructions. Useful info on measuring placement and height travel differences. If you have only a long shaft motor, you will need the longer travel model:
http://www.garelick.com/files/12.295.pdf

DavidP

Edited by - dmpilc on 09/11/2015 08:21:30
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2015 :  19:11:02  Show Profile
I have a Garelick "two spring" four stroke bracket for my Tohatsu 9.8 XXL, installed in 2008 -- it works fine and is easy to raise and lower. That said, from day one -- from a light rain -- rust appeared on all the stainless. And, the small teflon looking gasket appears to be hard, if not impossible to replace when it finally dies. At his point for me, it all works so I am satisfied!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

ParaDocks
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Response Posted - 10/07/2015 :  16:17:37  Show Profile
I just purchased the 4 spring from Catalina Direct for a new Honda 9.9. I mounted it in the same holes and did not notice it has more length. I now use it in the notch above the bottom notch. If the waves get serious I can always drop it to the bottom notch. This way I do not have to step on it to lower it. When you get it just keep it in the lower notch to loosen the springs a little.

Jim D
"ParaDocks"
1990 C25 TR/WK
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2016 :  14:03:01  Show Profile
Hi all
Installed the new 4 spring mount today. I remember (somewhere) someone saying to put the mount all the way down to sort of 'condition' the springs. What a b*^ch! Had to put my weight on it.
I brought it down to the top slot. I usually only need to go the 1st one.
I'm going to leave it down for a couple of weeks to see if it loosens up.
If not, i'll have to unhook one of the springs.

Has anyone ever tried it? It would have to be one of the two top ones. The ones on the bottom have the hook, but the bars are right there and the spring won't be looser than if it's attached.
That thing is really going to spring when let go. Have to protect the hull.

I think if I were to do it again, with the info I now have, I'd go with the three spring.
With the 4 spring, that Yammy 9.9 is going to shoot out of the water. LOL
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2016 :  08:18:56  Show Profile
Just a quick update for those interested. The 4 spring was the way to go! Don't have to push hard to get the engine down. Coming up is easy!! The only thing (very small) is the mount sticks in the down position; the 'locator pin' is hard against the slot, so you have to give it a tug to raise it.
All-in-all a great investment

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2016 :  11:31:52  Show Profile
Glad to hear it. A dab of marine grease on the pin and in the slots helps. Lightly filing the sharp edges of the slots also helps in the arm releasing.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2016 :  03:42:24  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I have the 4 spring Garhauer which I installed back in late 2005. It has worked fine. I recall responding to one these outboard bracket postings (not this one) in which I mentioned that when I initially installed my 4 spring bracket, I could not get it into the lower lock position and that is with a heavy Honda 4-stroke on it. I had mentioned what I did to make it easier and it is similar to what was posted above in this posting thread. I actually stood on top of the of the outboard cowling to get it into the lower lock position on the bracket. I then left it that way for a few days or more. After doing that a couple of times, I found that with effort, I could then get it into the lower lock position without standing on the outboard - The springs had relaxed a bit. The only issue I then had which was also reported above was that to unlock iti, move it out of the lower lock position, I would have to step on the bracket handle with one foot to unlock it. This has turned out to be a minor thing to do to unlock it but I still do that after all these years, though, it sometimes can be unlocked by hand now but I usually still do it with one foot on the handle to give it a nudge. Still - The bracket is great. I am satisfied. Good thought - Perhaps greasing the pin will make it easier. Just never thought to do that.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 06/06/2016 03:45:30
Go to Top of Page

cat25
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
140 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2016 :  18:02:37  Show Profile
I have a two block system used during deer hunting t o raise the deer off. The ground . Not expensive works great. Ties on to the rear stanchion and the motor mount handle.

Ken
Chenango~
1990~TR~WK~C25~#6022
Candlewood Lake, Ct
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page