Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Cleaning a swing keel in a tidal grid
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

indecentseas
1st Mate

Member Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/26/2015 :  19:31:32  Show Profile
It's time to clean the bottom of my boat. Last year I had to haul her out completely for a repair so I did not have to worry about cleaning her myself. This year I am looking for an effective and economical way to get all the gunk off.

My marina has a tidal grid I can use for $50. I'm not sure if this will work with my boat because she has a swing keel. I've seen numerous people use the grid with a fin keel. As the tide goes out the boat balances on the bottom of the keel and you have a few hours to scrape. But with a swing keel, I believe that as the tide rises with my boat in the grid, the keel will "lift up" as the tide lowers the boat. I foresee two problems:
1. Parts of the keel might disappear inside the boat and be inaccessible. This will mainly be a problem for the trailing edge of the keel.
2. The leading edge of the keel, I am guessing, will be lying flat on the ground which will make it completely out of reach.

So my question: What;s the best way to clean the keel and the bottom of my boat? Can I do it with a tide grid?

Any other tips? What should i use to scrape? Or should I rent a pressure washer?

Thanks!

David Hopkins
Vancouver, British Columbia
'78 Swing Keel, Standard Rig, Dinette

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 03/26/2015 :  19:41:45  Show Profile
Not sure how a tide grid works but you do NOT want any weight on the swing keel. Doing so will likely damage the keel truck and cause leaks.

Edit: Looked up tide grids. The only way you could use one is if you built some type of supports the hull of the boat could settle onto but not the keel. You cannot put any pressure on the keel.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 03/26/2015 19:49:07
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/26/2015 :  20:26:32  Show Profile
What's your tidal range? If it's just a few feet I'd suggest you do the following:
Find a sand flat somewhere that has about 2-3 ft of water at low tide. Get your scraping gizmo, whether a squeegee or a stiff brush. Anchor the boat on the bow and stern and make sure your swing keel is slightly out of the trunk so you can reach the forward edge, but not so much that it would touch bottom at low tide. At low, take a walk to the boat (in 3' of water) and swab it all around.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2015 :  05:49:57  Show Profile
You should be able to find a diver to clean the bottom. Probably charge somewhere between 50-100.00.

I had a diver clean my C25 every month here, only charged 40.00.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2015 :  06:11:00  Show Profile
What is your bottom paint and when did you put it on?

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page