Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Motor mount suitable for a 4 stroke?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

plourde.jeff
Deckhand

Member Avatar

Canada
9 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/21/2015 :  18:13:32  Show Profile
Hi Everyone,

Well I pulled the trigger on new outboards this summer. Not exactly money "well spent" in my opinion (they cost as much as I paid for the boat!), but with my spouse getting into sailing and struggling to keep the 30 year old 2 strokes running while docking and anchoring (they do have a sweet spot); I decided to keep her interest peaked and equip our C25 with a Yamaha 9.9HP high thrust XL shaft with electric start and our dinghy with the 6HP Yamaha.

Now, with the 4 stroke motors come additional weight. I am trying to figure out whether I need to replace the outboard motor bracket on the transom or whether it will be strong enough. The metal is anodize aluminum which does have great properties. So, is the weight concern only for the spring? meaning I won't have as much "assistance" trying to raise the mount?

I installed this bracket a couple years ago, bought it from bass pro. I cannot find a model # anywhere. All I can remember is that the max weight might be 85 pounds ish.

What are thoughts on the metal being able to withstand the 100 pound Yamaha, and really the only consideration or "rating" is the rebound of the springs?

Any and all comments are welcome as I ponder replacing the motor mount.

Thanks!

"La Tina Caliente"
1977 Catalina 25 Hull #195
SR/SK Dinette

Edited by - plourde.jeff on 04/21/2015 18:32:55

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2015 :  09:51:02  Show Profile
Hard question to answer without knowing what make and model/weight rating your mount is or how heavy the motor is that you are replacing. just for giggles lets say your old motor was 85lbs and was easy to pull up. Now if the new motor is 30lbs heavier than the old motor then your going to need 30lbs more lifting power and that will be supplied by you.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 04/22/2015 09:56:48
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2015 :  14:14:46  Show Profile
Hi all
I got the same outboard. The original mount does not do a good job of assisting the lift. I am planning on a Garelick mount. Looking at either a 71091 or 71090. They both will handle the weight (150lbs). At my age I could go for the 71093 or 94 which handle 115lbs, but the motor is too close to that capacity and I am going for ease of operation. My question concerns travel on the first two. The '90' has 9.5" and the '91' has 15.5". Any thoughts on which would be the best for the 25?
Thanks
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2015 :  14:30:43  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I do know about the Garelick but many of the Catalina 25s were furnished with Garhauer 2 spring models. If not sure what your existing bracket is, rcmd check out Catalina Direct or possibly the Garhauer website to see photos of their mounts. Reason for this is that it may be a deciding factor to consider going with a Garhauer 3 or 4 spring model (4 spring model believe kicks in for outboards weighing over 100 lbs or so) since all the Garhauers (2, 3 and 4 spring models) Have the same bolt hole pattern/line up. Replacing with another Garhauer is as easy as removing the bolts and then reinstalling the bolts with the new mount. That's what I did back in fall 2005 replacing my 2 spring model with a 4 spring model. Of course, if you do not presently have a Garhauer mount, then using the same bolt holes may not be possible.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 06/15/2015 14:33:57
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2015 :  14:38:53  Show Profile
Save yourself a lot of grief. Get the mount from CD, they are designed for the C25 transom. For the 9.9 motor, you'll want the 3 or 4 spring version. With the 3, you'll use a tiny bit more effort to lift than the 4, and with the 4 you might have to use some extra effort to push it down. Reverse will be just the opposite. Lift distance is also important issue. 9.5" lift will be too short.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2015 :  14:47:15  Show Profile
I'll have to measure bolt spacing. The one on Cat direct looks ok; but the price is crazy compared to Garelick.
Still wondering about the travel. Will 9.5" be ok?
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

pfduffy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
317 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2015 :  17:17:27  Show Profile
I got the catalina direct 3 spring mount for my tohatsu 9.8 extra long shaft. I absolutely love it. Decided that once you are in for the cost of the motor, might as well go all the way.

Pat Duffy
1984 SK/SR #4113
SlĂ inte
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2015 :  17:18:32  Show Profile
The mount from CD is the mount that came standard. The mount has 17-1/4" of travel. Big difference from 9.5" You could set the Garelick up low enough to get the prop properly submerged but with only 9.5" of lift I think you would have a conflict with the motor head hitting the transom when you go to tilt the motor. It won't come up high enough. You would probably need some sort of a stand off for the mount. Yea they are pricey from CD but you might end up shooting yourself in the foot.

Edited by - islander on 06/15/2015 17:21:32
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2015 :  18:44:30  Show Profile
Thanks for all the input. I'll check out CD.
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

DanM
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
256 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2015 :  18:58:09  Show Profile  Visit DanM's Homepage
Thinking of your spouse's involvement, it may be better to select the bracket with more lift. She can always give it a down shove with her foot, but a mount with a lighter spring is tough to unlatch and lift in choppy water.

DanM _/)
'85 C25 4870
Buffalo, NY-Pt.Abino, ON
www.buffalocanoeclub.com

Edited by - DanM on 06/15/2015 19:06:36
Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2015 :  22:02:31  Show Profile
Greetings,
I recently purchased a 15hp 4stroke Mercury which I was told is basically the same block and weight of a 9.9, anyway I first placed the motor on the mount that was on the boat but it was not exactly sturdy, I could sense some wiggle. I ended up going with the heavy duty Garelick which would support up to 150 lbs and 25hp. It works great with lots of height. As someone mentioned here you do actually have to push it down to get it locked in position. Pulling it up it's as if it was a power lift. If going this route plan on filling and re-drilling all the transom holes.

Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2015 :  22:54:58  Show Profile
I have owned and installed both, buy the Garhauer, no contest.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2015 :  14:20:58  Show Profile
Great advise all,
I really like the idea of not having to drill new holes!
I believe I have an original two spring model. As I posted earlier, I now have a '99 Yamaha 9.9 4stk. Great motor. All gone over by the dealer and at $900, I think a good buy.
Manual says 101 lbs. I can manage with the two spring mount, but at 70yo, it's a bi%ch.
Do you think CD will give me the best advise on a 3 or 4 spring?
I don't want to have to get up and use my foot to get it down while trying to hold the tiller.
That would definately be worth a utube video.
Anyone who can offer a little advice would be appreciated.

One related question - the backing inside the boat looks some kind of poly board.
Wouldn't plywood be better for this?
Thanks for any help
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2015 :  18:43:48  Show Profile
Interesting- the backing board on Passage looks like starboard or HDPE. It's a very solid mount and has not budged in all the time I've owned her. That said I check the bolts every season but with locking nuts, they never move. My 16 foot daysailor mount has plywood backing and I check it for rot. That too has been fine but I use a 50# 2 stroke on it, so I can't say whether it would support a 100#+ engine.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 09/01/2015 18:46:33
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2015 :  05:49:22  Show Profile
Jay, Most use the poly board for 2 reasons. It won't rot and it looks better. A poly cutting board cut to size is fine. No need for expensive marine poly. I can't comment on the 3 or 4 springer or which would work for you but some have bought the 4 springer and if it is too much they simply unhook one spring. Later on if they get a different (heaver) motor or the springs get weaker with use you can re-hook the spring.

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2015 :  07:34:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

J...some have bought the 4 springer and if it is too much they simply unhook one spring. Later on if they get a different (heaver) motor or the springs get weaker with use you can re-hook the spring.

Are you sure? I recall hearing the springs don't just hook and unhook--but my memory isn't that reliable...

"Voyager" Bruce's boat has Starboard (HDPE) as a "fronting board" on the transom to spread the load on the exterior fiberglass (assuming he hasn't changed it). I believe there's a smaller piece of Starboard inside, just backing the upper bolts, since the lower ones will only be pulled in reverse. I got the Fulton because the long-travel Garelick hadn't appeared yet, and the Garhauer wasn't available in a 3- or 4-spring version for my 108# Honda. Today I'd probably buy the Garhauer, if for no other reason than Frank says to.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/02/2015 07:36:45
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2015 :  10:03:33  Show Profile
quote:
Are you sure? I recall hearing the springs don't just hook and unhook--but my memory isn't that reliable...

The spring has a shallow hook that hooks around the tubing. You just use a screwdriver to pry it off the tube and off to the side. You can see one in the middle in this photo of mine when I added 2 springs on the outside of my 2 springer. By the way that mod really worked out well for lifting the Honda.

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2015 :  14:54:10  Show Profile
At this point I could use the extra spring. My son tried raising the engine over the weekend and he was stymied. I grabbed it and with a heave I got it into the up position, but it was not effortless. I've tried boom vangs and blocks but brute force looks to be the only reliable move. Not helping my rotator cuff one bit!!!!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2015 :  05:36:30  Show Profile
I hear you Bruce.
I'm going with the 4 spring.
After I haul for the winter and get the engine off.
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2015 :  10:22:17  Show Profile
Hey Islander, where did you get those extra springs. I need similar on mine, and I really don't wont to replace the mount. I had to bend ways a fat man isn't supposed to when I put the bracket on 3 years ago. Not wanting to do that again. That being said, I really like your fix.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2015 :  11:30:00  Show Profile
I used the springs from an old mount that I found at a swap meet that my Marina holds every year. I cut them and shaped the hooks so I would have 2 usable springs. The 3/8" hinge bolts were replaced with longer 3/8" threaded rod so as to make the shelf for the added springs to ride on. Other parts are 3/8 nylock nuts,Short pieces of aluminum tube for the spring to ride on as a bushing and 3/8" fender washers. For me this wasn't hard but really depends on ones capability.
Old Mount that I got the springs from.

Added 2 springs to my mount

Edited by - islander on 09/03/2015 12:02:37
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2015 :  20:49:58  Show Profile
Yesterday I checked my motor mount and noticed I have four springs on it. Nonetheless I still struggle with raising it up. I suppose that over time the springs lose their strength so I'll either just have to put up with it or buy new springs. Can they be purchased separately at CD?

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2015 :  05:38:14  Show Profile
Bruce, If you have the same mount that I have in the photo above, The answer is no. The springs were put on then the tubes were welded. No way to get them off or on unless you cut the tubes and have them re-welded or do some fabricating like I did by putting extra springs on the outside. I'm surprised that you have 4 springs and sill have trouble lifting the motor. Odd.

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2015 :  08:09:27  Show Profile
Must be losing it! I'll take a photo of the unit. Mine is wider than yours so it's a little different.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2015 :  14:45:19  Show Profile
Dave said in his post above you have a Fulton, Not the same mount as the Garhauer I have and what Catalina used and what CD sells. My experience with trying to purchase just the springs was that these company's won't sell just the springs. They think it is to dangerous for us to try and replace the springs. They want you to send the mount to them so there trained professional can install them. Because I couldn't buy just the springs from them, Thats why I went looking for a used mount that I could get the springs from to add them to my 2 spring Garhauer.
quote:
I got the Fulton because the long-travel Garelick hadn't appeared yet, and the Garhauer wasn't available in a 3- or 4-spring version for my 108# Honda. Today I'd probably buy the Garhauer, if for no other reason than Frank says to.

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2015 :  20:28:31  Show Profile
Yes I checked today, it's a Fulton. There's no way to add or replace springs on it but I've improvised a line that both pulls the handle out of the detente and also helps me get a good hold on the engine. Works pretty well.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page