Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Haul Out. Paint Prep
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Akenumber
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/24/2015 :  16:43:51  Show Profile
So, I purchased a trailer and built a 15' tongue extension. Worked great by the way, pics to come. I have lots. I pressure washed the hull and am thinking of a full removal of old bottom paint. I searched the site a gathered lots of info. My pressure washer is a 6 hp and with a turbo head seems to be a little aggressive, but it removes anything loose. Would you guys reccomend going ahead with the pressure washer even with possible damage, probably just small blisters, or switch to sanding? It has at least 4 coats of hard antifoulant and I want to use ablative and possible epoxy barrier if it's worth it. I have done the pressure wash, sand or scotch brite and paint on other boats, but I realy like this one. I have a trailer now and can haul every other year or so. Is it worth the full strip and barrier coat? Any info would be appreciated.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2015 :  17:26:25  Show Profile
Whether it's worth the time and effort to strip the bottom depends on how bad it is. If the paint is reasonably smooth, then it doesn't need to be stripped. If it is thin in spots, it still doesn't need to be stripped. Just paint another coat over it. It only needs to be stripped if the surface is rough because it has many old coats on it, and the old paint has peeled and been painted over. Badly peeled paint which leaves the surface rough really detracts from the boat's performance. If your boat only has 4 coats of antifouling paint, it probably doesn't need to be stripped.

Whether a pressure washer will remove the antifouling depends on the type and thickness of paint on it. Soft paints will come off much easier than hard paints.

Your boat is a 1984. It's within the age range where blisters were epidemic. Nevertheless, not all boats in that era had blister problems. Your boat might already have barrier paint on it. If so, I'd suggest you try not to remove it. Only remove the old antifouling paint. If your boat doesn't have barrier paint on it, and, if it doesn't have a significant blister problem, I would suggest you not apply a barrtier coat.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2015 :  17:34:06  Show Profile
I have been looking for blisters and I do see some bumps, but when I investigate all I see is blue gel, like the white popped or the blue is the bottom and the white is the barrier. I am leaning more and more on full strip due to the fact that I see minor glass in some probably heavier fouled and more aggressively cleaned areas?

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2015 :  17:35:22  Show Profile
The pressure washer exposes these areas, but I am worried about the aggression.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2015 :  19:32:34  Show Profile
It's hard to visualize the condition of the bottom from your description. A close up photo or two would be helpful.

Most boats have a few small blisters, and they are easily repaired. Blisters are only a serious concern if they are big and deep.

I don't think a pressure washer would hurt the gelcoat if it's sound, but I would suggest that you not hold it on any blisters. I used a pressure washer on my boat without harm, and many people at my lake used one every year to clean the bottom at haulout time.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 03/24/2015 19:35:49
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 03/26/2015 :  17:46:30  Show Profile
I started sanding today in a few test spots. I found on the keel had mostly about 8 to 10 round high spots per square foot. I was thinking they were blisters. If I poke them with something sharp I am lucky if I don't get squirted in the eye. I have tried to upload pics, but I use a gen 1 iPad and having issues. Getting a new Tablet this weekend for my b day and I will figure it out. Is this a lot of blisters or kinda normal? I figure they are mostly smaller than dime size overall. I am leaning more towards a barrier coat if I do all this work. Thinking 2 gallons of west marine brand epoxy barrier, sound about rite? I know I also have to fix every blister and I am already for that. Again any help appreciated.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 03/26/2015 :  18:18:12  Show Profile
I haven't used the west marine brand bottom coat. I used the seahawk and was happy with it. That's the only I've used so I can't comment on the others much. I can say putting a barrier coat on is a lot of work and sailing season is almost here. The selling point on the seahawk is that is thicker than other barrier coats and doesn't take as many passes. I still made about 3 passes on mine and it took forever. I can't imagine wanting to do any more than that.

My thoughts are, make it good to go sailing and save all of the heavy sanding until winter.

Also, if your power washer breaks something loose, it was going to come off anyway. If you are keeping it in salt water, you can't go wrong with a good barrier coat and ablative paint. When I got down to the finish sanding on my hull, I was surprise at just how many little chips I had in the gelcoat on the bottom. I think I have some pictures I can dig up.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/26/2015 :  20:35:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Akenumber
If I poke them with something sharp I am lucky if I don't get squirted in the eye.

Don't let yourself get squirted in the eye! Wear glasses or goggles! That stuff is acidic and it will sting like heck or worse!
You've got blisters man... You can either let the hull dry completely for weeks or months then barrier coat, or pop them all (wearing eye protection) and fill them.
Or you could just paint them over and go sailing till next time you haul. Small blisters generally will not affect cruisers, while they'd bug the crap out of racers.

Edit: two-three gallons of barrier coat should do it. They explain that you need about 6 coats to completely eliminate water permeation.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 03/26/2015 20:37:32
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2015 :  06:01:56  Show Profile
Thanks for the info guys. As far as Seahawk brand I already use their bottom paint and will check out the barrier coat. I know it's late to start a bottom job, but in San Diego I sail almost year round. I have a lot of top side work to as well as add an alternator to my motor and some electrical work. Maybe I will save the bottom job for a few weeks and maybe some of the blisters will dry out a little. I have to order barrier coat anyways. Nice job on that bow repair, looks like it came out great.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page