Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 CDI FF4 Furler - need information
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JanS48
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/20/2015 :  21:23:00  Show Profile
Greetings All,
As you can tell from my posts, this boat is new-to-me. In getting ready to step the mast, I noticed that some of the joints on the CDI furler extrusion were slightly bent. I see that I can purchase new torque links fairly cheap. Anyone out there have experience replacing/fixing these? Is it worth it to go with a one piece PVC kit (approx. $ 250) ?
The model is a CDI FF4 with aluminum section extrusions.
Is this something I'm going to need a pro to do? I'm a very capable mechanic but have not worked in this area before.
Thanks in Advance.
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2015 :  03:55:51  Show Profile
Are you sure that you can still get the links? I seem to remember reading here that they were no longer available.

If it's possible to change over to the plastic foil, that would be the route I would go. The plastic foil is bullet proof and makes raising or lowering the mast easy.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2015 :  05:26:25  Show Profile
quote:
Are you sure that you can still get the links? I seem to remember reading here that they were no longer available

I seem to remember that too.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

capted
1st Mate

Members Avatar

39 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2015 :  18:17:40  Show Profile
I checked CDI and torque links are available for a few of the older models, but not many. I'd suggest you stock up on those links if they are available. Having said that, my old CDI with the aluminum sections has survived for 30 years with some bend at the links. So I wouldn't recommend that you actually replace torque links unless the bend is so sharp that it interferes with the sail or halyard. The system is difficult to disassemble without losing links or the little nylon centering beads. There is nothing like watching an irreplaceable link pop out, bounce off the deck, and go into the water!
It is good that CDI has created retrofit kits so that we can avoid replacing the entire system. I've put on a new spool, but retained the old metal extrusions.
Ed
Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2015 :  21:38:09  Show Profile
Greetings all,
Well, it seems the torque links are not available (that I can find) for the FF4 I have. I do however have two good links and 'halves' of the remainder. I'm fairly good at working through difficult situations, I've seen it mentioned that it is possible to use the 2" instead of the 4" links - I could do that and use an aluminum pop rivet as the stops.
Additionally I have a question, the jib is raised thru one of the front channels - what is the other used for? If it's not used I 'could' place some 9mm aluminum stock in the un-used side and heli-arc it in place - between that and the 2" torque links I would have a very rigid rig once complete - although you would never get it apart. and yes I understand this would need to be done with the head-stay inside.

Thoughts please?
Thanks
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page